These are the common items the SA Post Office wants private couriers to stop delivering

boboudts

So the Post Office don't do their job properly and everyone stops using them. Then they come crying that we have to make use of them no matter what.

**** off Post Office.
That's how anc central control communism works....a carbon copy of their chinese buddies!

Beware of these people and their self serving agenda and ideology!

Anon313

These are the common items the SA Post Office wants private couriers to stop delivering

South Africans could soon only get items like smartphones, small electronics, bank cards, and medication delivered by the Post Office.

This is if it wins its court face-off with PostNet and the South African Express Parcel Association (SAEPA) over the delivery of packages weighing 1kg and less.

ICASA’s Complaints and Compliance Commission (CCC) in late 2019 ruled that PostNet had contravened the Postal Services Act by transporting and delivering such packages.
I will now add a brick to be delivered with whatever I want that's under 1kg. The post office can rot in hell.

lexis

Easy, just order a liter of water with every order.
Or like someone I know who always ordered an additional bottle of wine in order to qualify for free delivery. :)

Worked great until the whole package was delayed due to the prohibition. :(

supersunbird

Honorary Master
The only bankcards that get couriered are usually private banking clients. Most goes to the branches

At the end most companies will hire their own staff for deliveries. Ie Takealot delivers iself. Butlers deliver itself. Mcdonalds deliver itself.

Courier companies and postnet will suffer most. They dont deliver their own stuff.

Not FNB (there are threads around here about it), they prefer to courier it, if you want to collect it at a branch they will charge you a fee for it.

You sure learned a lot about banking this week (like Capitec having the most clients).

ChasI

South Africans could soon only get items like smartphones, small electronics, bank cards, and medication delivered by the Post Office.

This is if it wins its court face-off with PostNet and the South African Express Parcel Association (SAEPA) over the delivery of packages weighing 1kg and less.

ICASA’s Complaints and Compliance Commission (CCC) in late 2019 ruled that PostNet had contravened the Postal Services Act by transporting and delivering such packages.
No Way. PO services must compete on an open playing field or fail as it has done for years.

lkswan747

Expert Member
This is how the Post Office delivers items that are less than 1Kg in Kempton Park!:mad:
They just discard the mail items in the veld. Boxes and boxes of mail have already been collected and will be handed over to EMPD for investigation.
This needs to be brought to the attention of ICASA before they make their ruling! Anyone have contacts within ICASA can PM me so I can send the pictures to ICASA.

83fd7bef-54f7-4f5d-bf20-ec7b039f38f0.JPG
8372256e-b34e-40f9-a4a7-53fdae0131c3.JPG c2df0c58-12b4-45b6-b69f-d044139c31ef.JPG
fd3289c3-1572-48d7-9e42-45f7643df697.JPG

sl0m0_za

SAPO cannot even find there arse with both hands. They do not deliver to my town, Post Office here is only open one day per week............emergency medicine - only if you plan at least 3 months in advance....

Swa

Honorary Master
I totally would have agreed with you.... if I had the same confidence in the judicial system as you. Unfortunately, I don't.
Thing is they are relying on being an essential service provider but have proven they are neither essential nor fulfilling their mandate. There was a time when nobody could compete with them as nobody could match their footprint or service. They killed that off all by themselves. Now the roles are reversed.

rvZA

Expert Member
Thing is they are relying on being an essential service provider but have proven they are neither essential nor fulfilling their mandate. There was a time when nobody could compete with them as nobody could match their footprint or service. They killed that off all by themselves. Now the roles are reversed.

The problem is, I do not have faith in the South African judicial system that the higher courts will see this in the same light we do.

alansnow

Does SAPO provide delivery service level agreements? What recourse do I have for non-delivery? If SAPO win court case, can we sue re delays, non delivery etc?

rvZA

Expert Member
Does SAPO provide delivery service level agreements? What recourse do I have for non-delivery? If SAPO win court case, can we sue re delays, non delivery etc?

You will have no recourse, only financial losses. This is what the ANC wants.

Supervan II

Expert Member
If a belt breaks their responsibility ends with the contractor, it relies on the baggage handlers to move to another belt or manually transfer luggage if needed, and yes apron services have action plans in place in the event of failure, additionally they have between 12am and 4-5 am to take care of any maintance requirements.

In other words while providing the infrastructure, and the subcontractor they have zero liability and responsibility other then being the enforcer. In other words if baggage goes missing, or is damaged it is up to the airline and apron services to mediate. While the airline will take immediate responsibility in some instances, they too shift responsibility to that of apron services or any other baggage handler.

So ACSA's physical responsibility stops at providing the infrastructure, this will also mean in some instances belt equipment belonging to the actual baggage handler or sub contractor.
Fark me, this sound just like our government - minus the infrastructure part, of course.

Supervan II

Expert Member
The article is rubbish. SAPO refers to posted articles and not couriered articles. Letters etc.
Read the Postal Services Act.

Basically:
any document;
if it is in an envelope, it's post;
even books, packets & parcels, etc, etc ... (yes, SAPO would love to broaden the scope even further)

There is even provision made for a "postal license" plus registration fees of course.

AND: (it used to be) everything else goes by rail! _________ <--- (watch this space)

wizardofid

Executive Member
Fark me, this sound just like our government - minus the infrastructure part, of course.
Look it is about risk management, baggage is going to get lost and stolen, and with such a large company with several airports in your care, do you really want that risk and expenditure, for every lost bag. Sure you shifting blame and responsibility to some one else, but it is a business after all and if you can mitigate the risk and not make it your problem why not.

It is just easier to subcontract and manage them, also easier to deal with contractors in the event of strikes, protests and what not else, flights are going to arrive regardless of people striking or not, so business disruption is minimized as well and the general impact isn't wide spread, especially when you have several different contractors working in a small city.It is just simple risk management, and considering they have been turning a profit every year and don't rely on goverment funding what so ever, unlike SAA, who got preference at the airport with just about every thing, giving them advantage over other airlines and still not being able to make use of that. Go figure.

Swa

Honorary Master
Icasa. Unfortunately they are just as useless.