The True Origin of Romantic Love

battletoad

Expert Member
This text is based on natural selection.

A female friend once told me that cricketers have been using ball guards since 1874 but only started wearing helmets since 1974. All the females in attendance proceeded to bash on males...
But what they did not consider was that protecting one's family jewels is quite a cunning strategy for the continuation of our species.

Throughout nature, males of most species (hereafter referred to as only males) are genetically predisposed to spread their seed as far- and in as many warm incubators- as possible. Just ask any farmer, a bull in the company of many cows is more virile than a bull with a lone cow for companionship. This occurance is known as the Coolidge Effect (named after US Pres Coolidge, google it, its a funny story). Due to survival of the fittest, dominant males would court more females than their weaker peers, since the dominant males would fight off any lesser male attempting to defile the females of the group.

Focusing specifically on our closest living relatives specieswise, monkeys (my blanket term for primates) have a social system whereby the popular chief (alpha male) has a harem of females to choose from, and he has lieutenants(other males in the group secretly vying to topple the charismatic chief from his perch) to help him ward off other troops, especially when competition for food escalates. As stated before, the alpha male will fight off lesser males for the affections of the females in the group(for any other monkey in the group to increase his chances of getting a pyp, he has to wait until the chief is occupied with other matters (sleeping, eating out of eyesight, etc.)). Hence, it ensures stronger offspring, and as such the species is better off as a result.

Now, what our fairer and more beautiful sex have found out is that if a male has numerous females to provide for(classic family case, mom in kitchen dad out working, remember love has been coming on for a long time so im not a male chauvinist), the resources going around are not as bountiful as in the case where only one recipient received all said resources(thats obvious i hear you say). As such, females are inherently jealous of- and continue to undermine- one another. So one cavewoman came up with a bright idea to keep her man only interested in her: she told him that they love each other romantically. And she kept on telling him, and we all know what happens if something is said over and over and over again (remember the macarena? was a totally crap song but played enough times over the airwaves to become a hit, so everyone started liking it). Ask any guy, he will tell you there was a time his gf/wife kept on and on about something(was lastig really), then the guy actually started believing what she said.

Anycase, in closing, a house with a female is infinitely more comfortable than a house without one, so perhaps females do know better

battletoad

Expert Member
What is the point?
Its a philosophical argument based on an accepted theory with valid assumptions, and anyone can tell me its utter crap with their own valid argument. Not this crap whole day about evolution vs creationism.

Basically boils down to this love thing that most chicks harp on about is none other than a way of making sure they get the maximum amount of resources they possibly can... twisting the truth and what not

Last edited:

TheHiveMind

Banned
You can't beat the hell out of a guy for looking at your girl, talking to your girl, touching your girl or having a baby with your girl anymore. So is "love" not serving men in a similar fashion?

Last edited:

BinaryJack

Spam
How can we discuss/debate your statement?
:confused:

I'll try it this way. :eek:
I wont call it love that the females are using for their own benefit.
It is more the promise of opportunities for the man to sow his seed as many times as he wants to without too much hunting or effort.

battletoad

Expert Member
You can't beat the hell out of a guy for looking at your girl, talking to your girl, touching your girl or having a baby with your girl anymore. So is "love" not serving men in a similar fashion?
time in jail is not going to stop me from beating the hell out of a guy for that

How can we discuss/debate your statement?
:confused:
you could say its utter crap and give reasons
I'll try it this way. :eek:
I wont call it love that the females are using for their own benefit.
altho all of this was tongue in cheek, the point is that it is always for their benefit (disregarding daddy issues and all that)
It is more the promise of opportunities for the man to sow his seed as many times as he wants to ...
Im inclined to think that if you had say a harem, and ur main chick has a headache, you bound to find a willing partner in there somewhere.

...without too much hunting or effort.
LOL! thats a debate for another day... but i will say that experience has taught me that if a girl knows there are other girls involved and she's cool with that, she usually does things to let you know she's the best girl, including giving you less stress

battletoad

Expert Member
Just thought of something...

As our women get more independent, i'm thinking less marriages will take place, everyone too busy with careers and all. My initial text then kinda explains this

HyperBudgie

We need each other...Full stop...Unless you're gay....Then your needs are different....what does natural selection have to do with the love between Gay men and woman? Did homosexuality evolve as a result of over population?

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
I would assume the origin of love is based in survival?

Bipolardude.. many species have homosexual populations, and with certain primates (I think theres a monkey group that has like 76% of its population lesbian... Im not sure how that practically would look or work out and I am not sure if I want to know).

I dont think they are caused by over population.. though it might be, I actually have no idea what natural selection happened for that result. It could be genetic inheritence from our unisexual days.

HyperBudgie

Bipolardude.. many species have homosexual populations, and with certain primates (I think theres a monkey group that has like 76% of its population lesbian... Im not sure how that practically would look or work out and I am not sure if I want to know).

I dont think they are caused by over population.. though it might be, I actually have no idea what natural selection happened for that result. It could be genetic inheritence from our unisexual days.
Could be...they say Lady Gaga is a hermaphridite....

timgaul

Honorary Master
Sorry, but I don't feel you are right. Its a natural evolution of the species. In much the same way as we have religion (not this is not the time people...) and we bury and honour our dead, so we also focus on monogamy and marriage.

The feelings of grief and sadness for one who has died stems from the same feelings of love and dedication to friends, mothers, fathers, wives and husbands.

Romance itself may be a bit of a wooing technique, much like fluffing your tail feathers. However, the love and affection once it develops, is real.

BinaryJack

Spam

Interesting...where is Edduck now.
Would like to get his input on this.

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
Romance itself may be a bit of a wooing technique, much like fluffing your tail feathers. However, the love and affection once it develops, is real.
As it is in a lot of animals.

HyperBudgie

African and Asiatic males will engage in same-sex bonding and mounting. Such encounters are often associated with affectionate interactions, such as kissing, trunk intertwining, and placing trunks in each other's mouths. Male elephants, who often live apart from the general flock, often form "companionships", consisting of an older individual and one or sometimes two younger, attendant males with sexual behavior being an important part of the social dynamic. Unlike heterosexual relations, which are always of a fleeting nature, the relationships between males may last for years. The encounters are analogous to heterosexual bouts, one male often extending his trunk along the other's back and pushing forward with his tusks to signify his intention to mount. Same-sex relations are common and frequent in both sexes, with Asiatic elephants in captivity devoting roughly 45% of sexual encounters to same-sex activity.
Wonder what they use for loob?:erm:

timgaul

Honorary Master
Wonder what they use for loob?:erm:
Eish! Gay heffalumps! That's a scary thought. Then again that Horton character seemed a little too in touch with his emotions :/ And he had no female companion... hmmm... Maybe Dr. Seuss knew something we didn't?