The Top Gear Thread (Post JC; RH & JM)

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Top Gear returns and these are the standout cars

Top Gear is back. The new series of the world’s biggest motoring show sees Matt LeBlanc, Chris Harris and Rory Reid at the helm, with appearances by German race ace Sabine Schmitz, Formula 1 supremo Eddie Jordan, and the international man of mystery referred to only as ‘The Stig’.

Amazing cars and stunts

In this new seven-part series, Top Gear’s presenters journey across wild Kazakhstan in cars with nearly a million km on the clock, tackle an old-school motorsport in Cuba, blast through America’s wild west in convertible supercars, and attempt to turn an ugly South Korean people-carrier into a luxury yacht to rival Monaco’s finest.

LeBlanc, Harris and Reid also review the latest and greatest cars from around the globe; from the Ferrari FXX K to the Aston Martin DB11, Porsche Cayman and Alfa Romeo Giulia.

Oh, and an eight-wheeled, all-terrain monster from Russia, because no series is truly complete without an eight-wheeled, all-terrain monster from Russia.

It’s all brought to you from Top Gear’s famous test track and famously draughty studio, where a fresh crop of celebrities will attempt to impress with their driving skills.

Top Gear Season 24 facts:

• £2 000 000 (R31.6-million, est.): Value of the most expensive new car tested in Series 24.

• £4,500,000 (R71.1-million, est.): Value of the most expensive new vehicle tested in Series 24.

• 1: Number of heroic rough collies featured in the new series.

• 917 326: Kilometres on the clock of this season’s leggiest car, Chris Harris’s venerable Volvo.

• 40: Number of Ferrari FXX K race cars that will ever be built. And Top Gear’s driven one of them.

Locations

• UK (Wales, Lancashire, Derbyshire, Isle of Man)
• Montenegro
• Germany
• Kazakhstan
• USA (Nevada, California, Florida)
• Monte Carlo
• United Arab Emirates
• Cuba

Vehicles

Avtoros Shaman (Wamah)

Porsche 718 Cayman

Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrafoglio

Aston Martin DB11

Mercedes S63 AMG

Ferrari FXX K

Lamborghini Huracan Spyder

Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabriolet

VW Golf Clubsport S

Ssangyong Rodius

Renault Twingo GT

Abarth 124 Spider

http://www.wheels24.co.za/WildOnWheels/top-gear-returns-and-these-are-the-standout-cars-20170307

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Watched the new episode last night and it was excellent. Finally seems they have their own identity and a good show. Maybe now that Grand Tour has aired people can let Top Gear just be what it is without comparing it to old Top Gear. My wife also enjoyed it, especially the Kazakhstan story since she was part of Shuttleworth's research team.

bluepoole

Watched the new episode last night and it was excellent. Finally seems they have their own identity and a good show. Maybe now that Grand Tour has aired people can let Top Gear just be what it is without comparing it to old Top Gear. My wife also enjoyed it, especially the Kazakhstan story since she was part of Shuttleworth's research team.
I also only finally had time to watch it last night. It is still entertaining and I will definitely watch the rest of the series too. Rouxenator is right, they have their own identity now and should not be compared to the old format. Die hard fans like myself should accept and appreciate that the "magic" lives on in Grand Tour.

It would be too soon and unfair to evaluate the series on one episode alone, but it was a little bland though. So far, I actually enjoyed the previous season more. And I enjoyed Grand Tour a lot more.

I'm also glad that Chris Evans is gone, but I thought the idea of a whole team of presenters was actually nice (when Eddie Jordan and Sabine were there too in the previous season), this concept would have strengthened their own identity, now it is again a three man team and then the mind automatically compares them with JC, RH and JM. Chris Harris was cool in the previous season but he was a little bit annoying in the new episode.

To further comment, I want to address FiestaST's comments on the top of the page:
- I also like the new intro and new celebrity car
- Also find it a bit weird that all three presenters now interview the celebrity
- Also noticed the excessive hand shaking and hugging!

I love the new look of the studio. Very little of the dialogue and jokes throughout the episode was funny though. It is as if they are uneasy and try way too hard...nevertheless, as said I still feel it is a good show with lots of potential, and I will make sure to catch the rest of the season.

Just my 2c.

AlphaBravo

Expert Member
Harris talks too much, and what is with the attitude towards the star in a car? Matt is holding the team together, by far the best yet bland and scripted. Rory is just terrible, although sounds the most not-scripted of them all, maybe he should be scripted as all his comments just lowers the class of the show. Hopefully he grows a personality as the show goes on.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Top Meme (contains MLG, JC, RH and JM)
[video=youtube;tvIWYt9FsAY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvIWYt9FsAY[/video]

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
Harris talks too much, and what is with the attitude towards the star in a car? Matt is holding the team together, by far the best yet bland and scripted. Rory is just terrible, although sounds the most not-scripted of them all, maybe he should be scripted as all his comments just lowers the class of the show. Hopefully he grows a personality as the show goes on.
Spot on. My wife remarked that isn't it funny that an American has joined Top Gear to replace the former British presenters who went to America. Matt is a real credit to Americans, however, especially when you consider the joke of an American racing driver cliche that Amazon decided to go with for their actual show in America (wouldn't that hick be even more insulting to Americans???).

Dave

Honorary Master
Joey LeBlanc was the only bright point of the Chris Evans (spits) season...

FiestaST

Honorary Master
2402 dl'ed. Will watch later. Could not find good size vs quality Extra Gear but no loss.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
2402 done. The Alfa Giulia QV insert with Chris was most enjoyable *until* Roy showed up with a boring "wall" challenge & just ruined it.

The Star/News combo section was rather bad ito of jokes & zero interest. Still weird how all 3 interviews the Star.

The Las Vegas "hangover" skit was cringeworthy.
The rest of the challenge was ok did drag in some parts.

On the whole Joey's jokes are rather crappy.

Dave

Honorary Master
I thought that C/H/M wouldn't have left one of the presenters at home and do a 2 car challenge though. It seemed wrong...

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Oh yes....But jeez that Alfa G QV is pron on wheels....Damn....

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Agree with F_ST regarding the *wall*. Was a wonderful segment until that point. Definitely think Chris Harris is the one to do the more serious evocative car tests (as his test of the FXXK last week showed). Enjoyed the Lambo and Porsche bit too, particularly the downhill freewheeling. On the whole, a very satisfactory episode.

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
This was officially as close to a perfect episode of a car show as can be.

It was beautifully shot, the scripting didn't feel overly-tight, the cars were special, the locations were evocative ... this was genuinely good.

3Gee

Expert Member
Those 3 clowns from The Grand Tour has to step up for season 2 . Top Gear gets my vote for now.

Quey_Quick

Expert Member
Those 3 clowns from The Grand Tour has to step up for season 2 . Top Gear gets my vote for now.
I was thinking the same while watching this episode. It was very good, they just need to revise the guest segment. One presenter and much shorter.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
So it seem early indication is that TG S24 is much more palatable to many than the dog's breakfast that was S23.

Surely I am not the only one to share the opinion that now the relative weak-link in the show is Joey LeBlanc?

For me he just does not gel that well. He is by no means horrible just not ideally suited imo. But of course that does not mean he will not get better with time.