The Workout and Fitness Thread

Meister-Man

Expert Member
5"30 is not a slow pace by any means. Thats impressive and more so if you have only been running a while.
Im simply too heavy to run at pace now but back when I was much lighter it took me a while to get my times down.

I don't think running is meant for us heavier guys.
I do a weekly 4-5km run/walk 'shuffle' with my dog at about 7"30 per km.

syntax

Executive Member
I don't think running is meant for us heavier guys.
I do a weekly 4-5km run/walk 'shuffle' with my dog at about 7"30 per km.

hahahaha, i know exactly the shuffle you mean. Call it the old man shuffle where I try do as little impact as possible and just plod along.
Its good enough for cardio and my body does not hate me.

R13...

Honorary Master
So, do you guys use resistance bands? How effective do you find them? I go to a private gym and they make use of them extensively but with normal gym weights, balls, machines, etc. I am thinking to get 2/3 bands and use them on my off days as I can't afford more than 3 times a week, too expensive.

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
Resistance bands are very versatile tools and the various types can be used in quite creative ways. In theory, as far as your body is concerned, resistance is resistance so it doesn't care if it comes from bodyweight, free weights or bands but each of these does have it it's own characteristics.

I have spoken to a couple of lifters who tried bands at home during lock down and who didn't like them as opposed to weights but that might be more a preference/expectation thing to a certain extent. If you are used to working with bands already, then this may not be an issue for you.

syntax

Executive Member
So, do you guys use resistance bands? How effective do you find them? I go to a private gym and they make use of them extensively but with normal gym weights, balls, machines, etc. I am thinking to get 2/3 bands and use them on my off days as I can't afford more than 3 times a week, too expensive.

Why do you use a private gym out of interest?

Resistance bands are ok and you can get quite creative. We run/ran a hiit studio and have tons of them which can be effective.
I have tried using bands on other exercises like the bench press to make parts of the movement harder, but to be honest I dont think I need to be at that level where I am doing those kinds of things.

I like a lot of free weights for some muscle groups but on others I prefer cable machines. (I love cable cross overs for example or cables for triceps.)

Whilst bands probably work and help I dont feel they are as effective or as the traditional weights and machines. Just an opinion and could very easily not be right

syntax

Executive Member
What is heavier ?

I'm 92kg and 1.8m and manage a half decent run each now and then..

Im now 94Kg at 1,76 and I can feel the extra weight on my body. When I was doing squash and combat sports I could drop down to 70 or just below. My happy weight is around 78 - 82, so 94 is hard on my body, especially as I am getting closer to 40.

I can still put a bit of pace on shorter runs and as a once off, for example I can do 5Km in under 23 minutes and not want to completely die. But I will be sore and I certainly cannot do that for 10km or more. Doing that more than once a week would almost certainly bring stress fractures, knee and back pain and other issues.

R13...

Honorary Master
Why do you use a private gym out of interest?
Because the guy who runs the studio gives personal attention with a lot of emphasis on movement in everything you do. I have done the big box gym thing without much result in strength because I didn't really have a plan. This gives me that plan. I'm with the studio until I'm confident enough to go out on my own.

syntax

Executive Member
Because the guy who runs the studio gives personal attention with a lot of emphasis on movement in everything you do. I have done the big box gym thing without much result in strength because I didn't really have a plan. This gives me that plan. I'm with the studio until I'm confident enough to go out on my own.

Makes total sense and is a solid way to approach things, are you seeing better results?

R13...

Honorary Master
Makes total sense and is a solid way to approach things, are you seeing better results?
Yeah couldn't do free weights before I started here but now just need to fix the diet to see more toning.

6spdmanual

Expert Member
I’m sitting here craving 12 Chicken Licken wings badly. Can’t wait for my “cheat day”. Do you also have a day set aside where you just indulge?

6spdmanual

Expert Member
I’m looking at next weekend on the calendar. Lol there will be lots and lots and LOTS of meat eaten that weekend (along with stacks of liquor).

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
1631811569024.png
Little bit of a slog this evening.

I did my stretching last night. Dozed off a bit during 'Noodle Arms' and woke up just before the end of 'Wide Dog' on the video. Decided not to rewind and go to bed!

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
I’m sitting here craving 12 Chicken Licken wings badly. Can’t wait for my “cheat day”. Do you also have a day set aside where you just indulge?
I've always preferred to try and save my cheat/treat for those times when I don't have any other option rather than having a set day.

syntax

Executive Member

Not really. If i want to drop below 12% then I have to do things like that.
At the moment I eat a fair amount with unhealthy stuff in moderation and it is a happy balance for me.

I have been toying with the idea of doing one last run at a 10% BF or near there but the effort is really high

jayjay1993

I try just to confine things to "cheat meals," or as my dietician call them: treats. So my diet is based on an exchange system of the different food groups. So for instance a serving of rice will contain 2 starch exchanges, and a teaspoon oil is 1 fat exchange. So if I forecast a restaurant meal or something where there will be extra fat or carbs, I'll deduct the exchanges from the other meals of the day. If I'm going to booze I just cut down on the fat or starch in the other meals. Lol, I'm still a bit rigid in my eating habits. I've had binges before and it wasn't nice so I just try to stay consistent with the occasional treat every now and then