The truth behind Takealot's major delivery delays

Hanno Labuschagne

Expert Member
Staff member
The truth behind Takealot's major delivery delays

Takealot’s distribution centres have been overwhelmed because of the increased demand for ecommerce due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Not only has this resulted in delays in shipping orders, but also in suppliers being able to deliver their stock on time, an industry source has told MyBroadband.

The source, who requested to remain anonymous, explained that third-party sellers are being held responsible for capacity problems at Takealot’s warehouses.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
It is tough times, and accommodations need to be made to adjust to a situation that is no fault of any of the parties involved.

What is bad is the lack of communications between especially Takealot and their clients.

mister

Executive Member
Not only has this resulted in delays in shipping orders, but also in suppliers being able to deliver their stock on time, an industry source has told MyBroadband.
So what's the problem industry source? Sounds fine to me.

ThinkCentre

Expert Member
In the end, you order from Takealot. They are responsible.
I had 3 orders cancelled because of their bad service in the last few months.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
In the end, you order from Takealot. They are responsible.
I had 3 orders cancelled because of their bad service in the last few months.
Yes, we order from Takealot, and yes, it is impossible to communicate with Takealot which to me is a big "No No", Takealot also do not communicate with their customers. Also very bad. I among a lot of my friends and acquaintances will remember this about them.

Apogee

Yes, we order from Takealot, and yes, it is impossible to communicate with Takealot which to me is a big "No No", Takealot also do not communicate with their customers. Also very bad. I among a lot of my friends and acquaintances will remember this about them.
I found this exact same issue with most online retailers and telcos.

It is as if the management stuck their heads in the sand, and left their support teams up to their own devices, basically hoping that the problems will go away if they ignore it.

Just try to get a hold of any of these companies, if you feel the need to spend hours on the phone, just to get nowhere.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
I found this exact same issue with most online retailers and telcos.

It is as if the management stuck their heads in the sand, and left their support teams up to their own devices, basically hoping that the problems will go away if they ignore it.

Just try to get a hold of any of these companies, if you feel the need to spend hours on the phone, just to get nowhere.
What Takealot and any other online businesses must not forget, is that they can got a hell of a long way on goodwill. Goodwill, is only achieved thru proper and good communication. Without any goodwill, you are done/finished.

blowdart18

Takealot has a booking system for sellers that allows them to reserve a slot to deliver their goods. In the past two weeks, sellers could not book slots sooner than a week ahead.
This seems a bit backwards in terms of thinking, as a third party surely I can print a barcode, send that barcode with product via courier to Takealot receiving for re-packaging, barcode gets scanned and product goes through to fulfillment.

Or alternatively Takealot has all these pick up points now, why can't third party sellers drop their products at pick up points for re-routing to Head Office ?

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
This seems a bit backwards in terms of thinking, as a third party surely I can print a barcode, send that barcode with product via courier to Takealot receiving for re-packaging, barcode gets scanned and product goes through to fulfillment.

Or alternatively Takealot has all these pick up points now, why can't third party sellers drop their products at pick up points for re-routing to Head Office ?
They are not that creative, nevermind having the flexibility to do that. They are a rigid structure, and adaptability is not a strength of theirs.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
I guess I've been lucky then.

Three orders over the past 3 weeks - 2 on time, 1 a day early.

j4ck455

Executive Member
Takealot has a booking system for sellers that allows them to reserve a slot to deliver their goods. In the past two weeks, sellers could not book slots sooner than a week ahead.
Is that the root cause in most cases or a minority of cases?

@Jan very good article :thumbsup:

Slegdehammer67

Clearly 'Take-a-Lot-of-Time' was not properly prepared for this and most probably because they based their plans on the rules/trends prior to the Con Virus...those rules/trends slates etc have all been wiped clean I'm afraid.

Plans etc will have to be done on-the-fly as it were until some sense can be made out of them...until then it will be like walking in the dark with a torch with half dead batteries in it....

Last edited:

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Clearly 'Take-a-Lot-of-Time' was not properly prepared for this and most probably because they based their plans on the rules/trends prior to the Con Virus...those rules/trends slates etc have all been wiped clean I'm afraid.

Plans etc will have to be done on-the-fly as it were until some sense can be made out of them...until then it will be like walking in the dark without a torch...
They making a pile of dosh, and they figure the mini - boom of online sales is not worth their time and effort to up their game. Besides, they probably do not have any high expectations of it going on for any period of time, long enough to grab their attention.

mister

Executive Member
Three orders over the past 3 weeks - 2 on time, 1 a day early.
Same in Durban.

I just had two orders arrive early, one without notification, and the other was so early they couldn't be bothered to put it in a box! First time I've had no box...