The Workout and Fitness Thread

Meister-Man

Expert Member
Curious to know what you lifting folks do, when you're in a fat loss phase.
What adjustments do you make to your training?

Jaws677

Expert Member
How did you recover enough for the following days? Especially with the elevation factor as well.
I've been doing a lot of ultra events the last few years. Over time your body adapts . I'm training UTCT in November. With the new extended cut off time even plebs like me will be able to finish

Ive been extremely fortunate to stay mostly injury free, even with a non ideal build for running

BrendanSmurf

Since I was grossly overweight when I started training again, it's ALL fat loss phase for me at the moment, even with a lot of (clean) eating.
It's been kind of easy in that I've not had to think too much about it. Just lift hard, lift consistently and stop eating crap.

But at 43, trying to up muscle mass, drop fat, and remain injury free means I'm going to have to up my brain game soon.

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
Since I was grossly overweight when I started training again, it's ALL fat loss phase for me at the moment, even with a lot of (clean) eating.
It's been kind of easy in that I've not had to think too much about it. Just lift hard, lift consistently and stop eating crap.

But at 43, trying to up muscle mass, drop fat, and remain injury free means I'm going to have to up my brain game soon.
You can build muscle at any age, albeit not as easily as you get older but it is practically never too late.

Well done on your progress so far, keep it up.:thumbsup:

Meister-Man

Expert Member

Dude, you're doing a great job.
Yeah, it's definitely easier when you're able to gain strength week to week, even when cutting.
I don't have that luxury unfortunately, at the moment I'm trying to hold onto as much muscle and strength as I can during this cut.

ajules

Expert Member

It would depend on how much strength you have developed.For someone new to weightlifting you could likely increase your strength while losing fat whereas someone who has already developed a good base of strength might have to reduce the weights or reps slightly if they are in a cutting phase.

ajules

Expert Member
Today was deadlift day.
Started with 10 x 60kg and slowly ramping up to 3 x 140kg and then back down to 10 x 60kg.
Worked out to 60 reps in total.Just brutal on the CNS!
3fe2f7c450012a54ba8a639065003a56.jpg

syntax

Executive Member

I adjust my calories in vs calories out. My lifting routine stays the same and I dont usually drop my calories a massive amount so I dont feel weak or run down.
For me it is just a diet adjustment and not training.
I once dropped calories a fair whack and it messed with my training pretty badly.

syntax

Executive Member

We are not that far off in age and I am also terrified of injury.
I put myself on TRT about 6 months back (140mg Test E per week), have done regular blood work to make sure my free test, lipids etc are all in range and I am controlling estrogen.
The physical difference is considerable. My recovery is exceptionally good, I am able to increase muscle mass easier and my mental well being is night and day.

I know it is not for everyone and there are tons of opinions on these kinds of things, but it has made a large difference in my life, my mental well being and my self image / lifting.

Tinuva

The Magician
We are not that far off in age and I am also terrified of injury.
I put myself on TRT about 6 months back (140mg Test E per week), have done regular blood work to make sure my free test, lipids etc are all in range and I am controlling estrogen.
The physical difference is considerable. My recovery is exceptionally good, I am able to increase muscle mass easier and my mental well being is night and day.

I know it is not for everyone and there are tons of opinions on these kinds of things, but it has made a large difference in my life, my mental well being and my self image / lifting.
Nothing against you doing that, at least you getting levels tested.

Give this video a watch:
then the below will make more sense.

You can go with natural stuff and increase the levels within the natural range and you will get a bunch of benefits without having to worry about estrogen levels.

For me, I don't take all that stuff, only multi vitamins. The Opti-men multivitamins include 4 of the 7 boosters already and then you can add sex if you married or have a partner and your levels will be a-ok, most importantly, within the normal range where you can get all the benefits you want.

BrendanSmurf

I've managed with a 6 day push pull legs split for two months: 3 days, 1 day rest and 3 days etc.. But with my joints starting to act up (especially elbows and shoulders), for May I'm going to change up to an antagonistic split with a rest day between training days.

Day 1 - Chest, biceps and core
Rest
Day 2 - Back, triceps and calves
Rest
Day 3 - Legs, shoulders

Suppose I'm going to use rest days to hit anything I feel I missed or need more work on.

Nothing against TRT at all, (in fact nothing against PEDs either, just not my thing) but would consider it purely for medical needs... And not sure what I'd need to 'feel' to go get blood tested. I mean I'm getting as strong as I was 10 years ago, even though recovery is definitely slower. Bedroom drive is... unchanged haha, don't know what signs to look for.

And thanks to everyone for the motivation and advice!

Meister-Man

Expert Member
It would depend on how much strength you have developed.For someone new to weightlifting you could likely increase your strength while losing fat whereas someone who has already developed a good base of strength might have to reduce the weights or reps slightly if they are in a cutting phase.
All correct, but you haven't said what you do, when cutting.

Meister-Man

Expert Member
I adjust my calories in vs calories out. My lifting routine stays the same and I dont usually drop my calories a massive amount so I dont feel weak or run down.
For me it is just a diet adjustment and not training.
I once dropped calories a fair whack and it messed with my training pretty badly.

I hate cutting, so I try get it done as fast as possible, not an insane calorie deficit, just aggressive. I also keep training the same, however sometimes I drop a few sets across the workout to reduce overall training volumes a little.
I know based on where I am that there's no chance I'm building muscle while cutting, so a little less volume to maintain.

syntax

Executive Member
I hate cutting, so I try get it done as fast as possible, not an insane calorie deficit, just aggressive. I also keep training the same, however sometimes I drop a few sets across the workout to reduce overall training volumes a little.
I know based on where I am that there's no chance I'm building muscle while cutting, so a little less volume to maintain.

Cutting is awful. I would rather "cut" slowly than try do it quicker because it makes me moody, I hate being hungry and I am very sensitive to being on low calories so it affects my energy and training negatively.

When I was trying hard to lose weight I aimed for around 1% of my total body weight per week. This lasted around 8 weeks or so and then slowed down even further.

You might not be building muscle, but you dont want to lose it. Keeping muscle mass will help you burn fat and calories faster. If you lose muscle and fat at the same time, your body comp wont look great.

Lastly, severely cutting calories can have a negative effect on metabolism from what I understand. Meaning that you will get diminished returns quite quickly and when you try adjust to normal calories again, you will struggle to not make that turn into fat.

Goodluck though, its a long road but is rewarding.

syntax

Executive Member
Nothing against you doing that, at least you getting levels tested.

Give this video a watch:
then the below will make more sense.

You can go with natural stuff and increase the levels within the natural range and you will get a bunch of benefits without having to worry about estrogen levels.

For me, I don't take all that stuff, only multi vitamins. The Opti-men multivitamins include 4 of the 7 boosters already and then you can add sex if you married or have a partner and your levels will be a-ok, most importantly, within the normal range where you can get all the benefits you want.

Thanks will give it a bash. I have tried to make diet and lifestyle changes with regards to improving general health and well being. But (and I might correct myself after watching the video) there was very little that had a significant impact on my levels except introducing exogenous Test. Estrogen control is not particularly difficult especially with the frequency I inject and the relatively low volumes.

By significant impact I mean my levels (keeping in mind I am 39, have a very long history of alcohol and drug consumption) were around the 195 mark for ages. I improved this to near the 300 mark at certain points just with lifestyle adjustments.
With TRT I hover between 525 and 700. I can adjust this as needed but I think this is the range that offers the best reward with very low risk and side effects. I have no BP problems and cholesterol is bang on (although I sometimes have to take measures to reduce it).

I have done a few cycles with my levels going much, much higher and to be honest they arent worth it for me now. I am at a decent physique with good strength and energy levels and even though I sometimes miss the look you get when on a proper cycle, it is much healthier and better long term to just cruise.
Although sometimes I add a short oral cycle just because Im not completely able to let go of trying to get a little big stronger, bigger and faster...such is life

Meister-Man

Expert Member
Cutting is awful. I would rather "cut" slowly than try do it quicker because it makes me moody, I hate being hungry and I am very sensitive to being on low calories so it affects my energy and training negatively.

When I was trying hard to lose weight I aimed for around 1% of my total body weight per week. This lasted around 8 weeks or so and then slowed down even further.

You might not be building muscle, but you dont want to lose it. Keeping muscle mass will help you burn fat and calories faster. If you lose muscle and fat at the same time, your body comp wont look great.

Lastly, severely cutting calories can have a negative effect on metabolism from what I understand. Meaning that you will get diminished returns quite quickly and when you try adjust to normal calories again, you will struggle to not make that turn into fat.

Goodluck though, its a long road but is rewarding.
Thanks bud.
Yeah I tell myself I'm cutting aggressively, not recklessly.
If I do lose a little lean mass, I've got muscle memory on my side to regain it.

Tinuva

The Magician
Thanks will give it a bash. I have tried to make diet and lifestyle changes with regards to improving general health and well being. But (and I might correct myself after watching the video) there was very little that had a significant impact on my levels except introducing exogenous Test. Estrogen control is not particularly difficult especially with the frequency I inject and the relatively low volumes.

By significant impact I mean my levels (keeping in mind I am 39, have a very long history of alcohol and drug consumption) were around the 195 mark for ages. I improved this to near the 300 mark at certain points just with lifestyle adjustments.
With TRT I hover between 525 and 700. I can adjust this as needed but I think this is the range that offers the best reward with very low risk and side effects. I have no BP problems and cholesterol is bang on (although I sometimes have to take measures to reduce it).

I have done a few cycles with my levels going much, much higher and to be honest they arent worth it for me now. I am at a decent physique with good strength and energy levels and even though I sometimes miss the look you get when on a proper cycle, it is much healthier and better long term to just cruise.
Although sometimes I add a short oral cycle just because Im not completely able to let go of trying to get a little big stronger, bigger and faster...such is life
Ah ok sounds like you on a good level then.