Thieves sentenced four years after stealing over half a tonne of cable

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
Thieves sentenced four years after stealing over half a tonne of cable

Eskom has welcomed the conviction and sentencing of three cable thieves, who stole at least 564kg of the power utility’s aluminium overhead conductor cable.

According to Eskom, Bafana Masilela, Antonio Munyathi and Gutu Gumba stole the cable in 2018 and were arrested following a tip-off to the power utility.

[SANews]

ScrooV

Oh well - perhaps they'll experience a power out whilst taking a shower...

epah

Executive Member
Should've been hung by the same cables they stole.

DiabloDane

Expert Member
we will feed them and keep them warm while they in prison anyway, delete this article

Purply

Expert Member
I was about to say the Headline of this thread is incorrect, but after reading it again it seems on point.

For a moment there I thought they only going to jail for 4 years, thankfully that is not the case.

biena

Executive Member
2 got 12 years one 15 years.

Still not good enough, should be found guilty of treason with the punishment relevant to that.

RonSwanson

Honorary Master
shoot to kill? or Old sparky , or Mr Needle will solve this,
what alternatives are there?
Nope, death is far too costly and quick for them, although I am a proponent of the death penalty for far worse crimes.
Something productive, involving hard labour for 20 years.

RonSwanson

Honorary Master
He was talking about the trial. It took 47 court appearances. You're talking about the sentence.

Are you always high?
That too, yes. Far too lengthy and costly. Far too inefficient. Needs fast tracking.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
That too, yes. Far too lengthy and costly. Far too inefficient. Needs fast tracking.
I went to court a total of 12 times and the magistrate warned the State that if they ask for a postponement one more time, he will withdraw the case. On my 13th appearance, the state asked to withdraw.

Imagine how much that cost the taxpayer? And how much it cost me!

R13...

Honorary Master
I went to court a total of 12 times and the magistrate warned the State that if they ask for a postponement one more time, he will withdraw the case. On my 13th appearance, the state asked to withdraw.

Why did the state ask for so many postponements?

o/t, article shows they were sentenced to 12/15 years, but heading says 4 years without stating if the rest are suspended or time served for the 47 appearances.

RonSwanson

Honorary Master

Good point, some of those useless prosecutors should be paying back the costs of their incompetence in their personal capacity.

R13...

Honorary Master
Ban all trade in 2nd hand copper.
That's throwing the baby out with the bath water. There is a lot of legit trade on the go and the industry has stated that one of the biggest shortcomings is enforcement which allows illegal traders to mix in stolen **** with legit metal.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
Good point, some of those useless prosecutors should be paying back the costs of their incompetence in their personal capacity.
Thanks for reminding me! One postponement was that the prosecutor dealing with my case was off sick. The replacement (who loooked like she was in matric) asked for more time to study the docket. It's preposterous!

BTW this was for that case where my ex had a protection order against me out of spite that I must not drink alcohol in my own ****ing house! Which is exactly what I did :ROFL: