The Workout and Fitness Thread

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
I'm no biokineticist, but I'm sure the majority of injuries could be prevented if stretching was part of our workout routines. Over the years I've had plantar fasciitis, perennial tendonitis and quadriceps tendonitis injuries... all of which could have been avoided I'm sure if I was more flexible.

Passive stretching prior to working out actually doesn't help prevent injury and could contribute in some circumstances - performing a hamstring stretch before going out and performing a heavy deadlift might not be a good idea. I think there are some sport or activity specific situations where you might include passive stretches at the end of a warmup but I can't think of a good example at the moment.

A good warmup on the other hand consisting of rotational exercises to warm up the joints, some moderate cardio and finally some dynamic stretches (like the leg swings/raises you often see runners performing) is the best way to prepare for exercise (generally.)

Mobility of course will also contribute to preventing injury, as will adequate strength training and avoiding overtraining and overuse situations.

Having somewhat less than ideal flexibility myself, I've done quite a lot of investigation into it over the last couple of years and it's a whole other rabbit hole to go down! It's not always just a case of lengthening the muscles but there are aspects of the nervous system, sliding tissues and joint restrictions can all come into play.

What you said in an earlier post about consistency I think is key wrt flexibility and mobility and I think I will get better results myself if I can be more consistent with this. 10 minutes per day quality work is probably the bare minimum, either at the end of a training session or as a dedicated workout - probably quite a bit more if you have significant issues and want to improve quickly.

Kelly Starrett's books are worth checking out - 'Becoming a Supple Leopard' is a well known book and he has also written a running specific mobility book. His approach is more around new ideas of mobility rather than traditional stretching exercises.

GMB and School of Calisthenics (that I linked to earlier in this thread) also have a lot of good material on mobility and injury prevention.

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
New 1 minute HIIT program from Darebee might help some who need a quick home workout.

HIIT isn't usually something that is recommended to do every day (assuming you are giving it max effort which is required for the full benefits) but you could do this every other day or treat it as MIIT (Medium Intensity Interval Training is a thing.) You could also dip into this program on days when you just want a 15 - 20 minute workout to get it done.

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
1614416000701.png
Running the Rock and Roses trail tomorrow just had a not too hectic session with the jump rope today and did a little mobility work (since I was thinking about it earlier :) )

Work schedule is going to be a bit messed up this week so not sure how much I will be able to train. Think I will treat it as a recovery week and get in activity where I can.

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
1614506422432.png
Leisurely trail run with friends. Good weather for it today and nice fairly technical trails at B'sorah Luxury Tented camp and a pleasant wooded section along the river. Definitely worth the early start and the drive

ajules

Expert Member
My summary for February.Very similar to January so happy.Have built a reasonable strength base(for me!)for pull and leg exercises but push is my shortcoming from a strength perspective so will be giving this extra attention for the next few months.Have been carrying a minor shoulder injury which has stalled my progress on chest and shoulders.
e01d947142a56f64ef4fe4cdd744d578.jpg

BrendanSmurf

4x12 front squats with 70kg, 30s rests.

1min rest

4x15 dumbell calf raises, 30kg per hand, 30s rests

1min rest

4x15 Romanian deadlifts, 80kgs, 30s
1x20 with 50kgs

1min rest

1x12, 1x10, 1x7 split squats, 15kgs per hand. 1min rests (was utterly dead at this point).

About 5min rest haha... No idea what my heart rate was but I think it won whatever race it was in.

4x20 Seated calf raises with 80kgs barbell on the knees, 30s rests. Fire!!!

I'm dead!

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
Give this a try... It's quick but... Moer...

You'd actually get a good workout doing that without the weights!

Even with no weights, that's not a beginner workout though - you need a good base of strength before performing plyometric/power exercises to reduce the risk of injury - regress to normal squats, lunges etc until you are strong enough (a pretty normal workout then though!)

LOM

Honorary Master
You'd actually get a good workout doing that without the weights!

Even with no weights, that's not a beginner workout though - you need a good base of strength before performing plyometric/power exercises to reduce the risk of injury - regress to normal squats, lunges etc until you are strong enough (a pretty normal workout then though!)
I found around 15-20 kg works for me - it's not too bad but it's pretty hectic intensity wise. Your legs give way after that workout which is exactly the intention. Stairs suck haha.