The unlikely uncapped ADSL provider which crushes the competition

konfab

Honorary Master
I would have gotten this, but Telkom was not interested in actually connecting me to their network.

I am far more happier with LTE.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
It is a farce to say that ADSL is cheaper than FTTH. The reason for this is that you must have a telephone and the ADSL line! If you do the maths, you could realise that ADSL is in fact more expensive than FTTH. Once you are used to using a FTTH line, you realise how inferior the ADSL service is!
Where did they say that? :confused:

Also, had you read the article you'd have seen that Telkom's Unlimited includes line rental.

Last edited:

InfidelGastro

Expert Member
Now add in the cost of multiple people streaming during their peak period and suddenly it's not so cheap... I think I'll stick with telkom.
OK. You stay loyal to them but one day you'll find out that they're all but redundant. They're that kind of dinosaur that rested for far too long on their laurels while they were a monopoly. Try as they might, they'll never make a very successful comeback. As for the rest of us, if it's loyalty that we're after, then investing in a dog is a far better bet.

Apogee

We need to kill 4Mbps. Minimum should be 20.

Right with you, but that can only work over fibre.

Not everyone will be able to reach 20Mb/s on ADSL, as it depends on the distance from the exchange/DSLAM.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
OK. You stay loyal to them but one day you'll find out that they're all but redundant. They're that kind of dinosaur that rested for far too long on their laurels while they were a monopoly. Try as they might, they'll never make a very successful comeback. As for the rest of us, if it's loyalty that we're after, then investing in a dog is a far better bet.
I look forward to the day when fibre is available in my area but until then my loyalty is to my wallet

LCBXX

Honorary Master
I have always found it ironic that most people, on this forum at least, whine about Telkom like there is no tomorrow, are with them as an ISP.

ponder

Honorary Master
Got openserve fibre and on the unlimited home package, very happy with the product and value for money.

das Toktokken

Honorary Master
Eish... but that ADSL upload speed. :sick:
You don't have to be a hoster to appreciate that even download is affected by upload and the ability of your machine to respond. It's particularly evident when you are on a busy network or sharing with a few others.... not to mention the affect on gaming.

Last edited:

jdido87

Expert Member
I have Telkom and had a Vox Fatpipe as well. Telkom HomeUmlimited performed way better. Just cancelled Vox.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
Right with you, but that can only work over fibre.

Not everyone will be able to reach 20Mb/s on ADSL, as it depends on the distance from the exchange/DSLAM.
My max is 10Mbps in my area. Can't go above. Others are 4Mbps.

Gathu

Telkom being the wonderful telkom... You're gonna get Fupped pretty bad
Nope, switched from capped Afrihost to uncapped Telkom a few months ago. On my 20 Mbps package the FUP is somewhere around 1Tb , if I remember correct , averages 400+ a month with no FUP warnings. Line quality is similar and sometimes better than I had on my Afrihost capped package - using it for online gaming, streaming, torrents and other high bandwidth consuming activities (YouTube being the highest consumer - 3 kids worth of youtube add up fast).

TelkomUseless

Honorary Master
I'm with VOX.

I won't support Telkom. Even though they have "better" deal.. screw them! They screwed us for years... now we have choice. As soon as I get Fibre in my area.. cheers ADSL (Telkom)

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Telkom is the best option for DSL users imo. Network quality seems good, some amazing bundle deals and generous FUP and soft caps.

A few family members have that R800pm deal for uncapped 10Mbps, unlimited voice calls, voice and DSL line rental etc. and it is epic value.

I'm with VOX.

I won't support Telkom. Even though they have "better" deal.. screw them! They screwed us for years... now we have choice. As soon as I get Fibre in my area.. cheers ADSL (Telkom)

Unless your fibre provider is Openserve, in which case hello Telkom.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Frogfoot just told me that they're starting treching in two weeks here. That would make three providers, currently have OpenServe as they were first, second option Vuma, can order, Frogfoot should be done sometime next year (Frogfoot takes insane amounts of time to roll out).
Just waiting for Octotel, pretty sure they're coming through as well.

And this from no fiber/not on any map two years ago.

uchoose

The trouble with Telkom is 24month contracts and poor service. I got a good deal with Telkom 60gb+60gb night and I bought 500gb extra night surfer for R50 which did me perfect. What happens they stop the 500gb night surfer and the 60gb+60gb is not enough but I'm stuck with 14month left of my contract. I became a fan of Telkom because of the 500gb night surfer, no one could match the deal. I told lots of people about it. Once the contract is up I will never ever touch telkom again. All that company does is eventually let you down.

GerardC

Forget it! Telkom can't give me better than 1.4 mBs on a good day and an average of 0.9 mBs... I've switched to one of the dish system providers and get 6mBs and 75GB for R 150 a month less!

So I don't have a landline? Yes, I use it maybe twice a month...

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Telkom UNLIMITEDhome working very well. Although they gave a SIM card with 3GB of WIFI data instead of 3G data and Telkom WIFI hotspots are impossible to find :(