The top 5 cyber-threats of 2011 according to Norton

Tpex

Teh Cyber Ninja
well at least their advice is sound... unlike their Software.....

Wow cut and paste any more...Plagiarism me thinks

"3.Beware of trending topics – Cybercriminals are savvy when it comes to the latest social trends. Whether it’s X Factor or Strictly Come Dancing gossip, cybercriminals catch on to these trends and poison search engine results, which can leave users at risk of clicking on an infected link. Norton Safe Web Lite is a free tool that identifies poisoned search results to help Internet users protect themselves from cybercrime.
"

Antonf

Expert Member
The biggest "cyber threat" in South Africa is the cost of broadband.

BTW, who has ever taken Norton seriously? If I have a choice between a virus on my notebook or Norton's software it's going to be togh, but I'll make a Plan B.

Moshidi

I almost can't take anything Norton says or does seriously, but I think social networking sites are posing quite a danger, especially in a country like ours. "harmless spam" links are becoming quite popular and more people are falling prey.

cozinsky

Expert Member
The greatest Cyber-threat = Norton
I must agree. I don't like they way Norton takes over your whole pc. The neverending scanning is the worst which bogs everything down for hours. I use a free antivirus called Avast. Works like a charm. I have not picked up a virus in many years and have been browsing some risky sites. It quietly does its work without you even knowing it is there.

milomak

Honorary Master
it's amazing how from NAV turned from being one of the lauded products to the shambles in reputation it is today. i guess the same could be said of McAfee as well.

edit - speaking of which, what was the company that used to make PC Tools?

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
it's amazing how from NAV turned from being one of the lauded products to the shambles in reputation it is today. i guess the same could be said of McAfee as well.

edit - speaking of which, what was the company that used to make PC Tools?
PC Tools was made by Norton before it was taken over by Symantec.
Back then Peter Norton had a big hand in the running of the company.
They made innovative and cool software back then.
When Symantec took over... it was a slow but steady downhill.