The ZAR Exchange Rate Thread

Oldfut

Ps. Don’t mistake short term optimism.. longer term changes need to happen and SA hasn’t done any of it for a long time while politics is our favorite sport. Unless that changes back to being boring and predictable(for the better) it’s still longer term bad. Ie when Cyril has to go.. or maybe he will play 2nd fiddle to bring stability for a 3rd term?
Good points. Practically as I see it there are a few issues; overall "government" debt (SOE's, government and municipalities is at very high levels and increasing. Ditto for unemployment and without any solutions in sight. The green shoots of agriculture could disappear with weather and EWC. Mining is ho hum, particularly without reliable power. Tourism (and many service industries) is in trouble with covid and no vaccine, let alone stifling ANC policies. So per capita GDP continues to decline; we are getting poorer.

Quite a bit of Cyril talk, talk; little action, no changes. Not a good prognosis for SA and the ZAR.

krycor

Honorary Master
Good points. Practically as I see it there are a few issues; overall "government" debt (SOE's, government and municipalities is at very high levels and increasing. Ditto for unemployment and without any solutions in sight. The green shoots of agriculture could disappear with weather and EWC. Mining is ho hum, particularly without reliable power. Tourism (and many service industries) is in trouble with covid and no vaccine, let alone stifling ANC policies. So per capita GDP continues to decline; we are getting poorer.

Quite a bit of Cyril talk, talk; little action, no changes. Not a good prognosis for SA and the ZAR.

I’d disagree with the last bit. In a micromanagement fashion yes you right.. but that’s not the point of having a cabinet.

Gonna be interesting to see if he shakes up the Sabine’s soon for performance.. but yah, people often forget the role of CEO and President is the same.. PR and longer strategy while being an enabler. On the latter part he has done a lot.. but he also needs to follow through if people in positions do not perform and current cabinet is the ones he can hold to account directly.

I see the US is now pushing the notion of global minimum CIT.

LMFAO! Typical US style eh? I think they well aware global orgs are gonna shift funds .. wait till PIT is at direct risk and they demand global minimum PIT.. you know it’s bad when the US wants these things.

saturnz

Honorary Master
the dollar will continue to weaken as long as the FED is not going to budge on giving indications on raising interest rates in reaction to the effects of inflation popping up everywhere

krycor

Honorary Master
Don’t see it weakening.. Brazil is a covid mess, Turkey has monetary/political issues.

My guess is it all hinges on our vaccine rollout and controlling the pandemic along with the court cases convicting the corrupt.

SA needs a economic plan to quell the majority though or we head into unrest as the RET okes drum up support.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Don’t see it weakening.. Brazil is a covid mess, Turkey has monetary/political issues.

My guess is it all hinges on our vaccine rollout and controlling the pandemic along with the court cases convicting the corrupt.

SA needs a economic plan to quell the majority though or we head into unrest as the RET okes drum up support.
Yeah the court cases handling the corrupt.
JZ is still out and is campaigning for the party

air

Expert Member
14.05 on news24.co.za - shitty rate I got from fnb, Monday is another day...

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Jobs report was crap.. suspect the inflation fears are coming fast now.

There is a concern in the US that the $300/week jobless benefit is keeping people from applying for low paying jobs. A 40 hour per week job at $8/hour isn't worth it compared to the jobless payment.