They kept me hostage, assaulted me and didn't pay wages, claims domestic worker

maumau

Honorary Master
So, she had a choice than. And her IQ is? Either way, why is no one mentioning racism?
Does Malema and myBB ANC brigade know about all this abuse?
Sick minded employer if you ask me. If true, should rot in jail until Jesus comes.
The employer is probably not white, otherwise it would have been in the headline.

yebocan

Honorary Master
We can safely assume Indian.
correct again, with caveat - can safely assume of the muslim persuasion aswell. Not the first, and will not be the last. Usual MO, recruit people from the rural areas... promising the usual , better life and can send money back to support their families.

access

Executive Member
correct again, with caveat - can safely assume of the muslim persuasion aswell. Not the first, and will not be the last. Usual MO, recruit people from the rural areas... promising the usual , better life and can send money back to support their families.
you say it as if this is a casual occurrence, hectic.

then again...

had run in with a lady driving into me, "i used my indicator" she said, after she just changed lanes into my back wheel.. accused me of all sorts of things, only to leave no details and rush off. after tracing various things i took down, i found out that they are saudi nationals and the woman driving didnt have a drivers license nor did the car belong to her, which made sense by the way she was carrying on and didnt want to show me identification or license

so yeah maybe some mentalities are being imported...

Reactions: ES1

yebocan

Honorary Master
you say it as if this is a casual occurrence, hectic.

then again...

had run in with a lady driving into me, "i used my indicator" she said, after she just changed lanes into my back wheel.. accused me of all sorts of things, only to leave no details and rush off. after tracing various things i took down, i found out that they are saudi nationals and the woman driving didnt have a drivers license nor did the car belong to her, which made sense by the way she was carrying on and didnt want to show me identification or license

so yeah maybe some mentalities are being imported...
possibly, be recall this sort of crap from my childhood days....35+ years ago. Coming from a coloured community, talk of this sort of ill treatment was common. Exploitation of the vulnerable.

Reactions: ES1

sparticus

Expert Member
So, she had a choice than. And her IQ is? Either way, why is no one mentioning racism? Is the cruel employer not white or what? Does Malema and myBB ANC brigade know about all this abuse?
Sick minded employer if you ask me. If true, should rot in jail until Jesus comes.
Rylands is a predominantly Indian area. Business owners etc. They are not a poor area and most likely not a drug den. Just predujice to the local community and workers. Suppose one could argue its up bringing but at the end of the day its simply modern slavery. Hope they get jail time the fu**s

Jabulani22

Expert Member
You can assume a lot but once you assume them belonging to the religion of peace then you will earn the wrath of mohammeds apologist brigade.

yebocan

Honorary Master
You can assume a lot but once you assume them belonging to the religion of peace then you will earn the wrath of mohammeds apologist brigade.
Yep... and here you come with your match of incitement / ignorance ...nee dankie, dus naweek.

Jabulani22

Expert Member
Yep... and here you come with your match of incitement / ignorance ...nee dankie, dus naweek.
No incitement , just a friendly reminder , many things may be assumed but not that which you did.

schumi

Honorary Master
Maid allegedly held prisoner in Rylands home awarded R42 500 payout

A maid, who claimed she was mistreated and held prisoner at her employers’ house without pay for 10 months, has been awarded a R42 500 settlement.

The Department of Labour reached a settlement between domestic worker Lydia Gwala, 60, and her Rylands bosses last week.

The settlement was paid in cash on 17 March and the employers were also ordered to sign an agreement to pay her UIF.

On Friday, Spokesperson for the Department of Labour Candice van Reenen confirmed: “Through the intervention of the labour inspector, the employee and employer reached a settlement.

“The inspector was satisfied with the agreement and has emphasised that both employees and employers should be educated on labour legislation that could lead to self-regulation and a stable labour market.

In February, Lydia’s story sparked outrage.

Leave

She told the Daily Voice she had opened a case of common assault against her bosses in Ernest Road, Rylands.

She said she had been working for the family since April 2019 and claimed she was not allowed to leave the residence, even to visit a local tuck shop.
More at: https://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/western-cape/maid-allegedly-held-prisoner-in-rylands-home-awarded-r42-500-payout-45389473

wombling

Hang on a sec, let me get this straight.. So this maid is held captive in some Indian guys house for 10 months. They should have paid her like R30 000 in wages which they didn't do.

So if I assume that R30k was backpay of her awarded R42500, does this mean any her pain and suffering was only worth R12500? If so this means you can have your own slave with no basic human rights for the low price of R4250 per month.

I would expect that the Department of Labour would prosecute for the maid on her behalf, charges of assault and kidnapping at least. Essentially all this happened when she went to work. Instead they settled for R42500.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Hang on a sec, let me get this straight.. So this maid is held captive in some Indian guys house for 10 months. They should have paid her like R30 000 in wages which they didn't do.

So if I assume that R30k was backpay of her awarded R42500, does this mean any her pain and suffering was only worth R12500? If so this means you can have your own slave with no basic human rights for the low price of R4250 per month.

I would expect that the Department of Labour would prosecute for the maid on her behalf, charges of assault and kidnapping at least. Essentially all this happened when she went to work. Instead they settled for R42500.
I think a criminal case is a separate thing to the Labour process, the payment does not make the criminal case go away.

rambo919

Executive Member

Indian privilege? Or there is something we don't know about? This is all sorts of odd either way.