The takedown of Black Opinion website: Poor SA Internet law

konfab

Honorary Master
Is freedom of speech in South Africa under threat?
Is the ECT act flawed?
It is, stupid opinions should be allowed to be shared and ridiculed. It is not the job of any one source to determine whether something is correct or not.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
It's a trade off between the exposure of the information against the possible public harm that might come from allowing this information to go out.
Since this group have made and are actively making threats of violence and illegal land grabs there is a need to protect the public.

konfab

Honorary Master
It's a trade off between the exposure of the information against the possible public harm that might come from allowing this information to go out.
Since this group have made and are actively making threats of violence and illegal land grabs there is a need to protect the public.

And that can be dealt with by charging those people with intimidation. However taking their views off the market of ideas only puts a cover on it.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
We’re taking back the land, says BLF as it prepares for land grabs

‘AfriForum is a bunch of land thieves. In fact, with the way they are continuing, I will organise to make sure that they leave this country,’ Mngxitama said.

Black First Land First (BLF) leader Andile Mngxitama on Wednesday said his organisation was gearing up for extensive land grabs across South Africa, which will be intensified next year.

“Black people are landless, we don’t have the land. We are just taking small pieces here and there, but we are [now] taking more and more.

“You will see that the campaign is going to intensify … 31st December is the night when we are going to make sure that we are ready. We are setting up land expropriation committees across the nation, identifying white-stolen land,” Mngxitama told reporters in Pretoria.

Read More...
http://citizen.co.za/news/1578873/were-taking-back-the-land-say-blf-as-they-prepare-for-land-grabs/

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
And that can be dealt with by charging those people with intimidation. However taking their views off the market of ideas only puts a cover on it.

When you and I both know that the police and the NPA will not act on this, then who does the responsibility fall back to?

konfab

Honorary Master
When you and I both know that the police and the NPA will not act on this, then who does the responsibility fall back to?

And that would have happened regardless of this website being up or not. As for who we can turn to: the law. I foresee more groups forming private prosecution units.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Let's be under no illusion, these guys do not give a stuff about you or your free speech.
If we lived under their government, would you enjoy the same rights?

TEXTILE GUY

Honorary Master

This ^

Pre 1994, the NP tried - unsuccessfully to ban, hide and supress the likes of the ANC and PAC - it didnt work. The movement went under ground and IMHO - the NP seriously under estimated the ANCs et al. capacity to effect a campaign of disruption and propaganda against the apartheid state.

The US have their Al Qaeda issue - and be sure - they are allowing - to an extent - the proliferation of information on the internet as part of their intelligence gathering efforts.

Peoples views and opinions are a fact, allowing them to express them - whether on a public or underground platform is the issue. JZ is being given prime space to articulate his opinions on the state of the nations future. He finds popular support from some people - and that drives his faction. Personally, I find alot of his diatribe quite toxic - especially when its aimed at the media, judiciary and particular people with opposing views or cultures to his. Is this any worse than the Black Opinion and Mngxitama toxic drivel? (A rhetorical question).

Edit: Are the EFF in any better shape to claim the moral high ground - and they too enjoy prime media space.

R13...

Honorary Master
And to think they are busy prosecuting Malema, but leaving Andile and his goon squad to call for way worse. NPA are a bunch of captured idiots and they have the call to protest when people say their prosecution decisions are political.

konfab

Honorary Master
Let's be under no illusion, these guys do not give a stuff about you or your free speech.
If we lived under their government, would you enjoy the same rights?

Absolutely not, but that doesn't mean their retarded opinions are not going to exist just because you take down their website. I would prefer if people post all the crazy stuff they think about. That way society can see it coming and prepare. Blocking websites and pretending everything is fine is delusional.

Nuke

Wait till these geniuses find out land != money.

Will be even worse when they find out land=hard work. Many farmers I know have a 5am to 10pm workday. Also, mielies don't quite understand that they have to grow faster without water because you burn tires and dance.

daveza

Honorary Master
31st December is the night when we are going to make sure that we are ready. We are setting up land expropriation committees across the nation, identifying white-stolen land,

What, all seven of them ?

Tikkop

Will be even worse when they find out land=hard work. Many farmers I know have a 5am to 10pm workday. Also, mielies don't quite understand that they have to grow faster without water because you burn tires and dance.

Most farmers I know are elderly, rich, buy their children cars cash, hire others to do the hard work.

Mine workers also work hard, but still live in relative poverty.

TEXTILE GUY

Honorary Master

The hard work usually doesnt always quite work ..... take Zim as an example.
The land has changed hands and many acres lay fallow - the country changed from the bread basket of Africa to the begging bowl.

I like your mielie example - bout sums it up. :)