Thieves caught with R480,000-worth of cellphone tower batteries

Sollie

Honorary Master
I came here to say this :D fry the critters with the product they stole

The end result will be even more delightful.

Is that you Jacob? :p
If I can press that switch, you're welcome to call me Mary Pipeline or Mother Theresa, whatever takes your fancy ... :ROFL:

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
Seems like it's a prevalent occurrence just most times these guys are not caught.

Thorium

In the good ole days this type of crime was (correctly) seen and prosecuted as sabotage. Today it's vandalism.

How do you equate the impact of crime of depriving thousands of people of basic communications (and C&C where it is Police and Military) with that of a teenager with a can full of spraypaint?

dunkyd

Executive Member
MTN tower in Rangeview often has gate left open by one of the many unmarked bakkies that stop here daily.....

garp

Executive Member
48*12v (assuming) = 576v :unsure:

Each can get off free if they can hold the ends of a cable where all those are connected in series. :sneaky:
Connect them in parallel rather. You want the amps as high as possible, the voltage is not as important as the current when it comes to your stated objective.

Sollie

Honorary Master
Connect them in parallel rather. You want the amps as high as possible, the voltage is not as important as the current when it comes to your stated objective.
1A is more than enough. DC has a tendency to spams the muscles, so you can't let go. Just one small hold ...

33milano

They should be charged with overloading the vehicle as well, if the figures quoted are to be believed, that works out to over 4 tons.

Sollie

Honorary Master
They should be charged with overloading the vehicle as well, if the figures quoted are to be believed, that works out to over 4 tons.
I also made that mistake, was suddenly in awe of Ford ... that was the illogical the red flag ;)

It actually says this stuff was found at a location if you read carefully, although the article initially leads you to believe it was on the back of that poor ford.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Vodacom and MTN really needs to consider working with CPFs too, can sponsor a few torches and BP vests or such.

XTM

those batteries must have some kind of label or identification etc. why don't shop buyers inform to the relevant policing to catch those thugs..?