Things that irritate you - Part 2

WorldWarII

was bad traffic on General Louis Botha on way into work , saw lady infront of me have a conversation with a guy that got out a taxi and recieve what looked like reliable directions. so when she turned off I followed her assuming we were heading in the same direction since we were stuck in the same traffic....

...we were not.

PhireSide

Executive Member
What's with all the closed-off roads in Sandton? Made driving through there a nightmare today as the GPS kept trying to take me down inaccessible roads.

Is it par for the course for JHB? I miss PE already, at least there I have some idea of how to get where I need to be without being redirected a hundred times

Sinbad

Honorary Master
What's with all the closed-off roads in Sandton? Made driving through there a nightmare today as the GPS kept trying to take me down inaccessible roads.

Is it par for the course for JHB? I miss PE already, at least there I have some idea of how to get where I need to be without being redirected a hundred times
Use Waze. It knows about most of the closures.

KT-B

Honorary Master
This is not as much of an irritation as it is a funny story, but parts of it are irritating so I will put it here for posterity.

A few weeks ago we adopted a doggo from the shelter. He is quite hyper, and absolutely loves going for walks and playing with his ball. As our yard isn't too large, we try to take him for walks every day after work and on weekends.

So last Saturday we took him for walkies again, and as usual we take his leash off to play ball with him on one of the common property areas where we stay. There were some kids walking and kicking a rugby ball around, so we walked across to one of the other common areas just in case. He is a friendly dog, but I would rather keep kids away from him as he does sometimes playfully nibble - and I would hate for that to turn into a dog bite case.

The kids decided to come our way and kicked their rugby ball up into the sky which frightened our dog, and he bolted. He had no leash on so we didn't have a way of stopping him. I took flight and ran after him and eventually he turned into one of the other roads in our complex. Now, most of the houses just have lawns and driveways so there isn't anywhere he can really run to, but certain units have rocks and other features on their lawns or trees planted for shade.

He bolted for one of the houses which had an open front door and I went into full-on race mode to try and stop him, my plakkies flying off in different directions as I sped down the road. He did a slight turn onto the lawn and gracefully jumped over a row of boulders planted next to the driveway and I followed suit.

What I did not do, however, was notice that next to these boulders was one of those decorative concrete fawns that look a lot like the one below, but has a nice textured brown hair pattern which made him quite camouflaged in between the boulders:

As fate would have it, I leaped over the boulders only to clip the poor bokkie's head with my big toe at full tilt and did a somersault onto the lawn and stopped near the edge of the next property. How my girlfriend didn't die laughing at me I don't know, because the sight of me catapulting through the air and this poor deer flopping onto its side must have been quite the scene.

Fortunately the deer was intact, but my toe wasn't and I managed to take off the majority of the skin on my right toe right down to the juicy layer, and the lawn looked like a great battle was just fought moments ago. At this point I am lying and writhing in pain, wondering where the dog had gone, wondering if I had snapped the deer's neck, wondering where my sandals flew off to and if I had broken my toe.

Wits gathered, deer uprighted and dog found I went off in search of my sandals which were lying about ten meters apart a few houses back. The walk back to our unit was a quiet one. I trampled the house full of blood. The feeling of disappointment was real and my ego was bruised, along with my toe. Nothing that a few Staaldruppels and some creative placement of bandages couldn't solve, but you can be sure the next time the leash will be kept closely at hand and I will be keeping my eyes on the ground much more closely from now on :)

TL;DR: Chased a dog, kicked a deer, used some Staaldruppels
OMG ouch! Glad your toe, doggo and deer survived.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
Sitting behind a d00s on his cell phone in traffic that allows huge gaps between him and the car in front of him and vehicles just fall into the gaps he leaves. Then at robots in peak hour you miss a green because he is texting and slow to pull away.

You eventually get in front of him and due to his texting he almost rearends you.

PhireSide

Executive Member
Buyers (Gumtree and Facebook Marketplace)

Got a set price for the item you're selling? Let me try and haggle you down by saying "that's all I've got".

You state that your item is collection only? Let me ask you to deliver it to me, in the next town over, for free. Bonus points if I demand this to be done during working hours.

Does your ad say "not willing to swop"? Let me just offer you a half broken iPhone and get mad when you decline.

Got a phrase in your ad that explicitly states cash only? Let me just pitch up and tell you on the spot that you can't draw all the money due to your ATM limit, and then ask for a lay-by.

Your ad states that you are selling everything as a bundle? Let me insist on buying the cheapest item of the lot and then tell you off for being a prick because you don't intend on splitting.

Your ad states "first come, first serve?" Let me promise you that I will have the money by the end of the next season, and that you aren't allowed to sell it to anyone else, or otherwise my cousin's nephew's son's dog will be mad at you for selling it to someone else that actually has the cash and can pay me the very next day.

R13...

Honorary Master
Protestors. Drove through an area this morning and only realised while in the middle of the debris that the local squatter camp must have been protesting and burning **** on the road overnight. I was luckier than the other guy who seemed to have had something disable his car though. Luckily I could drive through the debris field without any damage to my car.

gamer16

Executive Member
Protestors. Drove through an area this morning and only realised while in the middle of the debris that the local squatter camp must have been protesting and burning **** on the road overnight. I was luckier than the other guy who seemed to have had something disable his car though. Luckily I could drive through the debris field without any damage to my car.
Reminds me of once seeing the road covered in a white substance with fire extinguishers in the road, so I thought it was the foam from that, slowed down but realized to late that it was paint, my car is still covered in it underneath.

satanboy

Psychonaut seven
Work postal dept.
They signed for one of my deliveries. Never informed me that it arrived (they usually send emails). I asked them where my package was (have proof of signature of the receiver). Eventually 3 people were turning the place upside down looking for it. I refused to leave until they found it....which they did.

The_Mowgs

Executive Member
Work postal dept.
They signed for one of my deliveries. Never informed me that it arrived (they usually send emails). I asked them where my package was (have proof of signature of the receiver). Eventually 3 people were turning the place upside down looking for it. I refused to leave until they found it....which they did.
What was inside?