Things that please you...

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Been half a year and new job and haven’t been shouted at or had anyone seriously upset at me. That’s a win I guess

maumau

Honorary Master
Just under 2... and yet to see if my flight will go ahead... and my wife will be stuck here a bit longer, but otherwise, I feel so much lighter.

Liez! You'll miss the taxis, beggars and power cuts.

saor

Honorary Master
(wasn't sure where to put this)
Funny when you visit the tech nerd friend who's had a kid for a few years and they've become a tech simpleton.

Hey can you steam this video to your tv quick?

"Ja sure...I've got a chromecast but hang on, oh wait I need to enable this thing, why's this not working...?"

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
So, last year we had the unfortunate incident of a broken camshaft belt on the Sharan.

cambelt cover.jpg

Engine is a 20 valve thing, 5 valves per cylinder. 8 inlet valves was OK, 12 valves was futted up ~ 8x exhaust valves and 4x inlet valves got bent.

bent valves.jpeg

Pistons was OK as the incident happened at a low engine speed.

So. Got new valves (entire set).

Removing the head took a whole day as there was lots of stuffits to disassemble and remove. Sent head in to engineering.

Due to all the valves getting replaced (valve stem seals also got replaced at the same time) it took a while to process.

When I received the head back, the Corolla decided to do the "crank, no start" issue, which set me back with two weeks waiting for a spare coil.

But anyway, eventually I got started on the head.

I discovered that the bolts in use are stretch bolts, and can only be used once. So, new bolts.

Plus you need a specific head bolt socket. Luckily I got the last one from Highveld Garage Equipment.

First job was to clean everything properly.

A new belt and tensioner with water pump was procured and installed. (It is recommend to do the water pump as well as it also run on the camshaft belt).

tensioner.jpeg

Then we started the reassembly of the head. Everything went well with the torque stages.

head installed.jpeg

And after that I had to figure out how to route the water and oil pipes to the turbo, and that got done.

Wherever I go, I checked for any broken pipes or other equipment, and replaced these. After all, it is easier to do so than trying to do it afterwards.

What also slowed me down was that I cleaned some of the ancillaries as I proceed. New gaskets + a dab of Victor Reinz silicone makes everything leak proof and good.

Then it was time to put in oil and water.

all ready.jpeg

Then the battery went flat as I was trying to crank it over. But I could hear that every cylinder was giving good compression.

Put the flattery on a charger for 30 minutes, and tried again. This time the car started immediately.

Yay. Happy chappy. Also, no oil or water leaks at all.

The only issue is that this guy is leaking a bit.

exhaust.jpeg

Making a bit of a noise and it is blowing out where I can't see it, but I can feel it. Have to take it off, apply a buttload of gun gum (or similar) on the gasket and put it back together. This is the only issue left, but I'm confident I can get it done this Sunday.

Last edited:

ABCpt

Expert Member
(wasn't sure where to put this)
Funny when you visit the tech nerd friend who's had a kid for a few years and they've become a tech simpleton.

Hey can you steam this video to your tv quick?

"Ja sure...I've got a chromecast but hang on, oh wait I need to enable this thing, why's this not working...?"
and then we call our kid over to show us how to do it :laugh:

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Officially up 100% on crypto. Pretty tame by the BTC veterans standards I know. Still a success for me

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
Ordered an Axxess SIM (Telkom fixed LTE) last week, got it this morning.

Speeds are not too shabby. Excellent stuff.

axxess-telkomLTE.png

RAIN's totally dead here... not worth the struggle getting throughput.

Last edited:

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
My seldom-used twatter account got suspended. It can stay suspended for a while longer.

akescpt

Honorary Master
So, last year we had the unfortunate incident of a broken camshaft belt on the Sharan.

View attachment 1023064

Engine is a 20 valve thing, 5 valves per cylinder. 8 inlet valves was OK, 12 valves was futted up ~ 8x exhaust valves and 4x inlet valves got bent.

View attachment 1023062

Pistons was OK as the incident happened at a low engine speed.

So. Got new valves (entire set).

Removing the head took a whole day as there was lots of stuffits to disassemble and remove. Sent head in to engineering.

Due to all the valves getting replaced (valve stem seals also got replaced at the same time) it took a while to process.

When I received the head back, the Corolla decided to do the "crank, no start" issue, which set me back with two weeks waiting for a spare coil.

But anyway, eventually I got started on the head.

I discovered that the bolts in use are stretch bolts, and can only be used once. So, new bolts.

Plus you need a specific head bolt socket. Luckily I got the last one from Highveld Garage Equipment.

First job was to clean everything properly.

A new belt and tensioner with water pump was procured and installed. (It is recommend to do the water pump as well as it also run on the camshaft belt).

View attachment 1023078

Then we started the reassembly of the head. Everything went well with the torque stages.

View attachment 1023068

And after that I had to figure out how to route the water and oil pipes to the turbo, and that got done.

Wherever I go, I checked for any broken pipes or other equipment, and replaced these. After all, it is easier to do so than trying to do it afterwards.

What also slowed me down was that I cleaned some of the ancillaries as I proceed. New gaskets + a dab of Victor Reinz silicone makes everything leak proof and good.

Then it was time to put in oil and water.

View attachment 1023066

Then the battery went flat as I was trying to crank it over. But I could hear that every cylinder was giving good compression.

Put the flattery on a charger for 30 minutes, and tried again. This time the car started immediately.

Yay. Happy chappy. Also, no oil or water leaks at all.

The only issue is that this guy is leaking a bit.

View attachment 1023070

Making a bit of a noise and it is blowing out where I can't see it, but I can feel it. Have to take it off, apply a buttload of gun gum (or similar) on the gasket and put it back together. This is the only issue left, but I'm confident I can get it done this Sunday.

Wow. Well done.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
How’s this going today?
Up 60% instead of 100%. Less awesome but still not bad for a couple weeks “effort”

Holding that (Conflux) long term anyway and moved more cash yesterday in anticipation of a dip in BTC so should make a quick buck on BTC side

US market appears to be nose diving in pre market today as well which is perfect timing since I got employer to preapprove purchases yesterday

Last edited: