There is no hell because no one has observed it.

rietrot

Executive Member
That record, she be stuck.
The argument that God only exist in an ever receding pocket of ignorance refutes the concept of god that uneducated people held for a small time during the dark ages. It doesn't even refute literal young earth creationism as they will also claim to follow the same science that doesn't refute God, were they only interpret the timelines differently.

evilstebunny

Honorary Master
Atheism is the decision by any person for any reason to decide that there is no God.

Sanity, education and logic do not enter the equation at this point. Atheism in itself suffers from a lot of illogical conclusions... the same illogical conclusions that Theism does.

As an Example, the Fallacy of the illicit negative, confirmation bias, Choice supportive bias and the entrenchment effect.

This does not mean that all Atheists or Theists are wrong but I've met very few who can give a well reasoned argument without falling into the various logical, cognitive or augmentative bias's which tend to skew our views.

Ergo, Atheists and Theist fall into the same logical traps to support their beliefs and somehow believe each other to be fundamentally wrong when committing the same fallacy's. :ROFL:
The primary logical fallacy that both sides suffer from is the Black/White Fallacy.
View attachment 561289
You're overthinking it, atheists don't need any justification or logical/scientific proof or conclusions substantiating their conviction in the lack of deities.
We can just 'believe' such a thing does not exist - like the other team - and be done with it.
Occam's razor I believe it is called?

Splinter

Honorary Master
The argument that God only exist in an ever receding pocket of ignorance refutes the concept of god that uneducated people held for a small time during the dark ages. It doesn't even refute literal young earth creationism as they will also claim to follow the same science that doesn't refute God, were they only interpret the timelines differently.
I'm not following what you are saying.

Splinter

Honorary Master
Sure man. :) Whatever you say.
Actually, all you have to say is that what he said was completely ridiculous and ignorant.

Apparently that's all you need to do, to refute something without actually having to debate or discuss what you are refuting.

Prawnapple

Actually, all you have to say is that what he said was completely ridiculous and ignorant.

Apparently that's all you need to do, to refute something without actually having to debate or discuss what you are refuting.
100% this. Maybe he can explain better what he means. The dark ages were not by any means the only portion of human history where God was receiding. The advances we've made in the last 100 years do the exact same thing. Psychology, physiology, medical scientific progress. We know that taking medicine removes pain and heals wounds that no amount of prayer can magically fix.

Swa

Honorary Master
You're overthinking it, atheists don't need any justification or logical/scientific proof or conclusions substantiating their conviction in the lack of deities.
We can just 'believe' such a thing does not exist - like the other team - and be done with it.
Indeed. Atheism is just a conscious decision and not a knowledge decision or default position.

Solarion

Honorary Master
Cool-looking ties aside, do you agree or disagree with that statement?
As for his statement. People make statements all the time; been like that for thousands of years. I keep my distance from the affairs of men when it comes to religion, for such things are like the wind; blowing one direction today, another direction tomorrow.

DMNknight

Expert Member
There is a fine line between overthinking it and intellectual laziness. A lot of people suffer from the latter and while those in the former should exercise WIFOM.
Most people just don't think enough about their stance, preferring rather to entrench their thoughts into their beliefs and then wrap it up with choice supportive bias and confirmation bias.

In essence, we have a 2 intellectually lazy sides clinging to their beliefs..
There's a third side, which ironically is covered by the bible that simply says the "God" is beyond understanding. We're proving through the sciences, that the universe is far wackier than we thought it was.
When I went to school, Matter had only 3 states. Solid, liquid and Gas. Now we have 6, with possibly a lot more on the way.

Then try and wrap your head around the 4th and 8th dimensions and then extrapolate that into what kind of "person" would be able to create ours. Then you start to get a glimpse of not understanding what or who God is.

I would rather get people to see they're being very narrow minded about the whole thing. Using beliefs that are now thousands of years old, use their god given intellect to adapt to the incredible vista the universe is turning out to be.

EADC

Expert Member
There is a fine line between overthinking it and intellectual laziness. A lot of people suffer from the latter and while those in the former should exercise WIFOM.
Most people just don't think enough about their stance, preferring rather to entrench their thoughts into their beliefs and then wrap it up with choice supportive bias and confirmation bias.

In essence, we have a 2 intellectually lazy sides clinging to their beliefs..
There's a third side, which ironically is covered by the bible that simply says the "God" is beyond understanding. We're proving through the sciences, that the universe is far wackier than we thought it was.
When I went to school, Matter had only 3 states. Solid, liquid and Gas. Now we have 6, with possibly a lot more on the way.

Then try and wrap your head around the 4th and 8th dimensions and then extrapolate that into what kind of "person" would be able to create ours. Then you start to get a glimpse of not understanding what or who God is.

I would rather get people to see they're being very narrow minded about the whole thing. Using beliefs that are now thousands of years old, use their god given intellect to adapt to the incredible vista the universe is turning out to be.
Sorry but you are incorrect Athiesm is not a side its not a collective. Its not a hive mind. I would imagine its like different denominations of Christianity we might get lumped under a banner but essentially all independent of each other.

DMNknight

Expert Member
Sorry but you are incorrect Athiesm is not a side its not a collective. Its not a hive mind. I would imagine its like different denominations of Christianity we might get lumped under a banner but essentially all independent of each other.
For not a collective, you certainly use "we" a lot ;)

Atheism, is reached because of a variety of factors as is Theism. However, the two view points are actually polar opposites in belief and can therefore be compared to each other.
Observation of both groups of people has lead me to observe what I said before.

I don't see how that is incorrect though

EADC

Expert Member
For not a collective, you certainly use "we" a lot ;)

Atheism, is reached because of a variety of factors as is Theism. However, the two view points are actually polar opposites in belief and can therefore be compared to each other.
Observation of both groups of people has lead me to observe what I said before.

I don't see how that is incorrect though
I believe you are wrong and in my belief system what I and only I observe or have faith in is correct.

DMNknight

Expert Member
I believe you are wrong and in my belief system what I and only I observe or have faith in is correct.
Your belief may be correct in your mind, but if it doesn't matter how much you believe you can fly, the Cliff and more importantly gravity, do not agree with you.

There's a fine line that must be walked between reality and belief.

Prawnapple

You made the claim that god is receding. I would like to know which one?
Every god which can fit into the following catagory:

God
ɡɒd/
noun
  1. 1.
    (in Christianity and other monotheistic religions) the creator and ruler of the universe and source of all moral authority; the supreme being.
  2. 2.
    (in certain other religions) a superhuman being or spirit worshipped as having power over nature or human fortunes; a deity.
Either of these don't exist and if you do insist they exist... well you have an extraordinary claim and will be required to provide all the extraordinary evidence to support that claim.