There is more sugar in Parmalat Yoghurt than in Coca-Cola!

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
  • Fructose: found in fruits and honey
  • Galactose: found in milk and dairy products
  • Glucose: found in honey, fruits and vegetables
  • Lactose: found in milk, made from glucose and galactose
  • Maltose: found in barley
  • Sucrose: made up of glucose and fructose and found in plants
  • Xylose: found in wood or straw

The Trutherizer

Expert Member
Sweeter products are for children. Any brand that tries to push sales through sugar will eventually lose it's adult market for the most part.

treeman

My issue is preservatives...most brands available at PnP and Checkers contain preservatives except for Woolworths and only others I can find are Fairview & Camphill which are preservative free. The preservative free still has good shelf life. Only buy plain unsweetened. Sweetened is for kids.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I know you lot claim to not watch anything on the SABC channels, so at the risk of being ridiculed, here is a series that ALL should be watching. It will show you just how pervasive food wastage is in the World and how the attitudes of people like OP contribute to the overall mess the World is in and how much environmental damage every single one of us is responsible for in simple daily actions like throwing away perfectly good food for no good reason as posted by OP.

The program is called "Traffickers" and runs on SABC 3 on Sundays at 19:30 to 20:30

lived666

Executive Member
I know you lot claim to not watch anything on the SABC channels, so at the risk of being ridiculed, here is a series that ALL should be watching. It will show you just how pervasive food wastage is in the World and how the attitudes of people like OP contribute to the overall mess the World is in and how much environmental damage every single one of us is responsible for in simple daily actions like throwing away perfectly good food for no good reason as posted by OP.

The program is called "Traffickers" and runs on SABC 3 on Sundays at 19:30 to 20:30
What attitude snookums? The fact that I didn't want to consume a sugar loaded product and who the **** goes outside to the street and hands out opened partially eaten food product to give away?

Yeah, I made an error by not checking the contents in the shop, but jesus get off your ****ing high horse man.

Verde

Expert Member
Parmalat double cream flavoured strawberryParmalat medium fat strawberryParmalat fat free black cherry
Average values100g100g100g
Energy (kJ)400368210
Protein (g)3.62.12.7
Glycaemic Carbohydrate (g)7158
of which total sugar (g)3.412.23.1
Total Fat (g)6.52.10.1
of which Saturated fat (g)4.61.50.1
Dietary Fibre (g)<1.0<0.1<10
Total Sodium (mg)502638
Calcium (mg)85.571.3102.9

lived666

Executive Member
Parmalat double cream flavoured strawberryParmalat medium fat strawberryParmalat fat free black cherry
Average values100g100g100g
Energy (kJ)400368210
Protein (g)3.62.12.7
Glycaemic Carbohydrate (g)7158
of which total sugar (g)3.412.23.1
Total Fat (g)6.52.10.1
of which Saturated fat (g)4.61.50.1
Dietary Fibre (g)<1.0<0.1<10
Total Sodium (mg)502638
Calcium (mg)85.571.3102.9
What a difference between the double cream and medium fat that is sugar-loaded, thanks for that!

justplain

Expert Member
look for Foxenburg, Kulture or Le Petite France full cream yoghurts if you're in Cape Town.
They come from small farms and are way better in my opinion to the mass produced stuff. They may cost a little bit more, worth it in my opinion.
No added fillers, preservatives etc.
You can find most of them at Spar.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
First the war was on butter ----- bad for you in all sorts of ways.
Then on Fat --- the worst thing ever, but to make us eat the stuff sugar and salt was added until we were all addicted to the stuff.
Now it is all about sugar --- the evilest stuff ever. So bad that it now attracts a sugar tax.

Now all of a sudden to get away from sugar, Double Cream products are all of a sudden okay again?

Instead, it should be all about balance, not anything else.

And then we have Companies like Black Cat that thought they were losing market share to imported Peanut Butter -- the magic is that stuff is absolutely loaded with sugar. Fortunately, the local SA population rioted and they brought back the original PB.
The latest example is the Kelloggs Rice Krispies where the original non-sugar loaded version was completely taken off the market and replaced with a tasteless mess until they loaded it with sugar. And all "justified " by some or other Market Survey.
Sugar is addictive and food companies exploit that fact and then play on adults to feed the sugar-loaded rubbish to their kids, Ultimately, it is all about creating the next generation of addicts.

Last edited:

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
How does one tune in to the SABC? I have not tried to watch their channels for the last 20 years.
Step 1 You have to own a TV.
Step 2 You could use a decoder (DSTV) if you are into sports; OVHD if you are into general entertainment.
Step 3 Look for the channels.
Alternatively, you could tune to the terrestrial signals either analogue or DVB-T2 ( depending on the Tv you have)

Feel better now?