These are the world's most reliable hard drives

Hanno Labuschagne

MyBroadband
Staff member
Super Moderator

Cloud backup provider Backblaze has released its hard drive reliability statistics for 2020.

The company compiled the report from data on the active hard drives used in its daily operations – including Seagate, Toshiba, and HGST.

Reliability was measured as an annualised failure rate, calculated using the number of drive failures relative to the number of active drive days for each disk.

Totempole

Expert Member
I've found Seagate to have been the least reliable for me. WD not bad, but those old Maxtor's - they lasted forever. I think if i could connect an old IDE drive up now those Maxtors would still be working.

Seagate have also made some exceptionally shitty drives in their time as well though, such as the DM001 range which can still be found on the open market to this day.

gregmcc

Honorary Master
I still have a pile of IDE Maxtors running in a old NAS (Probably running 14 years now)

Dan C

Honorary Master
There is no such thing as a reliable hard drive.

Crumbl0x

There is no such thing as a reliable hard drive.
Technically true, but there is such a thing as quality throughput, and those old Maxtor's / Hitachi's hold that bar high that I can personally attest to as well, also which Seagate is faultering with the most then and now. The title would be better known as 'Drives least likely to prematurely fail' but any and all of them can at any moment's notice.

ConfusedR

I bought 2 Seagate drives and 1 Western Digital drive, on the same day about 4 years ago.
Both Seagate drives have red warnings on them, in my monitoring software and the Western Digital is still running fine with no warnings.

gottagoon

Executive Member
I've a Seagate 120GB in my Acer lappie. No bad blocks and it's now 14yrs old. Still like new :thumbsup:.

genetic

Honorary Master
Have a few hard drives lying around. All between 1TB and 8TB. The drives I've had fail on me were three Seagate 7200.11 1TB ST31000333AS drives. The 7200.11 series was apparently notorious for mechanical failures. Paid over R8,000 for data recovery on the one, luckily all data was retrieved.

IMG_20210206_133221.jpg

Moto Guzzi

Expert Member

Cloud backup provider Backblaze has released its hard drive reliability statistics for 2020.

The company compiled the report from data on the active hard drives used in its daily operations – including Seagate, Toshiba, and HGST.

Reliability was measured as an annualised failure rate, calculated using the number of drive failures relative to the number of active drive days for each disk.

Had a SEagate & WD failed, never a Toshiba, so I buy Toshiba......till that fails.

Leftfoot

Expert Member
Having lost 4 Seagate 2Tb drives in one year, I’ll never buy another Seagate. I now have Toshiba and WD running well for over 3 years on my video editing desk.
Interestingly I have a Seagate 2Tb SSD as a system drive..... only one year old and I’ve already had to reinstall the system because of boot sector and index errors..... ( not 100% sure it was the drive but proceeding cautiously)

Data recover of over R20000 is just not worth the Seagate risk anymore

P924

Expert Member
I've found Seagate to have been the least reliable for me. WD not bad, but those old Maxtor's - they lasted forever. I think if i could connect an old IDE drive up now those Maxtors would still be working.
Maxtor was the worst junk money could buy. Seagate used to be great - until they bought Maxtor and pretty much replaced all the consumer drives with Maxtor technology.