The streaming subscriptions you can get for the price of DStv Premium

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
What the heck is Acorn TV?

Have Internet, regardless of streaming. In my household, streaming is a Johnny come lately, ...

But is starting to use a greater portion of the bandwidth used, mainly due to 4k streaming becoming a feature.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
The calculation would look significantly different if you consider your Internet expenses as a separate cost that would form part of your budget regardless if you have DStv or not.
It took a while, but you're finally getting it ;)
There are currently seven major streaming services officially available in South Africa
I prefer to think globally - Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Disney, and ESPN to name but a few.

Swa

Honorary Master
Finally the truth. You need to subscribe to all of them to replace Dstv.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Finally the truth. You need to subscribe to all of them to replace Dstv.

It's not an apples to apples comparison. There is a ton of streaming content in that pile that DStv does not and will never offer.

But you could spend $5 on a smart DNS service and better value options like the Disney+ combo and some random international sports service to surpass DStv on a smaller budget. DStv is not great value.

Swa

Honorary Master
It's not an apples to apples comparison. There is a ton of streaming content in that pile that DStv does not and will never offer.

But you could spend $5 on a smart DNS service and better value options like the Disney+ combo and some random international sports service to surpass DStv on a smaller budget. DStv is not great value.
Yeah I know. But it's always funny when people talk about price but have multiple streaming services, a VPN, an uber internet connection they try to justify as something they'd have anyway and then still resort to piracy and other illegal means to get content.

I get that Dstv isn't the greatest value but it's ironic that those who criticise can't replace it by staying within the rules.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Yeah I know. But it's always funny when people talk about price but have multiple streaming services, a VPN, an uber internet connection they try to justify as something they'd have anyway and then still resort to piracy and other illegal means to get content.

I get that Dstv isn't the greatest value but it's ironic that those who criticise can't replace it by staying within the rules.

Well, I can because F1 TV is legally available in SA for $5 and it's the only sport I care about.

But sure, you have to bend the rules if Supersport has the exclusive rights to basically all sport.

Swa

Honorary Master
Well, I can because F1 TV is legally available in SA for $5 and it's the only sport I care about.

But sure, you have to bend the rules if Supersport has the exclusive rights to basically all sport.
Not just supersport, but Netflix and other's SA offer is crap.

moorsh

I doubt anyone includes their Internet access costs in their price calculations. Internet access is something you need whether or not you're DSTV or a streaming service.

A real fair comparison would just compare the service's subscription costs & by that measure you can easily subscribe to 4 or more streaming services for the price of DSTV; or do what most people do: subscribe to 2 or 3 and still save money.

rvZA

Executive Member
There are many better subscription services at US$9 per month... some even include DSTV and its sport channels too.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
I started on the internet when it became available, pre Windows 95, using WfW 3.11, or Linux and have had it ever since, starting with a US ROBOTICS 28800 modem, ISDN, ADSL, now VDSL, yet to get fiber, and may go Fixed LTE-A to get better speeds.

Always had a reason to have internet, only recently has internet gained extra value, with the addition of streaming. Just as VoIP, Zoom/MS Teams, etc, have also added extra value, in a similar way.

Streaming is just a convienent addon.

Swa

Honorary Master
Huh? Netflix has a ton of awesome stuff. Including the best TV show the world has ever seen: Drive to Survive.
With or without VPN?

I doubt anyone includes their Internet access costs in their price calculations. Internet access is something you need whether or not you're DSTV or a streaming service.

A real fair comparison would just compare the service's subscription costs & by that measure you can easily subscribe to 4 or more streaming services for the price of DSTV; or do what most people do: subscribe to 2 or 3 and still save money.
I need internet access. I don't need broadband or a fixed connection.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
There are many better subscription services at US$9 per month... some even include DSTV and its sport channels too.

Well talking to a client, today, he mentioned that he was streaming content the weekend, at 4k 50fps, when I have a better relation ship, with him, will enquire further. Something he was testing.

DSTV is still dreaming of 1080p, never mind 4k 24 or 30 fps, 4k 50 fps is no where near, in popping up over their horizon.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
With or without VPN?

I need internet access. I don't need broadband or a fixed connection.

Without. I don't bother with that stuff. And you don't want to use a VPN, you want a DNS service like Getflix or Smart DNS Proxy if you're going that route.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
I cancelled DSTV in 2010
I cancelled SABC three months ago
I cancelled Netflix a week ago

All I have now is YouTube on my laptop, and it's free. And if I am desperate I will torrent but I hate doing that and haven't done that in donkey's years.

Winning :thumbsup: