The utter absurdity of what you can and cannot buy in shops

Smokey888

Expert Member
Gonna call this fake news until I see a gazetted amendment to the regulations stating that cigarettes are essential goods.
agree, as mentioned Netwerk 24 posted its not allowed. Article came out +- 60 minutes ago

SAguy

Executive Member
My bakkie's battery officially gave up on life today - Luckily have the wife's car, but I still need to push the bakkie out into the road so we can get her car out.

Assuming I can't buy a battery anywhere

ponder

Honorary Master
Tried to find some methylated spirits just now, after no luck at two supermarkets I went to a pakistani shop, they sold everything including cigarettes. Their level of hygiene was also more thorough, they sprayed & wiped after every single customer, did not touch bank cards or items as they don't use a scanner.

RaptorSA

Expert Member
Tried to find some methylated spirits just now, after no luck at two supermarkets I went to a pakistani shop, they sold everything including cigarettes. Their level of hygiene was also more thorough, they sprayed & wiped after every single customer, did not touch bank cards or items as they don't use a scanner.

What part of the country is this?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Gonna call this fake news until I see a gazetted amendment to the regulations stating that cigarettes are essential goods.

Well, according to the WC Provincial Government, Police and CT Council, it is okay to buy cigs if you also buy "essential goods".
They have said so, therefore, it is legal in WC. What this illustrates is the gross incompetence of the Ministers responsible in National Govt, when a Provincial Govt sees fit to rebel and decide to simply overrule National Govt.
In the meantime, they all sit on their hands and allow this confusion to carry on, with individual store owners now also starting to simply "ignore" the National "rules" and make up their own.
Instead what should happen is National Govt needs to MOVE in FIX up the mess.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master

Well, they can't see any mess can they? They created this nice little shitpile and for them to see any problem with it would be to admit their own shortcomings. Which to any actual leader or person accountable to the electorate is no problem, however, for this bunch of tyrants in training, it is complete anathema to consider they might have done something questionable.

I think rather than government moving to fix anything, Cyril needs to be accountable and take the reigns at this National Command Centre and separate the wheat from the chaff so to speak.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
But he specifically said he doesn't replace stuff just to have the latest and greatest (in other words, to keep up with technology).
i mean the people that moved from 4mb adsl to 50mb fibre, or 50mb fibre to 1gig and finds wifi can't keep up, i have 4 routers, from 4 isps over the time i've had fibre.

Ivork

Expert Member
Well, according to the WC Provincial Government, Police and CT Council, it is okay to buy cigs if you also buy "essential goods".
They have said so, therefore, it is legal in WC. What this illustrates is the gross incompetence of the Ministers responsible in National Govt, when a Provincial Govt sees fit to rebel and decide to simply overrule National Govt.
In the meantime, they all sit on their hands and allow this confusion to carry on, with individual store owners now also starting to simply "ignore" the National "rules" and make up their own.

Well there is none for sale around here - where did you get the above info from? link?

RaptorSA

Expert Member
Success!
Thank god for friends who plan around their vices... Now I can ration around something to look forward to at least.
Day #18 of self-isolation for me o_O

1585746860638.jpeg

Wasn't sure if I could still walk if it wasn't for this quick trip up the neighbourhood.

IdlePhaedrus

Expert Member

Takealot are selling small batteries, so I think they are "possibly" deemed essential. Who knows.

Midas is almost certainly shut, but you could try your local garage, mine stocks car batteries, but don't know if they are selling them. Haven't been out yet.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
My bakkie's battery officially gave up on life today - Luckily have the wife's car, but I still need to push the bakkie out into the road so we can get her car out.

And what when an essential service worker, like a doctor, has the same issue? The ****ing Brownshirts piss me off.