The top fixed-LTE deals in SA

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
The top fixed-LTE deals in SA

Fixed-LTE is the connectivity method of choice for many South African households which cannot get fibre-to-the-home services.

The service offers subscribers a high-speed, low-latency solution with fairly high monthly usage limits at a much better rate than traditional mobile data products.

biometrics

Honorary Master
Comparing Telkom Smartbroadband Wireless 50 GB.

Article:

1557940896601.png

Telkom website:

1557940931831.png

So where is it?

And why does the one offer 70 GB anytime data and the other 100 GB anytime data. With the same product name?!

Thor

Honorary Master
Cut those prices in half then you will get my attention - still far too much fat in there for a utility product.

Comparing Telkom Smartbroadband Wireless 50 GB.

Article:

View attachment 658470

Telkom website:

View attachment 658472

So where is it?

And why does the one offer 70 GB anytime data and the other 100 GB anytime data. With the same product name?!
Because Telkom is as much a dumpster fire as ever.
I would never recommend Telkom to anyone, under any circumstances.

SynergyZA

I have been using the 200+200 Telkom for over a year now, no contract, just buy the bundle each month. I paid cash for the router. No one else offers the same after hours data or even close to it.
While it is good value and probably the only LTE option that will work for me... I still want Fibre :(
Signal is sometimes quite iffy and speeds vary from 5 to 35mbps.

MEIOT

Expert Member
I can't believe that no service provider in all the years since Telkom offered their first LTE Uncapped at a good price, has released a competing product similarly priced.
I know the infrastructure doesn't support the model, which only means there should be more focus on infrastructure enhancements.
Yes, Telkom followed up that initial amazing offering with a horrible LTE offering - but still, tons of people on the initial offering are still enjoying it.
And yes, I know that fiber is ultimately being pushed so the radio infrastructure doesn't need to be upgraded, and funds have been funneled to realize the fiber dream - but theres still a place for Wireless/LTE/4G/5G as a primary home connection.

cavedog

Honorary Master
I can't believe that no service provider in all the years since Telkom offered their first LTE Uncapped at a good price, has released a competing product similarly priced.
I know the infrastructure doesn't support the model, which only means there should be more focus on infrastructure enhancements.
Yes, Telkom followed up that initial amazing offering with a horrible LTE offering - but still, tons of people on the initial offering are still enjoying it.
And yes, I know that fiber is ultimately being pushed so the radio infrastructure doesn't need to be upgraded, and funds have been funneled to realize the fiber dream - but theres still a place for Wireless/LTE/4G/5G as a primary home connection.
The big issue is spectrum. Enough radio spectrum released with clear conditions at what data prices must be would see LTE give fibre a run for their money.

LTE is such a great solution. When the tower is not congested and with half decent network transit the local latency is about 16ms or so which is still very acceptable and in most cases lower than adsl.

phex

How can I sign up for fixed LTE if all these companies have not UPDATED their coverage maps on their websites?
I could be shooting my own foot.

I have been using the 200+200 Telkom for over a year now, no contract, just buy the bundle each month.
I paid cash for the router. No one else offers the same after hours data or even close to it.
Please can you supply a bit more detail on this deal
Price / Availability / how you get it etc etc
Thanks
I am STILL waiting for my "free" router from Telkom
Been paying FULL price for Unlimited Home ( on POSTpaid ) for ages now but NO you may NOT have your "free" router !
What is the difference if I pay the FULL price over the same period as a contract customer -- except I have NOT signed a contract ?

MEIOT

Expert Member
Enlighten me oh wise one :) How do you do it?
Well most months I go over 500GB on my Telkom Uncapped LTE offering - squeeze out quite a bit even after being throttled. My observations seem to show that I only get throttled around the 350GB mark - not sure if this is common with everyone on the same package. Haven't bothered exploring further.

Plus I use the 50GB Torrent cap too

MEIOT

Expert Member
As an addendum - I supplement my Telkom LTE with a RAIN off peak package as well.
For an extra R250 a month - I could easily do over a terabatye each month

So that's R775 a month all in for over a teraybe a month - roughly 8 cents per GB (were i to download 1 terabyte)

All this without the additional 450GB telkom offers for night data at R59

Yirhu

1080p and some 4k streaming makes those GB's pile up real fast :ROFL: Not to mention the damn sizes of digital game downloads and updates these days :(
Very true, point in case; I used to get the 450GB mo'nice deal until telkom realised that I'd use all of it before it expires downloading ps4 game updates, hd movies and series in hd. A serious pirate can quickly go through 1/2 a terabite of data within 30 days.