They just started dropping' - Heroes tell of dramatic scramble after people collapse in Cape Town

Mila

Honorary Master
The city's labs test the quality of the municipal supply continuously.
But do they test for that?
Yes I know they do broad tests but if its contaminated how long before they establish what exactly it is can shut it down?
By then many would have been poisoned.
Thank goodness I do not drink water.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
What's a hero? Let's look at the definition. Anyone has an 18th century definition for us?
Why 18th century? The current definition is surely sufficient:

note the absence of "person who performed an act of kindness at no risk to themselves that may or may not have resulted in lives saved" ...

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Why 18th century? The current definition is surely sufficient:

note the absence of "person who performed an act of kindness at no risk to themselves that may or may not have resulted in lives saved" ...
A person noted for feats of courage or nobility of purpose, especially one who has risked or sacrificed his or her life.
These "good samaritans" may still be regarded heroes according to the definition, but those who sacrifice their lives are most revered.

schumi

Honorary Master
Minstrel owner's bar in the spotlight after 'mass poisoning' in Cape Town

A victim of the mass “poisoning” incident in the Cape Town suburb of Wetton said he and five others who ended up in hospital on Monday were given a clear, sour-tasting liquid to drink with food from a soup kitchen.

Numerous witnesses alleged the food was handed out at The Penn, a bar owned by minstrels boss Richard “Pot” Stemmet.

But on Wednesday Stemmet told TimesLIVE what he told the police: “I can’t say because I wasn’t there. People say there were people there giving food, that’s all that I know about.

“I didn’t know what’s happening there. I also investigated. So at this point, I can’t tell you anything,” he said.

Asked what his investigation had unearthed, he said he found nothing.

Stemmet has been arrested five times on charges including assault, dealing in drugs, motor vehicle theft and possession of an unlicensed firearm with cases dating back to 1994. All the cases against him were withdrawn.

Mondi Dunga, a homeless man living on the streets in the area, said he felt drunk after having a single tot of liquid given to him with free food.

Dunga said everyone who drank the liquid, which he described as wine “with a sour taste”, soon after collapsed with convulsions.

He woke up in hospital, where doctors had pumped his stomach. “It was very strong. I think they put something in there,” said Dunga.

A witness who accompanied Dunga said the liquid was handed out when there was no food left.

“The food was finished klaar, so another guy came and gave these guys wine. It was the same guys, the same restaurant,” he alleged.
More at:

Daruk

Honorary Master
And? Has the place been closed and the contents confiscated for forensics yet?

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
If they pumped his stomach why did they not test the contents to see if it was pesticide or some other contaminant?

This is why our Listeria crisis went on so long, we have absolutely no clue how to function with suspected group food incidents.