The trade war between the US and China could hinder SA economic growth

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
The trade war between the US and China could hinder SA economic growth

The trade war between the United States and Huawei has been escalated once again after the US ordered companies to halt business with Huawei.

This resulted in the revocation of Huawei’s Android licence, raising questions about how customers will be affected and whether the Chinese smartphone manufacturer would be able to continue developing Android smartphones.

diabolus

Executive Member
SA got bigger hinderances to economic growth than US vs. China , easy to pass the blame for government's own inability to grow the economy.

SilverCode

US-China trade war – Bad news for South Africa
When it comes to the trade war’s impact on South Africa, the country will be affected negatively, in a similar manner to other developing economies
Roodt told MyBroadband that this trade war is especially bad for emerging countries like South Africa.
It is bad news for financial markets and the world economy, especially for emerging countries
If the trade war gets worse however, it will have a particularly negative effect on South Africa, Roodt said.
It will be bad for South Africa, especially via the financial markets
Okay, but why? This article keeps repeating the same thing, but offers no examples or explanations of why it is bad.

Can I submit an article to MyBB about how butterflies are bad for shark cage diving without backing it up with actual information?

Pythonista

It's the old "when America sniffs, the whole world catches a cold" story. But sadly without explanations. My simple take is that Huawei are going to sit with a shitload of stock and with any luck, they'll dump a ton of it here at ridiculous prices. Now that may upset local Samsung/Apple/etc sellers, but it will make me excited. I won't touch one of their phones if it has their "plan B" O/S though - must be an AOSP - preferably Lineage

Reactions: Swa

Swa

Honorary Master
Chinese manufacturing company Foxconn produces a number of major electronic products for US companies, including Apple iPhones, iPads, Xbox consoles, and more.
Just ban MS and Sony. Would be nice seeing angry parents with pickets at the white house.

Okay, but why? This article keeps repeating the same thing, but offers no examples or explanations of why it is bad.

Can I submit an article to MyBB about how butterflies are bad for shark cage diving without backing it up with actual information?
Because it's bad for everybody include 'Murica. Why the Dumpster is now starting to backtrack again.

It's the old "when America sniffs, the whole world catches a cold" story. But sadly without explanations. My simple take is that Huawei are going to sit with a shitload of stock and with any luck, they'll dump a ton of it here at ridiculous prices. Now that may upset local Samsung/Apple/etc sellers, but it will make me excited. I won't touch one of their phones if it has their "plan B" O/S though - must be an AOSP - preferably Lineage
While I would like to get a P30 Pro at R5k I don't think it will ever reach that point.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
So the Tanks, Chinks and the anc are going to further fvck SA up.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master

Thats painful.

Azg

Expert Member

Agreed the article is not too clear. I suppose a protracted trade war would lead to a slowdown in economic growth in China & USA , our biggest export markets. They will buy less from SA, at a lower price, meaning more trouble for an already limping SA economy.

Sarg3_ZN

We are already doing an outstanding job of hindering our economic growth. Those Western Imperialists mustn't come here with those tendencies of undermining the glorious work of our revolutionary leaders.

/s

Joseph matane

I just discovered China is the biggest producer of "rare earths #minerals" which USA import from China, this minerals are used for everything tech across the world. Chinese President recently posted images of his visit to rare earths #minerals factory if I may called it that, this was done as I reminder to USA government that the next iPhone may be ......

Last edited:

Swa

Honorary Master
I just discovered China is the biggest producer of "rare earths #minerals" which USA import from China, this minerals are used for everything tech across the world. Chinese President recently posted images of his visit to rare earths #minerals factory if I may called it that, this was done as I reminder to USA government that the next iPhone may be ......
With Dumpster doing a u-turn just after. China doesn't produce the minerals though, they just import and process them. A lot of times for the countries that import them back.