The UNISA thread

Claymore

Executive Member
I wonder what will happen with exams? I honestly can't see it being safe to put thousands of people in an exam hall in May or June. I've at least been getting cracking on my assignments, although one, which involves volunteering, has taking a bit of a knock...

Filosofer

I wonder what will happen with exams? I honestly can't see it being safe to put thousands of people in an exam hall in May or June. I've at least been getting cracking on my assignments, although one, which involves volunteering, has taking a bit of a knock...
Was also wondering about this. Maybe they will ask us to do portfolios instead. But that's just a guess.

Ejeckt

This is going to be interesting. Hope it's not what I think though, as I've done open book timed testing before at another University and I find that there's usually more pressure and questions are harder, and the textbook doesn't really help anyway as you've barely enough time as is. That was a more practical programming module though...

The May/June 2020 examination period to continue using alternative assessment formats
The extension of the national lockdown declared by President Cyril Ramaphosa has meant that Unisa has had to make some far-reaching decisions regarding the May/June 2020 examination period.

The May/June 2020 examination period will continue, but no venue-based examinations will be written during this time. The university will, instead, make use of alternative assessment formats for this examination period.

Your lecturers will confirm on myUnisa the type of examination you will write for each module. This information will be available on myUnisa early in May 2020. While the May/June 2020 examinations will take a different format, we remind you that Unisa has a zero tolerance for any form of plagiarism or examination dishonesty.

While we wish to encourage all students to make use of the non-venue based May/June exam opportunity, students who are unable to complete this assessment will automatically be deferred to the October/November 2020 examination period without penalty or additional cost.

We urge you to continue working on your assignments and preparing for your exams during this challenging time.

Last edited:

HeftyCrab

Expert Member
I'm pretty sure when I registered that I selected the option that says it will be my last semester if I pass everything. If I want to confirm, does anyone know if I can see that somewhere on MYUNISA? Or would I have to contact UNISA?

Old_Liver

I'm pretty sure when I registered that I selected the option that says it will be my last semester if I pass everything. If I want to confirm, does anyone know if I can see that somewhere on MYUNISA? Or would I have to contact UNISA?
IIRC, if you login to myUnisa and go to the admin tab, under academic record, it should say final year student or something like that.

HeftyCrab

Expert Member
IIRC, if you login to myUnisa and go to the admin tab, under academic record, it should say final year student or something like that.

Ah perfect! You are correct. Its under:

myAdmin tab -> Student Admin dropdown -> Academic Record.

Next to the qualification you are doing you have a "Status" and it says "Final year student".

Urist

Expert Member
Looks like we'll be doing our exams online folks.
They sent me a link to a questionnaire to find out what devices I have.

Claymore

Executive Member
Looks like we'll be doing our exams online folks.
They sent me a link to a questionnaire to find out what devices I have.
Apart from that, my faculty sent a document explaining how to submit written assignments via smartphone (by taking pics of the pages). I hope we won't have to do that for the exams! My hope for the exams is either MCQ for the whole exam, or if essays are involved, to give us a day and a more complex assignment-type essay (one that doesn't require mere regurgitation). Of course, you need to make allowance for people not having power or internet on a given day, so there may need to be two dates available. At least one subject I've done (in industrial psych) had multiple dates for an online assignment.

ZibusisoZenkosi

Hi guys , please help.

I completed my Undergraduate degree and recently graduated for Honors Degree. However I wish to apply for Non Degree Purposes in order to up my points because I want to apply for Masters Degree.

How do I go about that. How do I apply and which form do I need.

Please help!

Claymore

Executive Member
So my final exam will be 50 multiple choice questions, instead of 50 marks of essays and 25 of MCQ. I'm happy about that. :)

kennyc

Hi Guys,

is there a place to sell UNISA text books? i just completed the informatics degree my text books are all in excellent condition. looking to sell them off..
Was this degree worth doing and how long did it take to complete?

faltzer

Hey All,

Is UNISA's BSc Computing undergrad degree the same as Computer Science? According to the description it's an "umbrella" term that combines both Computer Science+Information Systems (Now Informatics). Would it hold any weight compared to the BSc in Maths/Applied Maths and Computer Science?

Also when most people refer to a CS degree, which of the above UNISA degree's would they be referring to? The BSc in Math+Computer Science seems much more of a math degree than CS when you look at the modules.

Would you be able to say you have a CS degree if you complete the BSc Computing degree or not?

gerritcar

Hey All,

Is UNISA's BSc Computing undergrad degree the same as Computer Science? According to the description it's an "umbrella" term that combines both Computer Science+Information Systems (Now Informatics). Would it hold any weight compared to the BSc in Maths/Applied Maths and Computer Science?

Also when most people refer to a CS degree, which of the above UNISA degree's would they be referring to? The BSc in Math+Computer Science seems much more of a math degree than CS when you look at the modules.

Would you be able to say you have a CS degree if you complete the BSc Computing degree or not?
Yes, to my mind the Computing degree is the closest to a "computer science degree" in the general sense. You do a lot of computer theory and some maths, so it's pretty much pure computer science. The Informatics degree is a lot more slanted towards accounting, management and governance, with some of the higher level computer science modules.

So if you are more interested in the science part, do the Computing degree. If you are more into the management part, do the Informatics degree.

Just my 2c.

cguy

Executive Member
Hey All,

My understanding matches @gerritcar. I just wanted to add that if maths is your thing, there are definitely advantages to the maths/app maths double major.