The top music streaming services available in South Africa

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Right now I use Spotify because no one else is on their level with music discovery and curated playlists.

But they're in trouble if Apple Music improves their playlists. The library management and upload facility in Apple Music destroys Spotify.

They're also in trouble if YouTube Music gets better. YouTube Premium, especially the family subscription, is crazy value.

Given the writing on the wall, I'm amazed that Spotify hasn't invested more in the user experience, the ability to upload music, built-in EQ, folders for playlists, separating out playlists created by others, a better family plan etc.

Where not mention Simfy?
Because Simfy sucks. Play Music, YouTube Music, Deezer, Apple Music and Spotify are all better, so why discuss Simfy.

sybawoods

Expert Member
Tidal for it's uncompressed / hi-fi option is missing. It's a serious option for audiophiles with the appropriate equipment.

I've experimented with Apple, YouTube and Spotify, but keep going back to Spotify because of the overall user experience and music curation. I'm on a 3-month free Tidal trial. The music quality is awesome. The curation sucks. Will likely stick with Spotify and hope that they introduce a hi-fi option in the near future.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Until the others copy Spotify connect I'll continue to use Spotify. Also love the fact it's on virtually every platform.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Right now I use Spotify because no one else is on their level with music discovery and curated playlists.

But they're in trouble if Apple Music improves their playlists. The library management and upload facility in Apple Music destroys Spotify.

They're also in trouble if YouTube Music gets better. YouTube Premium, especially the family subscription, is crazy value.

Given the writing on the wall, I'm amazed that Spotify hasn't invested more in the user experience, the ability to upload music, built-in EQ, folders for playlists, separating out playlists created by others, a better family plan etc.

Because Simfy sucks. Play Music, YouTube Music, Deezer, Apple Music and Spotify are all better, so why discuss Simfy.
They focussed on podcasts and seems like it's working out well for them. Don't see them going anywhere anytime soon.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Tidal for it's uncompressed / hi-fi option is missing. It's a serious option for audiophiles with the appropriate equipment.

I've experimented with Apple, YouTube and Spotify, but keep going back to Spotify because of the overall user experience and music curation. I'm on a 3-month free Tidal trial. The music quality is awesome. The curation sucks. Will likely stick with Spotify and hope that they introduce a hi-fi option in the near future.
On Spotify though:
Which is 320Kbps vorbis, I think it is transparent at 256Kbps. I only have it set to very high as uncapped, so np on my laptop.

Dolby

Honorary Master
Yup - I ran both Tidal and Spotify ... Tidal for the quality and Spotify for the music discovery / curated playlists (mainly my car).

I've recently changed Spotify to YouTube Music though. For some reason, my car steering controls just stopped on Spotify.

joshuatree

Expert Member
Joox is mahala if you have access to Dstv Premium.

-----
I see somebody has mentioned it.

Cool for especially Afrikaans music.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
They focussed on podcasts and seems like it's working out well for them. Don't see them going anywhere anytime soon.
I still use Pocket Casts for playlists. No Bill Maher or custom podcast URLs is a deal breaker. Can't add ad-free subscriber streams in Spotify.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Don't forget that Youtube premium covers YT Premium, YT Music and Google Music. Google Play Music sub for R59.99 also covers YT Music so basically a 2 in which is nice.

There is Joox, Tidal and Simfy too.

We are blessed with all the music streaming services available to us. Very nice.

Kooku

You guys forgot to mention that if you subscribe to Youtube Premium you get no adverts on Youtube. In a family plan is crazy value for money, 6 family members for R109.99 per month. Also allows you to share app purchases from the play store

Last edited:

RonSwanson

Expert Member
Google Play Music family plan. Reasonable quality, bearing in mind I do not have esoteric ceiling level speakers (only one humble Bose revolve) so its lossy 320 Khz sampling isn't an issue, and I can store music offline, and comes in at R89 pm for 5 members, 10 devices each. What's not to love?

What are the alternatives? Amazon/ Youtube / Spotify / Deezer / Apple? What do they offer and at what cost?

We need a decent comparison for a change.