The Workout and Fitness Thread

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
1611988952853.png

Short run after work yesterday. Friday is usually my weekly recovery day but I had to skip training on Thursday so I overcame the Friday urge to just go straight home.

Trying to motivate myself to put together something creative for today's workout. I've been skimping a bit on my resistance training lately so I'm thinking a Metcon type workout with kettlebell and some compound bodyweight exercises.

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
1611998840062.png

So that worked out OK.

Warm up: Jump Rope for 8 minutes then 2 minutes rest
Main Workout: 3 Sets with 2 exercises per set. 30 seconds Work, 15 seconds rest for 6 minutes. 2 Minutes rest between sets.

Set 1: Kettlebell Swings and Burpees (got the burpees out of the way early!)
Set 2: Goblet Squats and Pushups
Set 3: One arm KB Rows and Lateral Lunge with Adduction

Threw in 3 sets of planks at the end for good measure.

Sensorei

Executive Member
That's a lot of work done in 35 minutes.
That's more like a cardio session, hence the 145 bpm heart rate. Just my rest between sets for that workout would be 35 minutes! But hey we are all different.

3 minutes rest between squat sets or any heavy compound exercises after warm up sets. That got me to over double body weight squat and almost double body weight benchpress in a few years, after first wasting a couple of years not knowing what I was doing.

Isolation exercises with ±12-16 rep range for smaller muscle groups like delts, biceps, calves worked best for me with about 1.5 minutes rest after going to failure. I usually end off a big drop set for arms and delts.

Meister-Man

Expert Member
That's more like a cardio session, hence the 145 bpm heart rate. Just my rest between sets for that workout would be 35 minutes! But hey we are all different.

3 minutes rest between squat sets or any heavy compound exercises after warm up sets.

Same, 3-4 mins rest for heavy compounds works well for me.

wise_guy

Expert Member

APoc184

Honorary Master
First workout after the operation.

Didn't go full 100% effort but did not screw around either.

2min walking warmup.

15s sprint
1min walking recovery
Repeat 12 times

3min cool down jog.

Screenshot_2021-01-31-16-43-51-958_com.garmin.android.apps.connectmobile.jpg

Going to jump back into the gym tomorrow afternoon... The bench press is calling my name.

ajules

Expert Member
Today’s workout was chest and shoulders so focus was on progressive overload rather than intensity.
ed5a2b2a1a833b205f02a887e0ccadf1.jpg

6spdmanual

Expert Member
Wanna have fun and burn a lot of calories while also taking it easy? Try trampolines! Went to Bounce in Midrand today, haven’t been in so so long. You’ll definitely get the heart going.

8434B43C-3501-4E2D-B8D1-21B09C5DE3E8.png

RogueAssassin

Welcome to thread. Don't worry about 'amateur' status - everybody starts from a different place. We know from the weight loss thread that you've lost weight very successfully in the past and it's great that you're ready to add exercise into the mix. I'm sure it will help you surpass your previous achievement.

I'm surmising from the other thread that your BMI is currently somewhat above 30 at the moment. In this respect, it is important that you get checked out by your Doctor (if you haven't already done so.) Your current weight in itself is considered a risk factor and often is accompanied with other conditions such as diabetes or hypertension which need special consideration. Sorry to be a bit boring on this but it's important in terms of exercising safely.

If it is an option for you to consult a Biokineticist, they would be qualified to advise you on exercises, train you or design a safe exercise program for you. Maybe you have medical aid that could help with this?

If you search on the internet, the recommendations you will tend to find include walking, stationary cycle (particularly the recumbant cycles which are good if you don't have much core strength yet) and Swimming/aqua aerobics. Some form of strength or weight training seems to be beneficial but I couldn't suggest what form would be safe for you.

You are on the right track with the walking and not jumping in to some form of hard core exercise (no Crossfit just yet maybe :). As you lose weight and improve your fitness, you will be able to progress in terms of your workouts.

Good luck with your continued journey. Please come back and keep us posted with your progress and your workouts.

Thank for the feedback and motivation.

Fortunately I do not have diabetes or cholesterol as a result of of my obesity. I get this checked quite regularly. Part of the reason I want to make a change is because I want to avoid these complications as I get older.

I like the recommendation to consult a biokineticist.

At the moment I’m not pushing myself too hard. Focussing on the healthy eating and routine in respect of that.

From an exercise perspective, I’m doing a moderate walk, sweat 1000 and whipped out the old Xbox 360 with Kinect and playing some fitness games. A fun alternative to just treadmill exercises

RogueAssassin

Hey dude :)

I like what you've done and it is precisely how I lost my wait. Intermittent fasting (sort of) - I eat breakfast and supper daily and weekends are 3 meals. And the walking which of course you need to build up over time and as your body allows, as you get fitter.

In terms of exercise, honestly and I will probably get killed in this thread, I only do cardio, no weights. It works.

Change around the treadmill, have a phase of walker faster but flat, then slower on an incline etc.

Most importantly - drink water, lots of it and nothing else, if you can ;-)

All the best

EDIT: Do you have a fitness/running watch to track your fitness progress. It is my best motivation.

Thanks a lot for the advice. Really appreciate it.

Yes I do have a fitness device. It also helps me with meeting my weekly goals with discovery. An activated booster also provides a financial booster for meeting my goals

duckgray

Yeah I’ve enabled athlete mode and had my sister’s boyfriend review me and my stats and he’s stated they’re actually quite accurate, so that’s good to know. He did say I need to up my BMR, and that the body fat % could be 1 - 2% lower on the app, but that also varies per person.

If anyone is interested, it’s the Bneta smart scale on takealot. R799

Stats screen below:

17d12cb71d58296034702133dbb2c52d.jpg
are these stats from the xiaomi scale?