The world’s largest Virtual Power Plant

konfab

Honorary Master
:mad:And the retards in this country want to go Nuclear.

Nuclear power is easier to manage than a decentralized grid. There are a lot of engineering problems that have not been solved yet with large scale solar grids (for example, who controls which power banks are turned on? This is needed if you need to do line maintenance.). And that is before you even get to the difficulties of managing and charging for reactive power.

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
I don't support nuclear - too many issues with nuclear waste and disposing of the same.

Fukushima and Chernobyl should be a lesson to us all.

Urist

Expert Member
Was wondering, why don`t the gov`t build cheaper RDP houses, and then put some solar panels on each, let the family sell what they don`t use back to the municipality at the rate the municipality pays eskom? Might solve a few problems.. .create a few as well, but I think the good will outweigh the bad.

WireFree

Nuclear power is easier to manage than a decentralized grid. There are a lot of engineering problems that have not been solved yet with large scale solar grids (for example, who controls which power banks are turned on? This is needed if you need to do line maintenance.). And that is before you even get to the difficulties of managing and charging for reactive power.

Yes. The 50,000 homes in Australia is the first step in understanding the engineering problems and the finding the solutions.

R&D to address those problems will originate in Australia, and Australia will benefit in the long term by exporting their solutions.

konfab

Honorary Master
I don't support nuclear - too many issues with nuclear waste and disposing of the same.
The current battery technologies are not really suitable for the whole grid. Especially industrial and commercial usage. I honestly think that a combination between Hydrogen and Battery tech is what is going to be able to crack the problem.

Was wondering, why don`t the gov`t build cheaper RDP houses, and then put some solar panels on each, let the family sell what they don`t use back to the municipality at the rate the municipality pays eskom?
1) Solar panels will get stolen.
2) You need management systems and batteries that have to be connected to the internet/or some other network
3) There are cheaper ways of getting energy to poor people.

konfab

Honorary Master
Yes. The 50,000 homes in Australia is the first step in understanding the engineering problems and the finding the solutions.

R&D to address those problems will originate in Australia, and Australia will benefit in the long term by exporting their solutions.

Germany as well.

Skerminkel

Expert Member

Surely there are major implications for the reticulation grid as well? I wonder if they priced that into the "30% saving."

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
Watched the Documentary "Pandora's Promise" this past weekend and am now even more in favour of nuclear....

Urist

Expert Member
2) You need management systems and batteries that have to be connected to the internet/or some other network

Surely the owners and community will protect that property like any other property, some will get stolen, and bought again in the black market, going into the grid at the end of the day anyway.
Thinking fewer larger batteries, like sub-stations, and economies of scale.
I know there are cheaper ways to give energy to the poor, i`m rather thinking of having them be energy producers while encouraging them to use it economically themselves, the more they save the more they get, instead of the money going to Eskom bonusses, Gupta companies, Zuma, and Putin.

isie

Honorary Master
The current battery technologies are not really suitable for the whole grid. Especially industrial and commercial usage. I honestly think that a combination between Hydrogen and Battery tech is what is going to be able to crack the problem.

They don't necessarily need to store the energy, add panels to RDP houses use the electricity they need from the panels and feed any excess back into the grid (which the municipality can sell to other users on the grid) at night, low light or when solar for that home is just not enough they use electricity created by regular means (or excess from other users) as for meters most (if not all) of the meters they have been installing have the functionality they could either credit the home with a full or less value (or no value at all) and make money for the excess sold as well as during the night.

the home owners have to look after their panels as they get 'free' electricity in the day

WireFree

Germany as well.

Centralised Russian/French Nuclear Power or Decentralised German/Australian Solar Power.

Which one do you support?

WireFree

Solutions don't need to be national. Localised solutions that only target certain residential communities may also work.

With rising electricity costs, some industrial/commercial customers are already using generators and other technologies to address their peak load demands, resulting in their demand on the grid appearing constant.

1) Hopefully the thieves will use the solar panels on their own houses and then they don't need to steal electricity from Eskom.
2) GPRS speeds are sufficient, and Vodacom/MTN have national GSM/GPRS coverage. If a large geographic area does not have any cellular coverage, the population density is too small.
3) Start with the more affluent suburbs, as their residential power consumption is probably higher. Economies of scale will bring prices down in the long term and eventually more and more people will use solar power. https://samsetproject.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/fall-in-solar-prices-chart-1.png

konfab

Honorary Master
Centralised Russian/French Nuclear Power or Decentralised German/Australian Solar Power.

Which one do you support?

Support for what? South Africa?

I would say French Nuclear hands down as it is a mature technology ecosytem and we know what we would be getting ourselves into. Germany or Australia do not have the resource constraints that we do.

konfab

Honorary Master
With rising electricity costs, some industrial/commercial customers are already using generators and other technologies to address their peak load demands, resulting in their demand on the grid appearing constant.

I bet commercial/industrial customers in France or Russia don't have generators to supplement their peak load demands. The only reason why those companies have generators in the first place is because of the incompetence of Eskom.