The ZX Spectrum is reborn

quovadis

Expert Member
Had two of the 48k model and a friend had the bigger 128k - can't say I miss the days of using a tape recorder for 40mins to load a game but it was great back then.

Daruk

Honorary Master
As anyone who ever owned a ZX Spectrum will testify, loading from tape could sometimes be a frustrating affair, what with misaligned heads, dropouts and all manner of other things causing the dreaded ‘R Tape loading error, 0:1‘. Loading times...
Someone forgot the rubber keys and tiny keyboard :p
But that white thing is a thing of beauty.
Personally I believe the future of retro-gaming (can I call it that?) is in reproducing the keyboard as a bluetooth device that interfaces with an ordinary PC or Raspberry Pi running an emulator.

About the Speccy Next, it's also a thing of beauty. Would love to own one, just not at the price.

Last edited:

elvis_presley

Expert Member
I've still got 2 working ZX Speccys from the 80's when I was in to them - both work to this very day, I checked them out 2-3 months ago! One's the leet updated version with composite out, too. A while ago I bought an ethernet adapter for them, can load up pretty much any game ever made over from a gigantic internet archive of games. At 48k, they don't take long to download :)

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
I've still got 2 working ZX Speccys from the 80's when I was in to them - both work to this very day, I checked them out 2-3 months ago! One's the leet updated version with composite out, too. A while ago I bought an ethernet adapter for them, can load up pretty much any game ever made over from a gigantic internet archive of games. At 48k, they don't take long to download :)
Got a few myself. :)

Link for that Ethernet adapter?

Dan C

Honorary Master
Had two of the 48k model and a friend had the bigger 128k - can't say I miss the days of using a tape recorder for 40mins to load a game but it was great back then.
Then at the last minute it fails and you have to try again. Wrote my first game on a Spectrum :)

Daruk

Honorary Master
Then at the last minute it fails and you have to try again. Wrote my first game on a Spectrum :)
R: TAPE LOADING ERROR :mad: :p
Off to the UK next week for a week if anyone wants one or two smalls from RWAP.

ponder

Honorary Master
I grew up in that era and I honestly do not like the zx spectrum. We had them in school in 1983 I think, the keyboard was absolute schite (not as bad as the zx 81 but still horrid). The Commodore 64 was a way better computer. I never owned either of them but I would have prefered a C64. That said the Z80 was a better cpu compared to the 6502 (or the modified MOS 6510 used in the C64). 6502 is where I started learning assembly language in primary school, fsck basic :D

PS And then in high school we had apple iie/c and we had to do Logo, geez was that a borefest...

Last edited:

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
I'll get excited when they bring out a retro Apple II+. That's where my first hours of programming developed (apart from the UCT Univac). I got a holiday job on a Commedore 64 and hated it.

ponder

Honorary Master
I'll get excited when they bring out a retro Apple II+. That's where my first hours of programming developed (apart from the UCT Univac). I got a holiday job on a Commedore 64 and hated it.
I had a Apple II+ clone with all the bells and whistles (80 column card, dual floppies, colour display, z80 card running CP/M) and would have gladly traded it for a C64. And no my parents did not have the kinda money to buy this for me, my uncle worked for saa in the day (electronics/radio/avionics) and brought it in from taiwan, he passed away at a young age from cancer and my aunt gave it to me.

SilverCode

The Next costs £175, while a “board-only” version is available for £99.
For that price I hope it is a hardware re-implementation of the spectrum and not just a modern ARM board running an emulator (ala NES Classic). Also, I would live a mechanical switch keyboard but retain the akward size, layout and rubber key caps. To make it more modern, they should retain the audio only loading component (ie. no SD Card), and you have to purchase the games on your phone via an app store and load them via 3.5mm audio jack (err, sorry iPhone users). 20% of phones will consistantly fail to correctly "play" the data back at the right speed and your game wont load after waiting 20 min.

Bloody hell the ZX Spectrum filled with with both anger and joy. Jet Set Willy and Horice And The Spiders were my go to games.

ponder

Honorary Master
To make it more modern, they should retain the audio only loading component (ie. no SD Card), and you have to purchase the games on your phone via an app store and load them via 3.5mm audio jack (err, sorry iPhone users). 20% of phones will consistantly fail to correctly "play" the data back at the right speed and your game wont load after waiting 20 min.
You must be into S&M?

Daruk

Honorary Master
I grew up in that era and I honestly do not like the zx spectrum. We had them in school in 1983 I think, the keyboard was absolute schite (not as bad as the zx 81 but still horrid). The Commodore 64 was a way better computer. I never owned either of them but I would have prefered a C64. That said the Z80 was a better cpu compared to the 6502 (or the modified MOS 6510 used in the C64). 6502 is where I started learning assembly language in primary school, fsck basic :D

PS And then in high school we had apple iie/c and we had to do Logo, geez was that a borefest...
Only reason you wanted a C64 was because you never had one. In SA it was better on paper only IMO. Software was hard to get. It wasn't a bad business machine but the speccy had some awesome after market accessories like the multiface 1 and more than half the computer owners of the time had a Speccy back then.

Last edited:

Petec

Expert Member
Ahhhh, nostalgia...
Who here had an Amiga 500?
Man, we were playing the sweetest games, when the PC was still monochrome / amber screens.
The Amiga was way ahead of its time.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Ahhhh, nostalgia...
Man, we were playing the sweetest games, when the PC was still monochrome / amber screens.
You were one of those guys we all envied lol. That said it was much later than when I started.

Last edited:

ponder

Honorary Master
Ahhhh, nostalgia...
Had a 500 & 1200, best computer ever.