These are the South Africans who have taken the global tech industry by storm

hj007

Expert Member
There are many more. Interesting that one of the WooCommerce guys was just tweeting about how you no longer need to be in Silicon Valley to do these kind of things and that Covid has accelerated the trend of more global hubs. So if you're in tech you needn't lose faith, there are opportunities outside of Silicon Valley (but I'm still skeptical about SA).

cguy

Executive Member
There are many more. Interesting that one of the WooCommerce guys was just tweeting about how you no longer need to be in Silicon Valley to do these kind of things and that Covid has accelerated the trend of more global hubs. So if you're in tech you needn't lose faith, there are opportunities outside of Silicon Valley (but I'm still skeptical about SA).

Yup, I know several who have had major impacts on both tech and finance, and have been very financially successful because of this, but the world will never hear of them because they’re not CEOs or self-promoters.

hj007

Expert Member
Yup, I know several who have had major impacts on both tech and finance, and have been very financially successful because of this, but the world will never hear of them because they’re not CEOs or self-promoters.
The sad fact of self promotion is that you will hear of those that self promote and therefore think you need to self promote.

Fuzzbox

Expert Member
Sad , as most of them saw no opportunities in South Africa.
Elon left about 30 years ago so we don't really have any claim to fame as he saw no future here.
He was born here and that's it.

Gudnews

Expert Member
Elon left about 30 years ago so we don't really have any claim to fame as he saw no future here.
Silicon Valley>everything

C4Cat

Honorary Master
He was also educated here and was a beneficiary of apartheid. Not to take anything away from his incredible talent, intelligence and achievements, but it was more than just being born here

azbob

Honorary Master

Left because he saw no future here or left because he was bullied?

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
Clickatell was founded in 2000 in Cape Town and created the first-ever API between cellphones and computers – allowing users to send an SMS from the Internet to a recipient’s cellphone.

An interesting claim: At MTN in 1999, we had a web-to-SMS interface which was used globally and I pitched to Microsoft in the US based on our service. We also had a CORBA-based interface for clients to use (Janus).

I can't see how a company could create the first API if the operator (MTN) had not already created it! Otherwise, what would Clickatell connect to? We implemented the Genius platform, together with the Windows client and opened the SMPP protocol on a commercial basis to multiple wholesale players.

Well before that you could send an SMS via a PC connected to a cellphone, and I myself easily created a connection to a Siemens M1 modem which could do the same.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
He was also educated here and was a beneficiary of apartheid. Not to take anything away from his incredible talent, intelligence and achievements, but it was more than just being born here

He left after high school, so he only benefitted for the first 18 years of his life.

After that, he was just like everyone else in Canada or the USA - in fact, probably at a disadvantage due to being an immigrant.