The Workout and Fitness Thread

ajules

Expert Member
I am doing a push,pull,leg training split.For me that equates to 2 x pull days, 2 x push days and 2 x leg days per week.Needless to say leg days are always gruelling and the biggest challenge as you are recruiting so many muscles to get through the exercise.When you have 5 reps to go and you feel like passing out it can get very unpleasant .

Here is my progress this month so far:
c634ac651eb78f2dce885b90c59ef6c1.jpg

Meister-Man

Expert Member
I am doing a push,pull,leg training split.For me that equates to 2 x pull days, 2 x push days and 2 x leg days per week.Needless to say leg days are always gruelling and the biggest challenge as you are recruiting so many muscles to get through the exercise.When you have 5 reps to go and you feel like passing out it can get very unpleasant .

Where do you do deadlifts on a ppl split? Pull day or leg day?

Meister-Man

Expert Member
Correct, want to keep weight same.
You seem to know what you're doing but let me offer you this to think about. Unless you are within your first year or 2 of proper weight training, you will probably get better results if you focused on 1 goal at a time (muscle gain or fat loss). Nothing wrong with your idea of a long recomp, but progress will be slower.

BrendanSmurf

Also push pull, and also find leg day grueling haha. 42 years old, I take a while to recover and still tender come next leg day *manly whimper*

Looking for a cheap but reliable no frills heart rate monitor, any suggestions? Would love to know where my heart rate goes during a work out.

ajules

Expert Member
You seem to know what you're doing but let me offer you this to think about. Unless you are within your first year or 2 of proper weight training, you will probably get better results if you focused on 1 goal at a time (muscle gain or fat loss). Nothing wrong with your idea of a long recomp, but progress will be slower.

Definitely will take longer but I’m in it for the long haul.Have been eating around maintenance level and am still able to lose fat and build muscle but a pre-requisite has been to continue progressively overloading on the weights.

Joeboy69

Expert Member
Cycling and running is easy to record stats on with many different watches, phones etc. What do you use for other forms of exercise?

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
Cycling and running is easy to record stats on with many different watches, phones etc. What do you use for other forms of exercise?
My Garmin has setting for strength activities but it tends to be a bit inaccurate counting reps (for bodyweight exercises at least.) I use the cardio setting, mainly to track heart rate and calories expended.

6spdmanual

Expert Member

Do you manage to get in some cardio in a typical week?

6spdmanual

Expert Member
Also push pull, and also find leg day grueling haha. 42 years old, I take a while to recover and still tender come next leg day *manly whimper*

Looking for a cheap but reliable no frills heart rate monitor, any suggestions? Would love to know where my heart rate goes during a work out.
Do you mean a chest strap or something you can wear on your wrist? A complex mate has this: https://www.takealot.com/smart-band...8xJRWfB4MYTnLXdZrJxoCfwsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Maybe its something you can look into?

APoc184

Honorary Master
/sub

No lifting workouts for me this week after a small procedure last Friday.
Discomfort and swelling is only better from this morning.

Going to start taking walks with the kids for the rest of the week if the weather allows it.

Will jump back into the home gym next week again.

Jehosefat

Expert Member
I usually do about 10-11 hours a week split, roughly, as 5-6 hours cycling, 2-3 hours running, 1-2 hours swimming and 1 hour Pilates. Swimming is almost entirely in the pool, cycling is about 50/50 Zwift/outdoor. Will ramp it up to about 14 hours a week in the lead up to a big event (not that there are any of those going down soon).

DuckKnuckle

Expert Member
My BMI is good at the moment. I’m 174cm tall and weight 71kg. Would like a bit more of muscle mass. So maybe weight about 75/76 kilos. Body fat percentage is at 19% currently. That I’d like to remain the same or lose a few percentages. 2021 is definitely the year :thumbsup::)

What did you use to get these stats? I just bought the Bneta smart scale off of Takealot which arrived today, and even though I’m not expecting accuracy at that price, I’m glad to have some figures as a starting point to tracking progress.

Same height as you, hence curious. The app does provide some pretty interesting stats, which according to my friend with the same scale, do fluctuate after eating fatty foods, going for a run, etc

Also doing weight training and core 5 days a week for ~1.5 hours. No need for focusing on weight loss anymore and it’s just about building more muscle and staying in shape

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
I just bought the Bneta smart scale off of Takealot which arrived today, and even though I’m not expecting accuracy at that price, I’m glad to have some figures as a starting point to tracking progress.

Smart scales generally probably aren't necessarily that accurate in terms of your absolute body fat fat percentage but they are useful for tracking over time provided you stick to the same device and keep the conditions of your measurement as consistent as possible. Many devices have an 'athlete' or 'active' setting that makes quite big difference to the reading if you are very physically active.

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
1611768226020.png

I was a bit slack today in that I just dropped another jump rope HIIT workout again rather than taking the time to put together something a bit more varied. I've added it to my list of go to workouts that I can pull out and get done without having to prepare or think too much about it.

DuckKnuckle

Expert Member
Smart scales generally probably aren't necessarily that accurate in terms of your absolute body fat fat percentage but they are useful for tracking over time provided you stick to the same device and keep the conditions of your measurement as consistent as possible. Many devices have an 'athlete' or 'active' setting that makes quite big difference to the reading if you are very physically active.

Yeah I’ve enabled athlete mode and had my sister’s boyfriend review me and my stats and he’s stated they’re actually quite accurate, so that’s good to know. He did say I need to up my BMR, and that the body fat % could be 1 - 2% lower on the app, but that also varies per person.

If anyone is interested, it’s the Bneta smart scale on takealot. R799

Stats screen below:

17d12cb71d58296034702133dbb2c52d.jpg

Meister-Man

Expert Member
Hahaha I love food dude. I’m not very tall - ~1.74m

I used to weigh 87kg, and hated it. So I worked hard to lose it all and started focusing on getting slimmer and leaner, and now I’m focusing on muscle gain
Well done on losing the weight.
You're skinny now so you can do a nice long lean bulk and put on some nice size