The ZAR Exchange Rate Thread

Highflyer_GP

Honorary Master
However, if you invested in gold a few years back when it was around $400 per ounce, expect to make a killing now because it's set to skyrocket.

Robin Hood

Expert Member
To all the ppl out there...If youre thinking of buying something??? Better do it quick while you still can afford it :(

Abe

Expert Member
This whole situation is a lot more serious then the rand/dollar rate. The SA trade deficit grew to R14.73-billion in October. Although it pegged back in November, I would hate to think of what it will be in January. Our biggest export would be Gold and Platinum. Take that away and you can imagine the result. The markets did not like the October figure and will absolutely freak out with the January figure.

Moederloos

Honorary Master
It all depends on what comes of Uncle Thabo's mouth next time he opens it. Seriously.
You mean, the level of spew will have an affect? Just how negative a one, we will have to wait and see?

This whole situation is a lot more serious then the rand/dollar rate. The SA trade deficit grew to R14.73-billion in October. Although it pegged back in November, I would hate to think of what it will be in January. Our biggest export would be Gold and Platinum. Take that away and you can imagine the result. The markets did not like the October figure and will absolutely freak out with the January figure.
Thanks - one more thing I had not considered. I really need to stop reading this section - I am completely out of Happy Pills now.

Abe

Expert Member
Thanks - one more thing I had not considered. I really need to stop reading this section - I am completely out of Happy Pills now.
No need for pills, just put on a gov minister and you have to laugh at the incompetence :)

Slooth

Expert Member
"Hey Temba, you got any gold shares?"
"No, why you ask?"
"Well my buddies at Eskom have just brought a bunch of then, they're going to ask the mining companies to close"
"Eish, and what's gold got to do with them closing"
"Don't be stoopid, the shares will climb quickly and then we can sell them for mega moolah"
"What if they don't shut down"
"They already had a meeting with them, they have shares too, the other meeting is just for the public"

DragonLogos

Expert Member
Try making a PC without Gold - SA is one of the few countries that could tie its currency to Gold, but these days who wants it

Their are much better investments out their.
rem. aluminum was once more expensive than Goldmines power cuts, and irrational euphoria by the gold klan.

oneday people will realize that gold is only another metal, and millions of tones of it are already stored away for no good use

the world population is also not growing as fast as it use to, and emerging economies 'BRIC' are starting to slow
gold price is also pushed up by eskoms go
opec is also holding back a whole lot, they could push the oil price alot lower if they wish, I don't think they could or would remove more crude.

I may be wrong, but i'll rather invest in something that is more ground breaking, and will always be a better need to humans, and thus may always be profitable.

Warren Buffet

try looking to batteries manufacturers with many well skilled scientists, we will need them alot, in new technologies, and to add to alt. energy vechils.
also try looking to wind& wave. only problem is that these industries are pretty diverse

& also, world stock markets are still looking dangerous, but are already pretty cheaply priced compared to the last decades, and even underperformed, the interest rate PE ratio I think that their is much cash waiting for things to sort them selves out, before they all dive back into the exchanges again.
regardless of how useless gold is it is still useful to make money on :)

kiepie

Executive Member
To all the ppl out there...If youre thinking of buying something??? Better do it quick while you still can afford it :(
The Rand/$ weakness this weak, from R6.75 to R7.15 is all the foreign investors dumping their stock on had in our market after the market "crash" we had the past week. Not that there are other factors also contributing, but the stock mayhem may be the biggest one.

It's going to be shocking, even further down the line, with the Rand that strengthen over the festive season (more imports), Oil on record levels, and now the Gold and Platinum export seized until further notice... :(

"Hey Temba, you got any gold shares?"
"No, why you ask?"
"Well my buddies at Eskom have just brought a bunch of then, they're going to ask the mining companies to close"
"Eish, and what's gold got to do with them closing"
"Don't be stoopid, the shares will climb quickly and then we can sell them for mega moolah"
"What if they don't shut down"
"They already had a meeting with them, they have shares too, the other meeting is just for the public"
Funny enough Gold Shares shed nearly 10% on the reports of mining suspended. :(

Smaller mines that is not effected shares gained alot. :)

Moederloos

Honorary Master
The Rand/$ weakness this weak, from R6.75 to R7.15 is all the foreign investors dumping their stock on had in our market after the market "crash" we had the past week. Not that there are other factors also contributing, but the stock mayhem may be the biggest one.
I agree - however, we now have little incentive to get that investment back. Normalising of the markets, for the most part, requires that the market to be normalised is operating "business as usual".

I do not see us bouncing back any time soon.

Then again, I am not an economist.

CathJ

Expert Member
Yup. I made a determined effort to stay away from all news sources over the weekend - just couldn't take any more bad news. I think I might have to avoid all the Eskom threads from now on, it's just too depressing.

Except that it's not just Eskom - it's rates, and traffic (which will be chaos in Cape Town for the next 2 years, since they're upgrading Hospital Bend), and corruption, and I just can't take it any more!

Robin Hood

Expert Member
Yup. I made a determined effort to stay away from all news sources over the weekend - just couldn't take any more bad news. I think I might have to avoid all the Eskom threads from now on, it's just too depressing.

Except that it's not just Eskom - it's rates, and traffic (which will be chaos in Cape Town for the next 2 years, since they're upgrading Hospital Bend), and corruption, and I just can't take it any more!
Ja well, what can you do? :sick: