The top South African IT companies to work for

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member

Paul Kemp

Expert Member
Also Sage is in there who seemingly have serious management issues at the moment.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
How is CellC even on that list?
most of the list is suspect, they probably used criteria along the lines of:
- public company
- minimum x number of employees
- minimum y revenue
- minimum z level BEE certification

then from those pick the "best"

Joe Average

Dimension Data, SAP and CellC, you can't be serious, they either corrupt or insolvent.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Samsung Electronics South Africa is listed as an Electronics entity? I would have figured that Samsung SA's operations are predominantly a sales and distribution operation with minimal to no real electronics work at all.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Samsung Electronics South Africa is listed as an Electronics entity? I would have figured that Samsung SA's operations are predominantly a sales and distribution operation with minimal to no real electronics work at all.
Yeah, it is kinda strange seeing Microsoft and Samsung there. Neither does any programming in SA, pretty sure of it. Both are pretty much just IT sales.

I guess "IT" is a very broad term, but I would want to see which are the best companies to work for in South Africa if you actually want to program and not just sell Microsoft Surface computers.

ToxicBunny

Yeah, it is kinda strange seeing Microsoft and Samsung there. Neither does any programming in SA, pretty sure of it. Both are pretty much just IT sales.

I guess "IT" is a very broad term, but I would want to see which are the best companies to work for in South Africa if you actually want to program and not just sell Microsoft Surface computers.

To be fair to MS in their SA operation they do have significant technical skills in the operation locally...
So they can classify themselves as an IT operation to some degree, and it could be classed as a decent place to work more than likely.

quax

I feel this is a thumb suck. What about Altron? I wouldn't work at a Chinese company like Hauwei with anything less than 100% increase in my currently salary, those hours will suck the life out of you. A lot of corporates have just about taken IT in their own hands with very credible IT shops in the organisations. Every company has an IT element. This is an extremely limited view.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Also Sage is in there who seemingly have serious management issues at the moment.
Sage have a lot more than management issues to worry about.
Their cloud services being down in the week of tax deadlines is a pretty big issue to deal with.

ToxicBunny

I'd say their only problem is that they restructure pretty much every 2 years. Although its been a while since I've known anyone there.

Many large corporates do the restructure every 2 - 3 years to some degree or another...