They kept me hostage, assaulted me and didn't pay wages, claims domestic worker

schumi

Honorary Master
Cape Town - A 60-year-old domestic worker had to be rescued from her employers in Rylands, where she said conditions were “worse than Pollsmoor”.

Police have opened a case of common assault against her bosses after they allegedly beat her and kept her at the house without pay for 10 months.

A week ago, Lydia Gwele, was rescued from the Ernest Street house by Athlone police and her brother, Simphiwe Dukiso.

On Wednesday, Gwele told the Daily Voice she has lost more than 20kg since she was employed by the family.

Gwele has not been paid since she started working there in April and is still waiting for unpaid wages amounting to more than R30 000.

Last week, Gwele’s brother Simphiwe brought cops from Athlone police station to the house and they forced open the gates.

“I tried to call her in December, but we could not reach her,” he said.

“She made contact with me via someone in Rylands and said I must make an excuse like there was a sickness or death in the family so they could send her home because they were keeping her hostage.
More at : https://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/western-cape/they-kept-me-hostage-assaulted-me-and-didnt-pay-wages-claims-domestic-worker-42214437

maumau

Honorary Master
Tell us more...
It's in the article Champles :)

"In 2010, the bosses were featured in the Daily Voice when the South African Domestic Service and Allied Union received reports they were mistreating their workers, hosing them with cold water and feeding them rotten fruit."

EDIT: I see it's been mentioned already.

thechamp

Honorary Master
It's in the article Champles :)

"In 2010, the bosses were featured in the Daily Voice when the South African Domestic Service and Allied Union received reports they were mistreating their workers, hosing them with cold water and feeding them rotten fruit."

EDIT: I see it's been mentioned already.
Sure I saw it thanks.