They’re Lying about Louis C.K

Emjay

Executive Member
when you use your mouth you get harassed (posts deleted, censored for not being a good girl). read this thread.
So, someone harassed you, you (or someone else) spoke up about it, and those offenses were dealt with? Stop making out like you are a victim.

lunch

You need to harden up. Life must be very hard if you are so vulnerable that a man's look can make you feel so weak and feeble. You have a mouth. Use it. Maybe you will command a little respect.
But it's so much easier to be a victim man, and I'm lazy

DMNknight

Expert Member
We need to find a way to shut these people up that are causing problems and let men and women sort out the dynamic for themselves. We do not need saving. We are strong and resilient and can take care of each other.
I need something a lot stronger than a like button for that response.

It's not just sitcoms.
My dad's generation, was the first generation where sex was recreation, because of the birth control pill. The major change this brought about in the dynamic of couples was drastic.
Before, contraception was literally not wanting the risk of another baby. Self-control was essentially a requirement, because bringing up 11 kids without the means to do so was helluva irresponsible and cruel.

The idea of a "teenager" with afternoons to spend in idle past times, wasn't a thing until the 1920's. Before then, children were labourers, adding to the income of the household as soon as they were able to carry a spade or a bucket.

TV, not much long after, swiftly followed by movies and the like.

The pill, also had another huge consequence, the literal overnight doubling of the available workforce, doubling of demand on tertiary education and the outsourcing of child care to institutions not within the family structure.

The internet and mobile phones in the 1970's becoming mainstream just before the millenium.

If you look at the timelines, we've barely had a generation between major technological advances, to process responsible means to use these.

Considering the timelines before, technological advancement moved at a snails pace and we sometimes had quite a few generations to process the proper use of new things and how they changed society.

Even with Information Technology, we've become so used to having answers at our fingertips, that people are so used to being fed information and if they don't get that information, they get upset.

There's a lot of growing up we need to do and we need to do it quickly.

KT-B

Honorary Master
I need something a lot stronger than a like button for that response.

It's not just sitcoms.
My dad's generation, was the first generation where sex was recreation, because of the birth control pill. The major change this brought about in the dynamic of couples was drastic.
Before, contraception was literally not wanting the risk of another baby. Self-control was essentially a requirement, because bringing up 11 kids without the means to do so was helluva irresponsible and cruel.

The idea of a "teenager" with afternoons to spend in idle past times, wasn't a thing until the 1920's. Before then, children were labourers, adding to the income of the household as soon as they were able to carry a spade or a bucket.

TV, not much long after, swiftly followed by movies and the like.

The pill, also had another huge consequence, the literal overnight doubling of the available workforce, doubling of demand on tertiary education and the outsourcing of child care to institutions not within the family structure.

The internet and mobile phones in the 1970's becoming mainstream just before the millenium.

If you look at the timelines, we've barely had a generation between major technological advances, to process responsible means to use these.

Considering the timelines before, technological advancement moved at a snails pace and we sometimes had quite a few generations to process the proper use of new things and how they changed society.

Even with Information Technology, we've become so used to having answers at our fingertips, that people are so used to being fed information and if they don't get that information, they get upset.

There's a lot of growing up we need to do and we need to do it quickly.
This is very true - we are a species on fast forward. But our "adult personas" are having trouble keeping up. That is why we see so much childish behaviour from various people. I don't mean childlike - that would be a good thing. I mean irresponsibility - lack of consequence for words or actions. Our psyches need to catch up to our minds. We are progressing so fast but not seeing our responsibility. We think we are autonomous instead of parts of a whole. A community.

So I agree with you. We either need to learn these things quickly - or we need to slow down until we do. We will self-destruct if we don't.

Emjay

Executive Member
This is very true - we are a species on fast forward. But our "adult personas" are having trouble keeping up. That is why we see so much childish behaviour from various people. I don't mean childlike - that would be a good thing. I mean irresponsibility - lack of consequence for words or actions. Our psyches need to catch up to our minds. We are progressing so fast but not seeing our responsibility. We think we are autonomous instead of parts of a whole. A community.

So I agree with you. We either need to learn these things quickly - or we need to slow down until we do. We will self-destruct if we don't.
I think it's more of a victimhood mentality. And words are just words unless they are enticing violence. One of the biggest problems we face today is freedom of speech and expression, because words have been deemed as violence. I think we should teach our children that the world can be hard place, and give them the tools to understand it, and learn on how to deal with differing views. Sexism, racism, all the 'isims, violence, etc are never going away.

KT-B

Honorary Master
I think it's more of a victimhood mentality. And words are just words unless they are enticing violence. One of the biggest problems we face today is freedom of speech and expression, because words have been deemed as violence. I think we should teach our children that the world can be hard place, and give them the tools to understand it, and learn on how to deal with differing views. Sexism, racism, all the 'isims, violence, etc are never going away.
I agree with you except for words just being words. You know the saying "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me" ? That is a lie. Words hurt more than anything physical - as the scars never go away. More fights are started because of words - than they are because of actions.

Advertising and marketing use trigger words - words that make you react in a certain way. Even when an SJW comments - people are angered by the words they use. Trolls are masters at using trigger words. Words are incredibly powerful - they can break or build a person. Destroy a country. Destroy an economy. To some of us - words are more important than facial expressions.

Emjay

Executive Member
I agree with you except for words just being words. You know the saying "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me" ? That is a lie. Words hurt more than anything physical - as the scars never go away. More fights are started because of words - than they are because of actions.

Advertising and marketing use trigger words - words that make you react in a certain way. Even when an SJW comments - people are angered by the words they use. Trolls are masters at using trigger words. Words are incredibly powerful - they can break or build a person. Destroy a country. Destroy an economy. To some of us - words are more important than facial expressions.
The problem is that society is now determining morality based on words, and the feelings they invoke. For instance, a man cannot be a woman. This is 100% grounded in science. However, it is extremely transphobic. There are some hard truths in life. Many times we can be hurt by words (which can be true). Life is full of confrontations. We need to be able to deal with those confrontations without escalating the situation. That is a learnt skill, but does not mean we molly coddle our children. It also does not mean we go around and say nasty things because we can. Our first rule should be do no harm. This is why strength and being able to deal with criticism is an important character builder.

DMNknight

Expert Member
The victimhood mentality has come about because people have found out that they can get away with murder, as long as they can sell it from a moral high ground.
We've forgotten that personal responsibility comes first and foremost in our lives.
Why use crime to get money, when you can guilt someone into giving it to you?
Why be responsible, when you can just make an excuse not to?

We have been working so hard on providing rights to people, that we've forgotten to educate them on the fact that rights are only the space in which you can exercise your responsibilities without interference.

Name any right in the Charter of human rights and simply tack on "..but do so responsibly" at the end of each. Done.

KT-B

Honorary Master
The problem is that society is now determining morality based on words, and the feelings they invoke. For instance, a man cannot be a woman. This is 100% grounded in science. However, it is extremely transphobic. There are some hard truths in life. Many times we can be hurt by words (which can be true). Life is full of confrontations. We need to be able to deal with those confrontations without escalating the situation. That is a learnt skill, but does not mean we molly coddle our children. It also does not mean we go around and say nasty things because we can. Our first rule should be do no harm. This is why strength and being able to deal with criticism is an important character builder.
Absolutely! Well said.

KT-B

Honorary Master
I prefer the Ronnie Johns Chopper version :laugh:
lol We all have our favourite versions :laugh: What is that saying - there is nothing new on heaven and earth.... Everything - even ideas and beliefs - are recycled. I wonder if we had snowflakes before - and if they melted over time. Perhaps these will melt too.