The Workout and Fitness Thread

Any one used this type of KB? Or if you are avid KB user, do you see any issues with this ? @InvisibleJim - doesn't handle look a tad big for 16kg ?

Strangely, google image search doesn't point to origin of this. Doesn't happen often unless my google-fu sucks.

View attachment 1665741
I just grabbed these 3 from Makro (Shen cast iron kettlebells - 8/16/24kg).

A friend recommended them and he trains with kettlebells daily and is on the big ones already - 40kg+

They got delivered today, good quality and feel - would recommend.
(the shitty plastic one is the first kettlebell I ever bought and it sucked, cut my hand, is bulky - would not recommend it or the vinyl wrapped ones tbh).

(they stock up to 32kg - and pricing is very competitive - cheaper than Takealot and all the reviews are good on Takealot too).

1708722797034.png

Last edited:
For anyone interested in a suspension trainer, this one (via @shadow_man's link above) looks identical to the one I have and well priced.

My one is well made and these are a lot cheaper than the premium TRX brand.
Nice - for reference for those not in CPT - Shen is a local martial arts store and sells quality goods. I’ve been buying equipment from them for the last 10 years without issue.

1708759326785.png

Didn't quite manage sub 35 for Park Run today but still had quite a good run. It's getting into my favourite time of year for running - the mornings are not too hot or cold.

I think next week I will do intervals for my first after work run and a normal run with some elevation added back in for the second.

Week 2 session 3 of the Intermediate plan

Still really easy, but it had 3 little 500W bursts in it that got my attention ...

1708777185846.png

Sprint segment around the 23 minute mark so I manually bumped the power up a bit off the program - but not by much

1708777230431.png
1708777257595.png

I just grabbed these 3 from Makro (Shen cast iron kettlebells - 8/16/24kg).

A friend recommended them and he trains with kettlebells daily and is on the big ones already - 40kg+

They got delivered today, good quality and feel - would recommend.
(the shitty plastic one is the first kettlebell I ever bought and it sucked, cut my hand, is bulky - would not recommend it or the vinyl wrapped ones tbh).

(they stock up to 32kg - and pricing is very competitive - cheaper than Takealot and all the reviews are good on Takealot too).

View attachment 1666123
yoh - that 24kg KB, even if big, is still smaller in size than 16KB. :)

I had vinyl once (12 or 16 - I don't remember now). I got rid of it on gumtree as grip wasn't nice and couldn't handle it the way it was supposed to be and not due to weight but due to size.

Your friend, who trains with 40kg, must be a beast. Wow.

In general, it seems that smaller the size, more expensive it gets.

Last edited:
Didn't have much motivation this week. Only did a run on Wednesday: 22 min / 2.16km / 245 calories.

Then yesterday I forced myself to go for another run. 26.5 min / 2.53 km / 289 calories. The start was fine, but towards the end everything just felt off. It was as if my running shoe didn't fit properly or my strike was off. Got home and cooled down for a bit. Re-tied my shoe and went for another run.

20 min / 2.11 km / 235 calories. Second run felt MUCH better. Not sure what was going on and if it was just my laziness catching up to me on the first run..
So total of 4.64 km for Saturday.

Second 5k on the books!
47.75 min / 5.03 km / 558 calories
5k - 47:16. My best time yet. I think I can do better if I don't stop and walk when I hit 160 bpm.
Of course you can go faster... But that doesn't mean better! At your level: injury-free time on feet is "better" then speed with more benefits to your overall progress.

Just be patient you are very close to being able to run faster! Really. When you can do the whole run in 35-40 mins with a heartrate that stays under 160.. then you are ready for pushing speed.

Second 5k on the books!
47.75 min / 5.03 km / 558 calories
5k - 47:16. My best time yet. I think I can do better if I don't stop and walk when I hit 160 bpm.

Run slightly slower, do not try to push the pace. More steady pace in effect. Keep at this for a few weeks. You’ll notice you’ll start to need to walk less. Over time your overall times should start improving.

Remember: running is a tough mistress, she WILL punish you if you push her too hard.

Decided to put in a rest day today - tired this morning!
Dog started barking at about 3 in the morning - probably because the wind is howling and plant pots are moving around and garden furniture rattling.
It's been a LONG time since I've been woken up like that, with the sudden adrenaline surge - flashbacks to SA. Took a while to relax and get back to sleep.

Last edited:
Still man down from the viral infection last week - wife also caught it :(

Will do pilates this afternoon then take rest of the week off. Hoping to be back to 100% next week!

A bit annoyed at 1kg weight gain despite not really changing much in last 2-3 weeks. Anyhoo, hopefully it is just one of those things.

Played tennis for an hour on weekend - 527 calories so not too shabby considering I am a rank beginner. Coach tells me it can be 1000 calories if played properly.

Swim session went well and learning back stroke but it seems very very hard - How TF people do this? :cool:

Otherwise, cycling session continues for 30-40 minutes for 5 days a week. Added daily isometric holds and some core exercises for swimming improvements but hopefully they would be useful everywhere.

Of course you can go faster... But that doesn't mean better! At your level: injury-free time on feet is "better" then speed with more benefits to your overall progress.

Just be patient you are very close to being able to run faster! Really. When you can do the whole run in 35-40 mins with a heartrate that stays under 160.. then you are ready for pushing speed.

Run slightly slower, do not try to push the pace. More steady pace in effect. Keep at this for a few weeks. You’ll notice you’ll start to need to walk less. Over time your overall times should start improving.

Remember: running is a tough mistress, she WILL punish you if you push her too hard.

I'm not too fussed about speed. I don't think I can go any slower. The 160 bpm thing is just a bit frustrating at the moment. Having to stop and walk so heart rate can recover is a bit of pain when I feel fine to keep on going.

I'm not too fussed about speed. I don't think I can go any slower. The 160 bpm thing is just a bit frustrating at the moment. Having to stop and walk so heart rate can recover is a bit of pain when I feel fine to keep on going.

Heart rate goes up because your cardio is not (yet) up to the tasked required. Take it easier. Even if it means walking. First step to reduce the quantity / frequency of walking is to reduce running pace. If that is not possible keep on mixing walking and running.

PS: I was able to run 1:45 half marathons by taking regular walks, like walk through the waterpoints. So do not see walking as failure

I know the frustration bud!!! I know it soooo well hehe. But you're doing FANTASTIC. Just keep to the plan. You don't have to go slower haha that would be cruel.

You're updates give me big stoke here on the sidelines and I'm a big fan of your journey so I'm gonna keep cheering you on.

Maybe it is time to see if you can run at 160bpm for longer periods i.e. instead of walk try and find that pace that maintains it. See how that goes and report back!!

EDIT: and then when you start getting a bigger cardiovascular capacity then you try maintain 155, then 150 etc until you are in complete control of your HR at a variety of paces.

Back