there is no good news

Is South Africa doomed by crime?

• Yes!

Votes: 17 54.8%
  • No! We can still turn things around...

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Not sure...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

nocilah

Banned
http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/Home/0,,2-7,00.html

i went to the above link to find somethign positive about our country to post here and i struggled. There is an article about education plans where they want to create license's for teachers.

but then i thought how many taxi drivers also apparently have licenses...

i dunno how often the content on this page changes but:

Woman remembers night of terror in cell
Dog chases off attackers
Trains collide in Soweto
Jhb heist accused still in jail
Cops cleared after killing teen
Parolee 'shot execution-style'
6 nabbed over foreigner's death
SA tops UK crime warning list
Two wounded in Jhb shoot-out
Kruger to step up security

the above headlines make up 80% of the headlines on that page with some minor fluff and a couple of positive reports.

Has anyone seen the doccie Bowling for Columbine? Are we not in crime terror alert because of the media?

just a question?

JTech

Banned
there is no good news, this country is stuffed any angle you look at it...

nocilah

Banned
JTech said:
there is no good news, this country is stuffed any angle you look at it...
but do not someof use feel this way because of what the media is always reporting?

and when they do report something 'positive' it is either the same ole or something silly like a woman being reunited with her long lost dog.

JTech

Banned
I don't read much of the tripe in the media.. I don't listen to radio and certainly don't buy newspapers.. but I can observe that this country is stuffed because some people have more rights than I do because they are of a coveted skin colour.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator

ignacio

Banned
JTech said:
I don't read much of the tripe in the media.. I don't listen to radio and certainly don't buy newspapers.. but I can observe that this country is stuffed because some people have more rights than I do because they are of a coveted skin colour.
Surprise, surprise, more negative bullshit from a proud self-proclaimed ignoramus (tip: read newspapers to broaden your knowledge and perspective).

People have more rights than you because of your dismally low IQ, not your skin colour.

Last edited:

AntiThesis

Executive Member
Wow you really need to broaden your horizons JTech. You're not that AWB bloke that fell off his horse are you? Or the short german with a mustache and a pronounced anti-Judaism tinge?

As an aside, often why there's no good news is that it simply doesn't really sell. Headlines of "Police still keeping crime in check in Tinyvillagetown" and "Peace and quiet" aren't as grabbing as all the sombre stuff.

nocilah

Banned
kilps said:
i never visit mail & gaurdian and was reffering mainly to the news 24 page that i linked.

I am sure there are plenty valuable and positive reports out there like the one you have linked, but they get lost in the same old stories if you know what i mean. Do the media focus on crime because it is a major problem or because it sells? or both ?

The main reason why i feel negative about this country is because everyday in the news there are more negative stories then positive ones (and sometimes these are just fluff).

Just something i am pondering... and intersted what other forumites ( who read news sites or papers:D) think.

ignacio

Banned
halicon said:
The main reason why i feel negative about this country is because everyday in the news there are more negative stories then positive ones (and sometimes these are just fluff).

Just something i am pondering... and intersted what other forumites ( who read news sites or papers:D) think.
EVERY country's newspapers have the same thing....as AntiThesis says: negative sells.

Go to any newspaper's website to prove this for yourself.

Here is a nice story (sounds familiar... murder, rape, robberies, tourists warned, cops, and NOT South Africa!):
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/07/12/D8IQH9P05.html

Freshy-ZN

Executive Member
If 80% of 'newsworthy' stories are about violence, crime and useless politicians and 20% about nice things then its probably reflective of the events in our country ie 80% bad and 20% good (figures used are hyperthetical)

I fail to see how the bad news is simply there to sell papers/get web vistitors as we are fairly desensitised to it. Perhaps its simply a true reflection of the state of our nation?

ignacio

Banned
Freshy-ZN said:
If 80% of 'newsworthy' stories are about violence, crime and useless politicians and 20% about nice things then its probably reflective of the events in our country ie 80% bad and 20% good (figures used are hyperthetical)

I fail to see how the bad news is simply there to sell papers/get web vistitors as we are fairly desensitised to it. Perhaps its simply a true reflection of the state of our nation?
Possibly - but check out other country's newspapers. I have lived in enough countries to know that bad sells. 6 O'Clock news is depressing anywhere.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Freshy-ZN said:

I thought it was widely recognised that the old adage 'if it bleeds it leads' was true. They use these attention grabbing headlines to lure you in.

kingmonty

Expert Member
halicon said:
Has anyone seen the doccie Bowling for Columbine? Are we not in crime terror alert because of the media?

just a question?
We should be but aren't. For some bizarre reason certain factions in the givernment refuses to acknowledge that crime is out fo control. Besides for the crackdown against the spate of crims killing cops, no other action has been intitiated by the government whatsoever. South African citizens are under a type of terrorist threat. The sheer wave of crime which we are under is astonishing, and as soon as the new statistics are released (which will be heavily massaged I am sure) the spin doctors will once again go on their merry way in justifying what is actually happening.

Out of interest sake, in Thembisa, mob gangs are taking the law into their own hands almost daily against criminals, simply because there is hardly ever any kind of police action in any kind of timeous manner. Daily in Thembisa there are thousands of crimes taking place, ranging from robbery and muggings to murder. Sadly these stories never make any kind of media, because frankly the journos are likely too scared to go into Thembisa after dark. This is in one township. SA has hundreds of townships.

Also after lots and lots of research we have found that almost 50% of the respondents from Townships around gauteng are of the opinion that Non South African nationals are to blame for the majority of crimes.

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
While it may be true that crime sells additional newspapers, it's total rubbish to say that "negativity sells newspapers". In the UK, which has one of the highest newspaper readership in the world, it's certainly not the case. I was there in December and looked at the headlines in the Daily Telegraph - most were about the new Conservative leader etc. (I actually found the headlines boring) yet it's one of the best selling newspapers in the highly competitive UK market.

ajak

Expert Member
NO GOOD NEWS,NADA,NIKS,F-ALL, so I will light up my pipe and ponder this phenomena...my one dog had puppies...does that count for good news? Didn’t think so, how about if I tell you we are in Shiite street here in South Africa (wont do either) its old news. Then I’m afraid the only good news is that there is only bad news.
And by the way, who wants good news? I like bad news, it makes me lekker depressed.

spiderz

Honorary Master
With a goverment intent on makeing its subject defenseless, i can see no future for us. Zambia here we come 2!