The Workout and Fitness Thread

Sensorei

Executive Member
Only resistance training although I try to keep the intensity up and rest periods short so at times it does feel like I’m doing cardio.
Keep in mind that short rest periods between sets results in less muscle growth and strength gains... All good if your goal is general fitness, but not optimal for building muscle.

syntax

Executive Member
Hahaha I love food dude. I’m not very tall - ~1.74m

I used to weigh 87kg, and hated it. So I worked hard to lose it all and started focusing on getting slimmer and leaner, and now I’m focusing on muscle gain

I was the opposite, Im not much taller (176) and after divorce I dropped from 90 to 72. Im now at 85Kg around 15% bf. Goal is to sit around the 82Kg mark and drop to 12%.
At this point its completely diet based to get there so calorie reduction is on the cards

DuckKnuckle

Expert Member
I was the opposite, Im not much taller (176) and after divorce I dropped from 90 to 72. Im now at 85Kg around 15% bf. Goal is to sit around the 82Kg mark and drop to 12%.
At this point its completely diet based to get there so calorie reduction is on the cards

Good luck dude. Weight loss starts in the kitchen, and consistency is key. I did intermittent fasting which worked a lot for me, but I eased into it and it became a breeze.

I actually don’t have any goals after hitting my weight loss target. Now I just gym as it’s therapeutic, but seeing muscle gains and being able to lift heavier things is always great

marbro

Been going for around a month now,
Used to train alot but sadly my bed got comfy and i lost out on 10years worth of gym time.

Feels like im hitting a wall at the moment, Getting out of bed is difficult. but im finding that i have no strength when i am at the gym.

Any advice?

Meister-Man

Expert Member
Solid stats

Meister-Man

Expert Member
Used to train alot but sadly my bed got comfy and i lost out on 10years worth of gym time.

Feels like im hitting a wall at the moment, Getting out of bed is difficult. but im finding that i have no strength when i am at the gym.

Any advice?

Keep going bro, first month is the hardest and you've already done that.
A positive is that as a beginner you can make quick progress, so take advantage of that.

syntax

Executive Member
Good luck dude. Weight loss starts in the kitchen, and consistency is key. I did intermittent fasting which worked a lot for me, but I eased into it and it became a breeze.

I actually don’t have any goals after hitting my weight loss target. Now I just gym as it’s therapeutic, but seeing muscle gains and being able to lift heavier things is always great

yeah my issue when i dropped the divorce weight is it was too fast, i lost fat but also muscle.
I need to drop slowly and realistically to trim the fat only.
Ive moved to TRT and will add an AAS cycle at some point again

InvisibleJim

Expert Member

Any advice?

Don't try to do too much too soon. 2 strength sessions a week is enough and try to be more active other days - get your steps in maybe.

There's an old saying to 'put strength in the bank' - start with low intensities/ highish reps to build your muscular endurance and progress slowly to harder, higher intensities to increase strength. Make sure you have a less intense recovery week every 4 weeks or so. We all start at a different place - there's no shame to taking some time (think six months) building a base of strength and it is safer than progressing too quickly to harder exercises. Including some cardio is also a good idea, even if strength is your primary goal

Weight machines are generally safer when starting out (or restarting) than free weights and don't overlook basic bodyweight exercises. Joining a good group class could also be a good start versus hitting the weights room could be beneficial - the coach should keep an eye on your form and being part of a community or group can help with motivation and keep your workouts fresh.

Also make sure your diet supports your goals (you don't say if weight loss is a factor in your case.)

All of this is obviously general guidance provided as is. The usual caveats about apply that you should seek appropriate medical and professional advise before beginning any exercise program. :)

Sensorei

Executive Member
yeah my issue when i dropped the divorce weight is it was too fast, i lost fat but also muscle.
I need to drop slowly and realistically to trim the fat only.
Ive moved to TRT and will add an AAS cycle at some point again
The problem with eating less to lose weight and general cutting calories is that people cut down too much on protein as well which is essential for maintaining your muscle. If you don't eat enough protein your metabolism slows down and your body breaks down your muscle for a supply of amino acids.

You should only cut down your fat and carbs intake when 'dieting', and leave protein intake the same or even increase it depending on your stats.

Your divorce stress probably played a significant role in muscle loss. Cortisol the 'stress hormone' eats through muscle.

RogueAssassin

Hi all.

I’m think I’m the most amateur in this group just by reading the posts.

Some may know me from the weight loss group. Right now my focus is to lose around 75KG. It’s a long mountain to climb I’m aware.

I do a keto eating plan coupled with intermittent fasting.

Currently I do a moderate walk (by my standards 3 - 4 times a week on a the treadmill).

Any advice would be welcomed to what exercises I should be doing?

I’ve bought an exercise ball and some weights 1KG, 2KG and 5KG.

Aharon

Honorary Master
Hi all.

Some may know me from the weight loss group. Right now my focus is to lose around 75KG. It’s a long mountain to climb I’m aware.

Currently I do a moderate walk (by my standards 3 - 4 times a week on a the treadmill).

Hey dude :)

I like what you've done and it is precisely how I lost my wait. Intermittent fasting (sort of) - I eat breakfast and supper daily and weekends are 3 meals. And the walking which of course you need to build up over time and as your body allows, as you get fitter.

In terms of exercise, honestly and I will probably get killed in this thread, I only do cardio, no weights. It works.

Change around the treadmill, have a phase of walker faster but flat, then slower on an incline etc.

Most importantly - drink water, lots of it and nothing else, if you can ;-)

All the best

EDIT: Do you have a fitness/running watch to track your fitness progress. It is my best motivation.

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
Hi all.

Welcome to thread. Don't worry about 'amateur' status - everybody starts from a different place. We know from the weight loss thread that you've lost weight very successfully in the past and it's great that you're ready to add exercise into the mix. I'm sure it will help you surpass your previous achievement.

I'm surmising from the other thread that your BMI is currently somewhat above 30 at the moment. In this respect, it is important that you get checked out by your Doctor (if you haven't already done so.) Your current weight in itself is considered a risk factor and often is accompanied with other conditions such as diabetes or hypertension which need special consideration. Sorry to be a bit boring on this but it's important in terms of exercising safely.

If it is an option for you to consult a Biokineticist, they would be qualified to advise you on exercises, train you or design a safe exercise program for you. Maybe you have medical aid that could help with this?

If you search on the internet, the recommendations you will tend to find include walking, stationary cycle (particularly the recumbant cycles which are good if you don't have much core strength yet) and Swimming/aqua aerobics. Some form of strength or weight training seems to be beneficial but I couldn't suggest what form would be safe for you.

You are on the right track with the walking and not jumping in to some form of hard core exercise (no Crossfit just yet maybe :). As you lose weight and improve your fitness, you will be able to progress in terms of your workouts.

Good luck with your continued journey. Please come back and keep us posted with your progress and your workouts.

syntax

Executive Member
The problem with eating less to lose weight and general cutting calories is that people cut down too much on protein as well which is essential for maintaining your muscle. If you don't eat enough protein your metabolism slows down and your body breaks down your muscle for a supply of amino acids.

You should only cut down your fat and carbs intake when 'dieting', and leave protein intake the same or even increase it depending on your stats.

Your divorce stress probably played a significant role in muscle loss. Cortisol the 'stress hormone' eats through muscle.
Absolutely.
I went a little nuts and became almost obsessive. I pretty much cut everything except vegetables, chicken and fruit.
At the moment I am on a minor caloric deficit and am happy to slowly creep down until I get where I need to be.
Dropping around 500 and 800g a month in weight which is pretty cautious but I hate training on a heavy reduced calorie intake and dont actually believe in the extreme bulking and cutting that seems prevalent nowdays

marbro

Don't try to do too much too soon. 2 strength sessions a week is enough and try to be more active other days - get your steps in maybe.

There's an old saying to 'put strength in the bank' - start with low intensities/ highish reps to build your muscular endurance and progress slowly to harder, higher intensities to increase strength. Make sure you have a less intense recovery week every 4 weeks or so. We all start at a different place - there's no shame to taking some time (think six months) building a base of strength and it is safer than progressing too quickly to harder exercises. Including some cardio is also a good idea, even if strength is your primary goal

Weight machines are generally safer when starting out (or restarting) than free weights and don't overlook basic bodyweight exercises. Joining a good group class could also be a good start versus hitting the weights room could be beneficial - the coach should keep an eye on your form and being part of a community or group can help with motivation and keep your workouts fresh.

Also make sure your diet supports your goals (you don't say if weight loss is a factor in your case.)

All of this is obviously general guidance provided as is. The usual caveats about apply that you should seek appropriate medical and professional advise before beginning any exercise program. :)
Thanks
Currently im on a 3 day program,
Day 1 is push excersizes
Day 2 is pull
Day 3 is legs.

I add a rest day in randomly, when its cold outside, wife doesnt kick me out etc.

Currently im on a 200kg's, and with a 6ft 4 frame, walking isnt the best. My knees and ankles take a beating. So thats why im in the weight room rather.

I did start off by pushing as heavy as I could, but this week im doing pretty much all the same weights as last week.
Diet hasnt changed much, Although im not craving sweets as much as i used to

ajules

Expert Member
Today’s workout.Leg day so heart rate is higher than on my other exercise days!!
224cda0942259267314ea4d1636181ec.jpg

ajules

Expert Member
Great to see so many participants in this thread and looking forward to reading about your story/journey/goals.