Thermo-nuclear home theatre

HapticSimian

Honorary Master
As mentioned here, the new home theatre setup Sony SA spoilt me with as compensation for their repair agents' effect on my blood pressure left me with a bit of a hassle - SPACE!

So, 90 degree rotation of the living room is now complete. I had flashbacks of a less happy time, around 4 years of age, when I once became marginally frustrated with a jigsaw puzzle, but my wife and I overcame the strife... it all fits, just.

However, this
picture.php

had me a little worried. I was concerned that the new system's two, yes TWO, amps were going to cook each other. :(

Which gave me another puzzle for today, solved thusly:
picture.php

Bits:
  • 1 x 1 Ampere AC to 12V DC adaptor - R60 from Checkers
  • 2 x 17dB (very, very quiet) 120mm PC fans - R100 ea. from Matrix
  • 1 x Bit of masonite - R15 from Builders' Warehouse
  • 8 x 50mm screws with matching washers & nuts - R5 from Rand Nut 'n Bolt
Total Outlay: R280

Result: PRICELESS!!
picture.php

It feels like I've got my own Bat Cave! :D :twisted:

I R happy

Notes:
  1. No, my TV isn't giving out - I caught the end of a fish-eye shot... :p
  2. The fans give a faint blue glow against the wall with the lights off. It matches the TV's power light. I like it.
  3. They suck enough air through the spaces between the two amps to hold a sheet of A4 paper fast. The top of the table used to get hot to the touch... not any more.
  4. It feels horrid to take a wire cutter to brand new items, even if it's only to snip off a couple of Molex connectors from the fans & the power connectors from the adaptor.

I am Penguin

Executive Member
So all the initial Angst was in vain! See it can be done, if you are willing to try at least! Good luck with the Sony, Please just respect the neighbors unless they forgot to respect You. :whistling: ;)

Last edited:

Peon

Expert Member
What bobblehead is that on the right hand side of that last picture? Is it one from Fallout3?

I am Penguin

Executive Member
Why, I've got enough heat issues as it is. :erm: Let's see what GT5 has to offer when (if ;) ) it's released...

No more heat apart from generated by the PS3 users fast pulse rate when he experience the best available! :D

Bugger gaming, move onto intro HD, BluRay and HT experience. Use that Sony rig to experience DTS ES 6.2 sound and beyond. Then there is 3D TV and BluRay coming this year. (Also on the PS3 and Xbox.)

Anyway Nice Job in the end. I love it. The are are a bit restricted for proper surround sound but I am sure once you are used to it you will experiment with the speaker placements and auto speaker setup.

Last edited:

HapticSimian

Honorary Master
No more heat apart from generated by the PS3 users fast pulse rate when he experience the best available! :D

Bugger gaming, move onto intro HD, BluRay and HT experience. Use that Sony rig to experience DTS ES 6.2 sound and beyond. Then there is 3D TV and BluRay coming this year. (Also on the PS3 and Xbox.)

Anyway Nice Job in the end. I love it. The are are a bit restricted for proper surround sound but I am sure once you are used to it you will experiment with the speaker placements and auto speaker setup.

Bluray's done via my HP notebook - HDMI output and BD drive, so that's old news. And as for experimenting with speaker placement - nuh uh... Not unless I extend the room by 3 meters. :( I sat with floor planning software trying to get the placement better than that but it's a no-go; this is the ONLY way everything fits. At least the rear satellites are quite widely spaced...

I wanted to place the shelves next to the TV trolley, with the speakers outside that, but it wouldn't have worked. The telly would've been too deep in relation to the shelves - half the seats in the lounge wouldn't have line of sight. :crying:

Thanks for the compliment, though. Must say I'm well chuffed.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
just remember to give the fans a good blow once a month to get the dust out. Or give them a good wash every six months. Looks great though! Well done!

Keeper

Honorary Master
cool, I have that exact same LCD

wish I had 2 Sony amps tho :whistling:

rorz0r

Executive Member
Do you have to turn on the fans manually now? I've heard that system courtesy of a friend that works at sony, pretty impressive... I'm worried about those plates/"chargers" when you crank up the bass tho.

HapticSimian

Honorary Master
Do you have to turn on the fans manually now? I've heard that system courtesy of a friend that works at sony, pretty impressive... I'm worried about those plates/"chargers" when you crank up the bass tho.

For the time being it's manual operation for the fans, yes. However, I will eventually follow the method shown in the thread on AVForums that gave me the idea - using an automatic PC fan controller installed inside a 3.5" external HDD caddy to control the fans. With thermostats and whatnot the operation is completely automated.

As for the bass... oh, it's been cranked. ;)