The 'tantalizing' plan to regrow soldiers' flesh with pig cells

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
http://theweek.com/article/index/22...n-to-regrow-soldiers-flesh-with-pig-cellsnbsp

The 'tantalizing' plan to regrow soldiers' flesh with pig cells
Can a groundbreaking new procedure help the human body rebuild lost limbs much like a lizard regrows its tail?

Thanks to a new muscle-repairing treatment that relies on pig cells, thousands of injured soldiers might be able to regrow portions of their damaged limbs.

That's all, folks? Just a few months into a clinical trial, researchers at the University of Pittsburgh have made "swift progress" using pig cells to regrow sizable chunks of missing human flesh. The first soldier to enroll in the trial lost 70 percent of his right quadricep in an attack — but now the missing flesh is back. "What would have been an amputation is now somebody with a limb that works," says Dr. Stephen Badylak. The Pentagon is pouring $250 million into regenerative medicine research, and Badylak's pig-protein procedure could become standard practice after the trial wraps in two years. Here's what you should know:

Pig cells help humans regrow body parts?
Badylak's technique uses something called an "extracellular matrix" containing "growth factor proteins from pig bladders," says Katie Drummond at Wired. Surgeons implant that mixture in damaged areas. It then attracts the body's regenerative stem cells and stimulates "the process of tissue and growth repair" — even on bones and nerve endings. Basically, we put a porcine "homing device" inside the body that "recruits (human) stem cells on its own," Badylak tells MSNBC. "It’s a shortcut."

And this works?
It does. Before the clinical trial began, 25-year-old Marine Cpl. Isais Hernandez lost more than a quarter of his right thigh when a mortar exploded, causing shrapnel to slice violently through his legs. In 2008, he volunteered to be the first human test subject. "They cut a little slit into my thigh where they were going to put the material," Hernandez said. "It was like blood in an envelope." After months of regenerative therapy to train his new muscles, Hernandez can play sports and is trying to get "fit enough to re-join the Marines."

What's next?
After successfully operating on four soldiers, the research team is training surgeons from around the country. For civilians, this treatment could even be applied to victims of car accidents, or be used to help people who lost limbs to diseases like cancer and diabetes. The prospects are "tantalizing," says Drummond.

Imagine your whole body being haram [unclean]? :D

porchrat

Honorary Master
Wow...

I would seriously be interested in knowing how Islam and Judaism would handle this one.

Also how would I stop myself from eating my own delicious new thigh muscle... goodness me.

EDIT: Oh goodness I just thought how awesome it would be to have a stem cell culture running that would perpetually produce bacon for you. Oh wow that would be awesome.

Last edited:

copacetic

King of the Hippies
Finally, a way to deal with all those pesky Islamic cannibals!

FrankCastle

Executive Member
I'm sure they'll resort to halal/kosher cow and sheep bladders for the muslim soldiers.
:D

Rockhound

Wow...

I would seriously be interested in knowing how Islam and Judaism would handle this one.

Also how would I stop myself from eating my own delicious new thigh muscle... goodness me.

EDIT: Oh goodness I just thought how awesome it would be to have a stem cell culture running that would perpetually produce bacon for you. Oh wow that would be awesome.

ROFLMAO :D

I just love this idea.

Brilliant

VioAdmin

Expert Member
Only $250 MILLION?

They need to put like $1 BILLION into this asap! This is what I have been waiting for. Japan has already made some advancement in this field...I hope maybe they can work together with the US(I doubt) so that we can release this ish asap.

I want buy a motorcyle but I had a friend who lost his leg when he crashed...Imagine, if they can get this to regrow full limbs, motorcyles here I COME!

Knyro

PhD in Everything
It's ironic how much advancement war has brought the human race.

Not in this case. Research into the extracellular matrix has been going on for yonks. People lose limbs all the time not just from war so it would have happened anyway.

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
Some religious groups are going to have problems with this.

azbob

Honorary Master
Any specific reason why it's pig? Do pigs have a certain compatibility with humans that, say, squirrels don't?

grok

Honorary Master
Yeah, they tried it with squirrels but couldn't get the test subjects to stop hoarding nuts!

Knyro

PhD in Everything
Any specific reason why it's pig? Do pigs have a certain compatibility with humans that, say, squirrels don't?

Yes, pigs have many similarities to humans physiologically, especially when it comes to things like internal organs and tissue.

grok

Honorary Master
Now where was this research when Tshabalala-Msimang needed her liver transplant? Oink!