The Tiger is out!

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Well I took the plunge and let the Tiger (Mac’s new OS – 10.4) out of the cage. I’m impressed. It’s not just the ease of the upgrade and never being asked to enter a serial number but the overall improvements in speed and appearance.

There are a host of nifty features, my favorites being – a stack of useful widgets a la konfabulator, my screensaver is now a highly stylized but easily readable RSS feed of my choice (currently set to MyAdsl), Spotlight searching makes finding anything almost too easy, and the iChat upgrade that just makes me wish I had a faster internet connection (512 adsl currently) so I could try out the multiway video .

Security wise its built on Unix so I don’t have to say much more than that do I?

Any other Mac users contemplating the upgrade I say go for it. Make a carbon copy of your existing hdd first if you like and then install away. It took a 1/2 hour to install on my G4 powerbook followed by 45 minutes of background indexing by Spotlight (60+gb on a 100gb hdd to get through).

Anyhow – more exploring to do!

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I know :) But I'm not one to gloat.

dominic

Legal Expert: Telecoms
i see that they are being sued for patent infringement wrt Tiger...[sorry no link]

kilps

Expert Member
I saw that as well - what a joke

I can't wait to get Tiger for the mac - its currently running OS9 so I will need to upgrade my software :( - expensive

bb_matt

Executive Member
Well, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to talk about it here, but I tried the latest Longhorn build and can only say that it will be 2007 before it's ready ! ;)

MacOSx is way ahead as usual - will definately be making the switch next year for a work machine !

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
bb_matt said:
Well, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to talk about it here, but I tried the latest Longhorn build and can only say that it will be 2007 before it's ready ! ;)

MacOSx is way ahead as usual - will definately be making the switch next year for a work machine !
Excuse the pun - but are you saying longhorn is a load of bull? (longhorn=>breed of cattle=>bull):)

fergus

Expert Member
I think you're onto something there bwana :)

If I could afford a Powerbook I'd get one no question. The only problem is they're so much more expensive than regular notebooks.

bb_matt

Executive Member
Over here they are expensive, yeah.

Of course the shops like ZA store have all the excuses in the book for their 35 to 40% markups.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Price is always an issue - the cheapest place to get a mac has always been state-side. ZA prices are similar to UK prices.

Also, keep in mind their laptops are durable - I'm still using my 15" Powerbook from 4 years ago even though I just got a new one - actually - I gave it to my wife to abuse.

kilps

Expert Member
I think the prices are going down - still nothing like the Us's prices but ts a start - I think its the import tax they have to pay, and all companies have to make a profit

BTw - I worked it out - an ipod mini is half the price in the US (from SA)

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
iPod - that’s next on the shopping list - of course I'll be calling it an 60gb external firewire hdd so I can get my boss to ok it :)

kilps

Expert Member
:D - I also want one of those - but the 6GB mini would be fine :p

nocilah

Banned
ipod's rule. any flavour will do. surely you can con your boss that two 60Gb fire drives make sense in case one... er crashes :)

I will keep it nice n safe for you :)

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
An article on wired.com claimed that out of all the Microsoft employees who had portable music players 80% had iPods - now if thats not a testament what is?

I'll settle for one right now but thanks for the kind offer halicon :)

kilps

Expert Member
Didn't the artilce mention that the managment where trying to restrict ipods? :)

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Dominic Rooney said:
Bwana, so how are you finding it after you've had it for a week?
Havent had it a week yet - My pre-ordered copy arrived on Tuesday (way before I expected it seeing as it was only released on Friday 29th).

Its a hard comparison to make with 10.3 - I never had any problems with that one either. Still, it seems quicker, functionality has increased - especially with the new all searching spotlight - and its got a ton of new things that just make ya want to say ‘cool’.

If you've got the hardware I'd say go for it. Ask me again in a few days if you like - I'll have had time to tinker with it a bit by then :)