The test patern/tone on VHS cassettes

bigboy529

Expert Member
I think it's safe to assume that everybody born before the year 2000 has seen a movie on a VHS cassette sometime in their life and for older people it was a standard in their lives for a long time before DVD took over.
We rented VHS movies and we also recorded straight from TV for personal use, no piracy in those days. I remember my grandfather having a stack of recorded rugby matches from big Currie Cup finals to legendary Springbok toors and my grandmother had tons of Egoli episodes. I myself recorded some movies but also series like Viper, Team Nightrider and Orkney snork nie, to name a few.
Before I get off topic, do you remember the test patern/tone at the start of a video cassette? It was a patern with vertical bars of cullor and a 1 KHz sine wave tone and this patern played for about 5 or so seconds. The theory behind it, was that if this patern played through without any glitches in the video or audio, you could be sure that there will be no glitches on the entire cassette. But as we all know it didn't work out quite this way, and I'm sure a lot of you also watched a rented James Bond movie half way through, then the tape goes bad and you mis about 10 minuts of the movie.

Keegan

Expert Member
lol - I once recorded Titanic for a girl I liked in school, I dont think she had Mnet, Well it didn't get me any brownie points :crying:

Last edited:

moondoggie86

I actually bought the Forrest Gump and The Shining VHS' although I had digital copies. Something about the "SD" quality that appeals to me :p

bigboy529

Expert Member
Analog will always give you better quality than digital. There's magnetic tape for audio and video like the VHS cassettes and reel to reel tapes for audio, then there's also vinyl for audio. Only down side to any analog medium, the more you use it or longer you store it, the more it degrades.