These are the most powerful smartphones you can buy in South Africa for less than R10,000

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Still using my P20 Pro for third year.
There is nothing better yet to upgrade to.

Sapphiron

Expert Member
I bought my wife a 128GB Redmi Note 10 Pro for R5500 and it included a smart band. (to replace her redmi 3S from 2017)

Definitely not worth spending almost double for anything more than that for most people. It has an OLED 120Hz display and nice large 5000mah battery, a SD card slot and a headphone jack.

BTW, @mylesillidge the specs on your Xiaomi Mi 10T is incorrect, it has a 108MP sensor and it has 8GB of RAM. https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_10t_pro_5g-10437.php

crysis

Expert Member
I bought my wife a 128GB Redmi Note 10 Pro for R5500 and it included a smart band. (to replace her redmi 3S from 2017)

Definitely not worth spending almost double for anything more than that for most people. It has an OLED 120Hz display and nice large 5000mah battery, a SD card slot and a headphone jack.

BTW, @mylesillidge the specs on your Xiaomi Mi 10T is incorrect, it has a 108MP sensor and it has 8GB of RAM. https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_10t_pro_5g-10437.php
Pretty much this.

quax

OMG is GSM Arena still a thing! :ROFL:

G.A.S

With flagship smartphone prices rising and consumers holding onto their devices for longer than before, major Android smartphone manufacturers have started offering longer support for devices.
Because some smartphones are crazy expensive in recent years...

RaptorSA

Executive Member
Got a Poco F3 for about R8K
Worst stock ROM ever... had to load Lineage OS on it for the damn thing to be useful and of course, now I get cockblocked by work apps seeing rooting as a security risk... *sigh*.
Also, I hate the size and weight of the newer phones... they're just way too big these days.

Regretting my purchase and would have stuck with my OnePlus 5T if it wasn't getting a bit old in the tooth by now.
120Hz refresh rate is nice though.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Sorry I couldn't resist :oops:

I have nfi what the phone is like
For me it's decent at R7k (also I'm biased cause the Reno 5 5G is the best phone I've used in a long time)

BODYDimensions162.9 x 74.7 x 8.4 mm (6.41 x 2.94 x 0.33 in)
Weight190 g (6.70 oz)
SIMDual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
DISPLAYTypeIPS LCD, 90Hz, 480 nits (typ)
Size6.5 inches, 102.0 cm2 (~83.8% screen-to-body ratio)
Resolution1080 x 2400 pixels, 20:9 ratio (~405 ppi density)
PLATFORMOSAndroid 11, ColorOS 11.1
ChipsetQualcomm SM4350 Snapdragon 480 5G (8 nm)
CPUOcta-core (2x2.0 GHz Kryo 460 & 6x1.8 GHz Kryo 460)
GPUAdreno 619
MEMORYCard slotmicroSDXC
Internal128GB 6GB RAM
UFS 2.1 (single lane)
MAIN CAMERAQuad48 MP, f/1.7, 26mm (wide), 1/2.0", 0.8µm, PDAF

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
For example, its latest iOS 15 operating system is supported as far back as on the iPhone 6 Plus
You guys need to hire a fact-checker aka me. The iPhone 6s Plus got iOS 15. Whereas the non s version is stuck on iOS 12.

BCR

Expert Member
"With flagship smartphone prices rising and consumers holding onto their devices for longer than before, major Android smartphone manufacturers have started offering longer support for devices."

Don't know where this was quoted from, but I think especially wrt security support, it was much more a case of Google pushing the manufacturers to offer longer support than the reasons given above.

From an article 3 years ago :

Google mandates two years of security updates for popular phones in new Android contract.

If one reads the article it states in greater detail :

"A contract obtained by The Verge requires Android device makers to regularly install updates for any popular phone or tablet for at least two years. Google’s contract with Android partners stipulates that they must provide “at least four security updates” within one year of the phone’s launch. Security updates are mandated within the second year as well, though without a specified minimum number of releases."

... so it was more Google forcing them into it than out of the goodness of their own hearts, or for other reasons given, is my understanding of the situation.

ronz91

Expert Member
Glad they added quite a few online shops for prices. The release dates for the devices would've been useful. I have also realised that improvements are now incremental and want to hang onto a phone for longer. This is annoying as it is noted that android usually only gets you a couple of years of updates. I had hoped Google would apply the pressure by guaranteeing 5 years of OS updates with the Pixel 6 range but sadly only 5 years of security updates which is decent.