The story behind Rain's partnership with Vodacom

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
The story behind Rain's partnership with Vodacom

Rain and Vodacom have a close commercial relationship – Rain has access to Vodacom’s sites and facilities while Vodacom roams on Rain’s new LTE-A network.

It looks like a match made in heaven. The roaming agreement with Rain helps Vodacom to overcome its network capacity constraints while Vodacom helps Rain to rapidly roll out an LTE-A network.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
What I don't understand is why Vodacom, the biggest network provider in South Africa, roams on a tiny little network like Rain, but Rain does not roam on Vodacom.

phly

Expert Member
What I don't understand is why Vodacom, the biggest network provider in South Africa, roams on a tiny little network like Rain, but Rain does not roam on Vodacom.

Rain has spectrum that Vodacom does not have but needs. The giving out of spectrum nationwide has been dragging out and Vodacom's network is already constrained.

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
Vodacom has a large subscriber base and are desperate for additional spectrum to enable their LTE capacity. They don't need additional roamers.

rain is a smaller network with more spectrum available but a smaller subscriber base and they can derive income from sharing the spectrum they have with Vodacom

If government gets its act together to assign the spectrum it is sitting on and to complete the TV digital migration process (which frees up additional spectrum) then Vodacom can pitch for a chunk of that spectrum and use it directly and they won't rely on the roaming agreement for capacity.

oldfart

I had nearly 2 years of brilliant service on Vodacms LTE, but then 2 months ago, it disappeared ! I suddenly had a speed of under 4 Mb, sometimes under 1 Mb !! like the old dial up service.
Daily calls, escalations and promises, resulted 3 weeks later in a technician calling, checking the signal, and switching my router to only use 3G, there is something wrong with the tower, he will get back to me , of course, I have heard nothing, but at least I have a somewhat slower internet now ( about 12 Mb on HSPD? whatever shown on the router.) but they are still charging me for LTE package.

McGuywer

Executive Member
Will Rain keep the same download speed for 10 years and then double it and then close down?
Or am I missing something?

willisau

What I do not get, when Iburst decommissioned we migrated to RAIN, than Rain shoved us over to Afrihost like garbage with the understanding that Rain is also decommissioning. The next moment Rain is advertising and not even offering to migrate us back?

ZuluKing

Starlink is about to replace all of them with speeds 50 X faster than fiber and Amzon will make it free!

MightyMuffinMan

Expert Member
Seems like good old fashioned nepotism and white privilege. Looks like vodacom management funded a new company using shareholder money which they probable own.

Daily Data

Yeah but are the costs coming down or are we still getting fleeced for data costs as usual?