The UNISA thread

Mokgaga

Is anyone else still waiting for their honours application to be processed? Registration closes in a week. I have already been to a regional centre to follow up and have sent emails but no communication.
In the same boat. I suspect they will extend the registration date due to the strike

Genisys

Executive Member
I am planning to study IT through UNISA. They have a diploma in IT qualification, but not a Bachelor's Degree. Between BSc in Computing and BSc in Informatics, which would be closest to a Bachelors in IT?
There is a way to get a BSc, after doing a diploma, however, you are missing out on a lot of computer science material, so you are likely better off sticking to informatics when you do your BSc if you opt to go in that direction. http://osprey.unisa.ac.za/curricula/ that page explains it better.

gerritcar

I am planning to study IT through UNISA. They have a diploma in IT qualification, but not a Bachelor's Degree. Between BSc in Computing and BSc in Informatics, which would be closest to a Bachelors in IT?
Between Computing and Informatics, the main difference is that Computing is more focused on the science/logic part (you do computer theory modules as well as some maths). Informatics is less focused on the science modules and more focused on strategic management and accounting.

I personally have zero interest in accounting and management so I opted for the Computing route. I enjoyed the computer theory modules very much and will also be doing modules in computer graphics and artificial intelligence.

Either way, good luck and enjoy!

CoffeeWarrior

Hi everyone,

What's your method of study?

I have 5 modules, but only do one module day.

Do you guys study a little of every module every day, or do you break it up?

Go_Getter

Hi everyone,

What's your method of study?

I have 5 modules, but only do one module day.

Do you guys study a little of every module every day, or do you break it up?
I prefer to study a little of every module keeps things from getting boring/too repetitive.

I also don't study every day usually take 1 day off per week.

CoffeeWarrior

I prefer to study a little of every module keeps things from getting boring/too repetitive.

I also don't study every day usually take 1 day off per week.
That makes sense.

How do you keep track of what you have studied?

This is my first time doing distance learning, and I am a bit disorganised. I am afraid I will not get everything done in time.

Go_Getter

That makes sense.

How do you keep track of what you have studied?

This is my first time doing distance learning, and I am a bit disorganised. I am afraid I will not get everything done in time.
You can look at the study units of each assignment and ensure that you know the work beforehand.

With distance learning consistency is the most important factor for success.

LaughingRat

Quick query for those who've done computer science through unisa. I'm currently doing COS2601 (Theoretical computer science) and COS2614 (contemporary programming). Next semester I can only pick one of the corresponding 3rd year courses. Which one is more important to continue straight on with? ie: Taking a break would make the subsequent 3rd year course much harder.
Thanks

Ejeckt

Quick query for those who've done computer science through unisa. I'm currently doing COS2601 (Theoretical computer science) and COS2614 (contemporary programming). Next semester I can only pick one of the corresponding 3rd year courses. Which one is more important to continue straight on with? ie: Taking a break would make the subsequent 3rd year course much harder.
Thanks
Both of those modules' successors continue directly where the other left off, and both use the same book which was used in the predecessor, so it really depends on how you feel about the subject matter and how easy/difficult you find it. I did COS3711 and COS3701 after a semester break from their predecessors and didn't find it too difficult to jump back in.

I'd take COS3701 as it's more theoretical and just keep your C++ and Qt practice up now and then to stay sharp and not forget any of the concepts for COS3711. There's some really good Qt programming series you can follow on YouTube. If, however, you really struggled with COS2614 I'd take it's successor sooner.

LaughingRat

Both of those modules' successors continue directly where the other left off, and both use the same book which was used in the predecessor, so it really depends on how you feel about the subject matter and how easy/difficult you find it. I did COS3711 and COS3701 after a semester break from their predecessors and didn't find it too difficult to jump back in.

I'd take COS3701 as it's more theoretical and just keep your C++ and Qt practice up now and then to stay sharp and not forget any of the concepts for COS3711. There's some really good Qt programming series you can follow on YouTube. If, however, you really struggled with COS2614 I'd take it's successor sooner.
Thanks. Yeah I asked because I'd heard warnings about 3rd year QT Programming. I'm also sure I remember somebody on this thread saying that one should make sure they followed directly on, either for COS3711 or COS3701, I just can't remember which one that recommendation applied to!

Was there a particularly good QT programming series on YouTube that you can recommend?

Ejeckt

Thanks. Yeah I asked because I'd heard warnings about 3rd year QT Programming. I'm also sure I remember somebody on this thread saying that one should make sure they followed directly on, either for COS3711 or COS3701, I just can't remember which one that recommendation applied to!

Was there a particularly good QT programming series on YouTube that you can recommend?
Search for a YouTuber called VoidRealms. He's got a like a 100+ part Qt C++ series. You can also sign up with ivtutor, they have classes for both COS3711 and 3701 I think. There's also a few good Qt resources on Udemy which I think is quite worth it.

BeeDeeM

In the same boat. I suspect they will extend the registration date due to the strike
What are the chances they are going process our applications before the 'final' extended date for registration? This is a joke. I applied in September last year for Honours in Computing. Can Honours students register in semester 2 or are the modules all year modules?

Last edited:

Mokgaga

What are the chances they are going process our applications before the 'final' extended date for registration? This is a joke. I applied in September last year for Honours in Computing. Can Honours students register in semester 2 or are the modules all year modules?
im going to UNISA Pretoria campus this friday, 14 Feb, or Sat if i dont receive an offer from them. Deadline for registration is monday 17 Feb :mad:

Go_Getter

As far as I know honours degrees only have year modules, but can't see how you wouldn't be able to register in semester 2 regardless.

BeeDeeM

Exams for Hons is only in January/February, so can only register up to 7 March (or 9 March).
You are right. Phew! There is still hope for me to study this year. Don't really want to take a break because it will be difficult to get back into it.

Saf07

Hi Guys,

is there a place to sell UNISA text books? i just completed the informatics degree my text books are all in excellent condition. looking to sell them off..

BeeDeeM

Hi Guys,

is there a place to sell UNISA text books? i just completed the informatics degree my text books are all in excellent condition. looking to sell them off..
I used Textbook Trader last year, sold most of my Informatics books. You probably wont get as much money as a private sale but it is convenient and it beats having to meet up with all sorts of strangers.

LaughingRat

Search for a YouTuber called VoidRealms. He's got a like a 100+ part Qt C++ series. You can also sign up with ivtutor, they have classes for both COS3711 and 3701 I think. There's also a few good Qt resources on Udemy which I think is quite worth it.
Thanks