The worst ever tech predictions in South Africa

MickeyD

RIP
Uncapped in SA is unsustainable, says Altech

Broadband, whether fixed or mobile, should be billed on a per-usage basis or via reasonably priced bundles, but under no circumstances should be uncapped, says Altech Technology Concepts CEO Wayne de Nobrega.

“The idea of uncapped is great, but when the service is offered, it is chased by abusers,” says De Nobrega. “People don’t look at it as allowing them to behave as they normally would without fear of running out of data. They want to see how much they can get.”
http://www.techcentral.co.za/uncapped-in-sa-is-unsustainable-says-altech/26219/

MickeyD

RIP
No uncapped ADSL from Telkom
Dr Brian Armstrong - 7 April 2011

Telkom has no immediate plans to launch uncapped broadband products based on its asymmetric digital subscriber line (ADSL) copper network, despite growing competition in this space from rivals like MWeb.

That’s the word from Brian Armstrong, Telkom’s senior managing executive for enterprise markets. Armstrong says fewer than 3% of Telkom’s customers on Telkom Internet’s 9GB ADSL package use up their caps. “This suggests [uncapped broadband] is a niche product. The bulk of our subscribers would end up subsidising a niche product.”
http://www.techcentral.co.za/no-uncapped-adsl-from-telkom/22398/

falcon786

Executive Member
Former Cell C CEO Jeffrey Hedberg said in early 2008 that “3G is hype and we won’t fall prey to hype,” arguing that there is no business case for 3G.

Mobile broadband is extremely important for any mobile operator, and Hedberg’s decision definitely had a negative impact on Cell C’s ability to compete against Vodacom and MTN. Less than two years after Hedberg’s comments, Cell C invested billions into a 3G network to stay competitive.
This MONKEY is the reason I left Cell C for MTN,at that point in my life I was almost a brand abassodor for Cell C and I still moved because I realised Cell C was never going to get 3g!

They should sue this dude for royally f-ing up Cell C's growth prospects,what a dud!

I'm now on MTN contract for over 8 years and have literally given them thousands EVERY MONTH.Add that up together with all the other customers they lost and new ones they didn't gain and its tons of cash that was theirs but was just thrown away because of a non innovative twit.

Last edited:

Saajid

Expert Member
Great article RPM. I've really been enjoying reading MyBB this last month. There is some great journalism taking place, and a no-nonsense attitude to stating the facts no matter who feels uncomfortable or hurt by it. My only gripe is all the airtime that Captain Obvious (AKC) was given on MyBB 2 weeks ago for spewing pointless crap almost everyday for a whole week.

In any case, keep it up!

Joker

Expert Member
Former Internet Solutions executive Justin Spratt wrote in April 2010 that “there are technical reasons why ‘uncapped’ isn’t what most think it is. Overseas experience tells us that uncapped products are not the future … The better solution is higher capped products that provide excellent user experiences.”
Not entirely incorrect - after two years of uncapped I'm moving back to a capped product. Together with shaping, rolling windows and thresholds uncapped causes endless headaches.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
The one I will always remember with fondness was the saying that "Consumers should not expect the Arrival of Seacom to result in lower Broadband prices"! :D

Avenue

Expert Member
On 22 May 2001 the late Ivy Matsepe-Casaburri said that the licensing of the second national operator (SNO) to compete with Telkom will be finalised in the first half of 2002.

The SNO (now known as Neotel) was eventually licensed on 9 December 2005, nearly four years behind schedule.
... and are still not competing with telkom

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Not entirely incorrect - after two years of uncapped I'm moving back to a capped product. Together with shaping, rolling windows and thresholds uncapped causes endless headaches.
I have none of these issues with Openweb Gold.

Joker

Expert Member
I have none of these issues with Openweb Gold.
I was with Openweb Gold for several months, and had to change providers about 9 times. One great for gaming, one great for downloading, one great for browsing..

I'm not saying uncapped doesn't have its place in the market - but it still doesn't compete with capped offerings in terms of overall quality. If it does get there great - sign me up.

The Trutherizer

Expert Member
The fact that Siphiwe Nyanda's 'prediction' was taken serious at all is a bit of a joke. Every government affiliated organisation will deny everything until they are ready to come out with the news themselves - No matter how much later. That just the way it is. You can practically bet on 90% of points the gov denies being fact. It's called PR.

thisgeek

Expert Member
I'm surprised that nobody has yet brought up Web Africa's "uncapped is unsustainable" ploy from a while back.

Bern

Expert Member
All this stuff on capped vs uncapped. When someone decides to offer 100GB for R199 then we can talk about capped being a proper competitive option for residential ADSL, until then uncapped is by far the best option (excluding businesses/professionals who need high throughput for specific protocols only). Hell 50GB for R199 would be be in the ballpark as well.

Lydon

Expert Member
Then you're on bad uncapped and - to be frank - it's your own fault :/

SlightlyPeeved

I have the nightrider package from Cybersmart, and although I am capped (during normal hours) at 15gig/month, the fact that the line is totally, and completely unshaped is brilliant. I agree that uncapped would be great, but I cannot deny that there are definite advantages to unshaped. It all depends I guess on what your specific needs are.

Jan

Drifting in the black

rrh

Expert Member
Rather than being specific: just about any pronouncement from one of the 'professional' forecasters (e.g. Forrester) is bound to fail ... and people still listen ??

Valis

Expert Member
“we will never make a 32-bit operating system.”
Now if he had said; “we will never make a 32-bit operating system that actually works.” he would've been spot on :D