The wait for fibre in South Africa’s small towns and cities

Nuro

Expert Member
I recently moved from Joburg to Durban. Even here the level of fibre coverage is really bad.
DSL is spotty to average in even built up middle class areas. I went from 100Mbit symmetric fibre to barely stable 8mbit DSL :(

Last edited:

SirFooK'nG

Executive Member
I recently moved from Joburg to Durban. Even here the level of fibre coverage is really bad.
DSL is spotty to average in even built up middle class areas. I went from 100Mbit symmertic fibre to barely stable 8mbit DSL :(
Yip ... I have had go to a WISP.. DSL was only syncing at 6mbit

The_MAC

Expert Member
Density and LSM (Living Standard Measure)- those are the 2 biggest factors. Most small towns don't fit that criteria, and the ones that do, require long backhaul links that are costly.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Openserve has a big portion of Empangeni in KZN covered with more being deployed. Frogfoot has started planning fibre in Richards Bay.

I was actually shocked about Empangeni because it's such a small town yet Openserve pushed trenched fibre so quickly.

Joseph matane

Nice article but what about liquid telecom will they partner with ISP to roll out last mile connectivity in small towns I ask because in Mafikeng liquid telecom dominated fibre back bone and possible partner is Telkom since Openserve is already working on the ground as technical team

furpile

Expert Member
Openserve has a big portion of Empangeni in KZN covered with more being deployed. Frogfoot has started planning fibre in Richards Bay.

I was actually shocked about Empangeni because it's such a small town yet Openserve pushed trenched fibre so quickly.
I cannot wait for Frogfoot to start deployment in Richards Bay. At least we are "planned". It is strange that Openserve deployed fibre throughout Empangeni, especially the CBD. Vodacom deployed fibre to the golf estate in Meerensee, and then Openserve also deployed fibre to the golf estate. Nothing to the rest of Meerensee yet.

ozziej

ROFL. Really, small towns and cities are the only ones that have this problem? I live in a pretty large city near Johannesburg and we still are waiting for fibre rollout...

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
ROFL. Really, small towns and cities are the only ones that have this problem? I live in a pretty large city near Johannesburg and we still are waiting for fibre rollout...
Maybe it's a small town part of the Big City?

MidnightWizard

Expert Member
Does MTN not have a major -- transit facility in Empangeni ?

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
One residential block away from our rollout, but I heard that even if you are covered here it takes time...

RaptorSA

Expert Member
I actually feel guilty after finally getting my fibre then realizing I don't have the mojo to mess around on PC's all day anymore. The performance on Fibre is something to behold, oh how I wish I had it sooner.

3WA

Executive Member
What are they gonna do with fiber in rural South Africa? Do we really need the internet flooded with recipes for Klippies and Coke or potato salad with excessive mayonnaise?

RaptorSA

Expert Member
What are they gonna do with fiber in rural South Africa? Do we really need the internet flooded with recipes for Klippies and Coke or potato salad with excessive mayonnaise?
You can't sell off fibre like you can copper, but you can weave some impressive African themed baskets with those glass fibres.
True story.

cavedog

Honorary Master
I cannot wait for Frogfoot to start deployment in Richards Bay. At least we are "planned". It is strange that Openserve deployed fibre throughout Empangeni, especially the CBD. Vodacom deployed fibre to the golf estate in Meerensee, and then Openserve also deployed fibre to the golf estate. Nothing to the rest of Meerensee yet.
It's going to take about 2 years at least I reckon. It's going to have to all be trenched which is slow and very expensive but at least Meer en See is getting frogfoot which is really nice if you look at price.

If you look at Atomic Access for uncapped unshapped unthrottled on frogfoot
100/100 - R995
200/200 - R1249
500/500 - R1499
1000/1000 - R1949

Now that is some decent prices on Frogfoot