The top websites which South Africans love

Lord Farquart

Expert Member
I would have thought you would be higher up on the list. Can you guys really be proud of the position you occupy on that list? Everything you do is to generate traffic (clickbait etc), so you might have a high page view, but the content is usually not quite relevant to what the user/clicker actually wanted. Even polls created by you is nothing more than traffic generators.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
The war is on.
Prepare for more click bait articles and ads.

Pixelbender

Well, that's why MyBroadband intentionally removed the "Forum Discussion" link from the front page, so you cant skip to the Forum discussion immediately. You need to open the article first.

More page views, more traffic, more revenue, should have moved them higher up on the list but it's been getting worse.

I would have thought you would be higher up on the list. Can you guys really be proud of the position you occupy on that list? Everything you do is to generate traffic (clickbait etc), so you might have a high page view, but the content is usually not quite relevant to what the user/clicker actually wanted. Even polls created by you is nothing more than traffic generators.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
With so many ad blockers blocking effective measures and the like, how accurate are these stats these days considering the fact that those who spend the most time on the internet are those with ad blockers enabled (I'm guessing here).

semaphore

Honorary Master
With so many ad blockers blocking effective measures and the like, how accurate are these stats these days considering the fact that those who spend the most time on the internet are those with ad blockers enabled (I'm guessing here).

Because websites measure GEO traffic either via internal or using google analytics.

rpm

Admin
Staff member
The content is usually not quite relevant to what the user/clicker actually wanted.
Can you give examples from today's articles? Since you say "usually", I assume most of the content will fall into this category.

Over to you.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Can you give examples from today's articles? Since you say "usually", I assume most of the content will fall into this category.

Over to you.

The only issue I have today is the huge amount of separation of articles, I'd rather a lot of the Telkom stuff had been put together. Example: Employee numbers + restructure; Fixed lines + FTTH numbers and maybe the G.Fast as it's not really big news (considering that it's only for select complexes).

that is normally how a website operates that depend on ads for income, right?

rpm

Admin
Staff member
that is normally how a website operates that depend on ads for income, right?
It is indeed strange that people label high traffic or the focus on attracting readers as a negative thing. It is a good measure to see if you provide a service which people want and like.

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member

This is an interesting question and it would be cool to quantify it. Considering we write for a technical audience, my intuition says we would have a larger relative ad-blocking userbase than the other sites, so we could actually be seventh :D

Kevin Lancaster

MyBroadband Editor
The only issue I have today is the huge amount of separation of articles, I'd rather a lot of the Telkom stuff had been put together. Example: Employee numbers + restructure; Fixed lines + FTTH numbers and maybe the G.Fast as it's not really big news (considering that it's only for select complexes).

Thanks for the feedback. We split articles into single topics as it is easier for most readers to consume.

If we put a lot of info into one article instead of three smaller articles, for example, the reader is unlikely to read the whole article. It is also frustrating for readers if they see a headline about 100Mbps G.fast for, for example, and then the information is mixed in with other topics - like subscriber numbers or fibre growth.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
This is an interesting question and it would be cool to quantify it. Considering we write for a technical audience, my intuition says we would have a larger relative ad-blocking userbase than the other sites, so we could actually be seventh :D

Are you guys going to use an internal script for page count for a day and then compare to Google Analytics? Would make an interesting article.

Thanks for the feedback. We split articles into single topics as it is easier for most readers to consume.

If we put a lot of info into one article instead of three smaller articles, for example, the reader is unlikely to read the whole article. It is also frustrating for readers if they see a headline about 100Mbps G.fast for, for example, and then the information is mixed in with other topics - like subscriber numbers of fibre growth.

Yeah, I understand what you mean. It's just that they logically fit together. Maybe allow a spoiler in the article like on the forum, so it fetches the content of older articles as an embed headline? You'd still get both clicks if they're always checking instantly, but the user doesn't have to search later. You'd put it at the end of the article, like the recommended links, just that it doesn't navigate away.

Last edited:

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Since I just managed to single handedly bump you up the list a couple of places, can I have a MyBB cap please!

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
All the John Doe's out there know about ad blockers and how to install them? News to me.

Over to you.
Not sure about article content because I almost never go to the main site but a perfect example of clickbait from today --> https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showth...-plans-for-Ethereum-and-the-future-of-Bitcoin