Things that irritate you - Part 3

When someone says the DA does little against gang violence, when you point out the DA doesn't control SAPs that's ANC. This ain't about politics...
So why bring up the DA? Oh right cause there are a certain bunch in CPT who believe the DA are evil, yet haven't really lived outside that pretty CPT bubble.

Windows built in f.lux is so buggy. Sometimes goes on, sometimes doesn't. Go do display settings & the one screen goes on, the other doesn't. Do it again and both screens go on. May as well just install f.lux again.

Getting up at 5am for a nice early ride,
Check in on my seaside solar system - offline.
Try to remote to my PC that side - offline.
Try to connect to the router that side - offline.
Fearing a total failure and the fridge+freezer defrosting I put the bike away, get in the car and drive 170km to check it out.

The cleaners left the router unplugged yesterday :mad: If only I checked the data for yesterday I would have noticed they were there between 1pm and 3pm....
View attachment 1603102

Plug the router back in, drive back home.
340km, 20l of petrol, R500 just to plug in a router.
I mean that is really decent fuel economy though. Turn that frown upside down.

Picture the scene: it's 2AM, the whole house is asleep and recharging for the next day, and PhireSide is awoken by a cold feeling on his right thigh.

Thinking it's the dog and her wet nose nudging me to get up to let her outside, I peek over and see she is still lying in her bed. But the cold feeling remains, and is making its way further up towards my groin.

Listen, I think I broke the speed of sound by the sheer motive force I had propelling me out of that bed at that instant. The people in the next neighbourhood over must have heard the sonic boom and called SAPS (and they may as well have called an ambulance for my heart that stopped) because I shot out of my prone position like a rocket and stuck to the opposite wall like a piece of gum on a school desk.

When I had the sense and sensibility to turn the light on, I found the biggest, ugliest, longest f**king centipede I have ever seen in my life crawling further up the bed to get in underneath my pillow. My fight or flight response died and went to heaven as my brain sort of just jammed in neutral as I was watching this fokken creepy crawly writhe around on the bed. I managed to grab the case for my glasses and caught the bastard inside the clamshell and tossed the whole skebang outside through the window; glasses case, oorkruiper, and my cleaning cloth all together. I figured I could deal with the aftermath once my heartrate returned back to earth.

Hopefully tonight brings a peaceful nights' sleep with no goggas.

Getting up at 5am for a nice early ride,
Check in on my seaside solar system - offline.
Try to remote to my PC that side - offline.
Try to connect to the router that side - offline.
Fearing a total failure and the fridge+freezer defrosting I put the bike away, get in the car and drive 170km to check it out.

The cleaners left the router unplugged yesterday :mad: If only I checked the data for yesterday I would have noticed they were there between 1pm and 3pm....
View attachment 1603102

Plug the router back in, drive back home.
340km, 20l of petrol, R500 just to plug in a router.
First mistake you made there (Assuming from a Motorcycle riders perspective, that you ride for the love of riding, not the militant terrorism of other road users and the public in general, as with most Cyclists)
Is that you didn't focus only on the ride, a brief escape is the best part of riding in the early hours.

Last edited:
Sysadmin interruptus.

Kinda like coitus interruptus, where you hit a stretch of getting into things just fine, then some fcking thing comes along (luser, meeting, loadshedding, something fcking bothersome) and spoil your tempo.

Then you have never truly lived
I've been to Musina - On a farm out in the middle of nowhere. That night when i made a huge fire in the boma....
Fcking Red Roman spiders running everywhere. One grabbed some insect and JUMPED with it onto a wall. Sitting there chomping it's victim.

I've been to Musina - On a farm out in the middle of nowhere. That night when i made a huge fire in the boma....
Fcking Red Roman spiders running everywhere. One grabbed some insect and JUMPED with it onto a wall. Sitting there chomping it's victim.
Oh ffs you have unlocked another core memory now...I was little and my dad caught a red roman in one of those jars with the magnifying glass as a lid that kids use. One EXACTLY like this:

1697612335628.png

Anyway, so after half a day of oogling this spider, my dad said I had to go release it. So I take the jar with the very pissed off spider inside to the garage and my intention was to let it go into a corner so it could go scavenge for food etc. Did this motherf**cker not decide to JUMP onto my hand the moment I opened the lid and start sprinting up my arm heading for which I can only assume was my jugular.

I think I set the land speed record of 1998 that day, and I still don't know where the jar ended up as I flung everything into the air. It probably landed in the rafters somewhere and the spider also probably made it to the moon that day.

Insects, man.

That's a lot of crabs.
Yeah, lots of dead things washed up after that storm 3 weeks ago. We don't normally see crabs though... :unsure:

I mean that is really decent fuel economy though. Turn that frown upside down.
Aye, but only if you really want it - had cruise control set to 100km/h then it goes down to 6l/100km. Had no choice, payday is a week away and the tank is now at 1/4

First mistake you made there (Assuming from a Motorcycle riders perspective, that you ride for the love of riding, not the militant terrorism of other road users and the public in general, as with most Cyclists)
Is that you didn't focus only on the ride, a brief escape is the best part of riding in the early hours.
It was blissful today.

Oh ffs you have unlocked another core memory now...I was little and my dad caught a red roman in one of those jars with the magnifying glass as a lid that kids use. One EXACTLY like this:

View attachment 1603460

Anyway, so after half a day of oogling this spider, my dad said I had to go release it. So I take the jar with the very pissed off spider inside to the garage and my intention was to let it go into a corner so it could go scavenge for food etc. Did this motherf**cker not decide to JUMP onto my hand the moment I opened the lid and start sprinting up my arm heading for which I can only assume was my jugular.

I think I set the land speed record of 1998 that day, and I still don't know where the jar ended up as I flung everything into the air. It probably landed in the rafters somewhere and the spider also probably made it to the moon that day.

Insects, man.
Spiders are not insects #justsaying

View attachment 1603460

Insects, man.
Now I know where Rincewind got his "ohshitohshitimmagonnadie" line from...

Back