The Workout and Fitness Thread

Everyones-a-Wally

Honorary Master
Yup but he did 5 minutes warmup then 10 minutes of 30 seconds all out and 30 seconds easy. So similar to my 10 minutes warmup before doing muscle training, but more intense.

So don't dedicate a day for it, but do it as part of your muscle building days. You need to warm up anyway, can do it as cardio or another way, but since you want to incorporate cardio, use it as your body warmup part.
Agree with this. Also, you get cardio and you get endurance cardio - endurance cardio can be catabolic - the idea is to get lighter to be able to endure longer, your body adapts. A 20 minute cardio session won't be catabolic, at least not to any significant extent. I like the idea of intervals too - 30 sec hard, 30 sec recover.
Cardio needn't be a long session if you do intervals.

Tinuva

The Magician
Today's workout.

Squats getting close to where I think I will get with this program. Made some real jungle man sounds today. Even the toddler mimics these sounds when picking up stuff
Overhead press is a struggle.
Deadlift still feels good.

b4cc3b7eafa9105d762c8ec72bd32e7b.jpg

c8014dc72a81671393aaf4d0d59112a6.jpg

Meister-Man

Expert Member
Today's workout.

Squats getting close to where I think I will get with this program. Made some real jungle man sounds today. Even the toddler mimics these sounds when picking up stuff
Overhead press is a struggle.
Deadlift still feels good.

b4cc3b7eafa9105d762c8ec72bd32e7b.jpg

c8014dc72a81671393aaf4d0d59112a6.jpg
Nice.
Is this starting strength or a similar program?

I miss those days, where lifting was simple, just add weight to the bar, eat, sleep and grow.

Enjoy it

Last edited:

Tinuva

The Magician
Nice.
Is this starting strength or a similar program?

I miss those days, where lifting was simple, just add weight to the bar, eat, sleep and grow.

Enjoy it
It is very similar I think. This is Stronglifts 5x5 and where Starting Strength has 3 phases, this doesn't. It is a static workout A and B and basically you keep going till you can't any more, than you can switch to a 5/3/1 program and then Madcow.

Anyways I have done this in the past and moved, but then life happened, wife, kid, etc and I basically did nothing for years. So this is my getting back up strength wise, then I will move on again to other programs.

Meister-Man

Expert Member
It is very similar I think. This is Stronglifts 5x5 and where Starting Strength has 3 phases, this doesn't. It is a static workout A and B and basically you keep going till you can't any more, than you can switch to a 5/3/1 program and then Madcow.

Anyways I have done this in the past and moved, but then life happened, wife, kid, etc and I basically did nothing for years. So this is my getting back up strength wise, then I will move on again to other programs.
I remember stronglifts, that's a decent program.
Should make good gains.
Good luck

BrendanSmurf

Very happy to say I now need more weights.
Sad to say that the weights I'm using (thinner HS plates from Sportsman's Warehouse) are thin on the ground.

For the past 6 months the Centurion branch has either had no plates or only the 20kg ones which I can't really use on the dumbells...

Ideally need 10kg plates, need 4... Such a pain that there's never stock by me...

Still currently on push pull routine... But decided to go for higher reps of everything.

So the weight I'd normally do 4x12 reps of, I'm going 4x20 but with pauses when I fail, and then go again within 15 seconds - did chest, shoulders and triceps yesterday, and just finished back, biceps, RDL's and calves today.... And I'm blown out hahaha

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
Very happy to say I now need more weights.
Sad to say that the weights I'm using (thinner HS plates from Sportsman's Warehouse) are thin on the ground.

For the past 6 months the Centurion branch has either had no plates or only the 20kg ones which I can't really use on the dumbells...

Ideally need 10kg plates, need 4... Such a pain that there's never stock by me...

Still currently on push pull routine... But decided to go for higher reps of everything.

So the weight I'd normally do 4x12 reps of, I'm going 4x20 but with pauses when I fail, and then go again within 15 seconds - did chest, shoulders and triceps yesterday, and just finished back, biceps, RDL's and calves today.... And I'm blown out hahaha

Will these do? https://www.benched.co.za/collections/new-arrivels/products/10kg-powercore-bumper-plate-pair

or here? https://www.mifitness.co.za/products/weight-training/weights/weight-plates/

BrendanSmurf

Cheers, I did enquire with both a while back and they don't have plates with 30mm holes.. I bought that size as a stop gap when Covid hit, now I can't really afford to start with a different system.

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
1619517519745.png
Basic Bodyweight Workout:

Indian Clubs and Jump Rope to Warm Up
20 Bodyweight Squats, Pushups and Front Lunges 3 sets
Ladder down from 5 Tricep Dips, Band Assisted Pull-ups, Hanging Knee raises
Finished with some elbow and side planks then stretch and cooldown.

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
Cheers, I did enquire with both a while back and they don't have plates with 30mm holes.. I bought that size as a stop gap when Covid hit, now I can't really afford to start with a different system.

Until you get more weights, you could also try performing the same number of reps at a slower tempo - increasing the time under tension.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Eish looking at some of you guy's workouts, I shudder to think how many calories a day you guys are consuming.

Meanwhile I'm mix-maxing with a intermittent high fat diet of ~ 2000 calories with a 10 minute circuit to ensure my fasting doesn't cobsume my muscle and another 10 minute circuit in the evenings to ensure my muscles deplete their glycogen reserves so I burn fat over night.

Seems most of you burn more calories in a single workout than all my workout combined in a week.

GaskooN

3days of trail running in the Berg. 4800m of climbing and 100km in total.
Best way to spend the long weekend
How did you recover enough for the following days? Especially with the elevation factor as well.

BrendanSmurf

Same boat as you, deep into the 30mm hole :|
Check Makro, they have a lot of different brand 30mm plates
Been to the Centurion Markro a couple times and plate stocks were empty. But pop in every now and then.

As ya'll can tell, I don't travel much hahaha, need to get my finger out.